The race for the 2013 flag

Remove this Banner Ad

The competition was outrageously close back then, these days it's you, Geelong and Sydney.

Compared to Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Sydney, Melbourne, Footscray and West Coast all having high quality teams.

Our run was ended by the best team of all time in Brisbane, nobody could compete with that side despite all the quality about.

Are you kidding me? Essendon 1999-2000 was so far above the competition it made Don Bradman look like Matthew Clark!

typical biased victorian

The Eagle and Crows are in the hunt but IMO I don't think either will make it.

If you think I'm being biased because I think that Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond draw greater crowds than other team then I think you need to get out from underneath your little rock. Victoria has the major advantage for the AFL as it has a stadium in the MCG that holds in excess of 100,000. Unfortunately Subi only holds 40-50k and although I don't for one minute deny both the Eagles and Dockers fans are just as passionate and that Subi is an amazing cauldron, they would not draw a 90-100k fans to any game except the grand final.

The Hawks are the only other team that can join the other four when it comes to drawing power for crowds. The proof is in the numbers, and I was just pointing out that the AFL will be licking their lips at the prospect of these teams possibly all making September

That's just the way it is mate. Sorry if you think that's being biased

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting day every hawks fan i run into is happier than a dog with two dicks the swans and cats lost, worried about their sides fragility in september i guess

Well despite Hawthorn playing average in the last two weeks we've actually still won the games unlike Sydney and Geelong, which actually says a lot about the Hawks really. So it's only just a matter of time now before we start playing close to our best. Of course a lot of things can change from now until finals.

Interesting day every hawks fan i run into is happier than a dog with two dicks the swans and cats lost, worried about their sides fragility in september i guess
Yep the team that has won more Premierships than any other club in the last half a century is fragile in September.

Or are you another one who thinks footy just started a few years ago?

Never fear the Hawks are crap and it is Sydney's flag to lose.

Honestly I think the only teams who are a real genuine shot at the flag are Hawthorn, Fremantle, Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and potentially Essendon.

So basically everyone firmly in the 8 except Richmond?

I do agree with your thought. We need to make the eight first before talking premiership contention. But a part of me still wants to give you the finger. lol :p

So basically everyone firmly in the 8 except Richmond?

I do agree with your thought. We need to make the eight first before talking premiership contention. But a part of me still wants to give you the finger. lol :p
You won't win the flag this year. Not a chance. I don't mean to demean your in all likelihood finals achievement but if you're not in the top 4, there's about a 1% chance of winning the premiership.

Are you kidding me? Essendon 1999-2000 was so far above the competition it made Don Bradman look like Matthew Clark!

Alive?
I'm confused.

Freo are easily top 4 this year,but i do wonder if they're going to able to kick a big enough score against teams like Geelong and Hawthorn who are kicking 20 goals on a regular basis. The last 2 times Fremantle have played Hawthorn they've scored 70 and 60 points with Hawthorn scoring 120 on both occasions.

Pavlich back will help this a little though.

Yep the team that has won more Premierships than any other club in the last half a century is fragile in September.

Or are you another one who thinks footy just started a few years ago?

Never fear the Hawks are crap and it is Sydney's flag to lose.

That's a silly argument for this years finals series.
What does a flag 46 years ago matter for this year? How many of your current players were running around back then?
Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything, just saying this argument is weak and irrelevant.

Not sure where the 'Hawthorn has massively underachieved/choked' sentiment has come from. Gee, we've been overratted over the last 5 years.

At no stage have we been the dominant team in the competition. Prior to this year, we have occupied top spot for only 5 weeks over the last decade! (not counting the first couple of rounds as this depends entirely on who you play). This was rounds 9-11 in '08 (before we'd played Geelong who won 4 more games than us) and round 22/23 last year.

Taking a closer look,
In '08 - We had played finals for the first time in years the year prior and finished 4 games and 30% behind a dominant Geelong. Won the flag.
'09 and '10 - injury depleted and rubbish - not close to a dominant team.
'11 - Finsihed 3rd, having lost all five encounters with the two teams above us. Lost a Prelim narrowly to the minor premier who belted us during the year. At no stage were we any better than the 3rd best team.
'12- Grabbed top spot (by percentage) with a round to go, having beaten Sydney by a goal after they won easily early in the year. So even was the comp that we finished just 3 wins clear of 8th. Made the GF but lost narrowly to the team we had a 1-1 record against (and who was playing better in finals). On top for 2 rounds and only by percentage means not a dominant team.

A flag, runner up and prelim is about par given where Hawthorn have been at.

Compare this to Collingwood who in the last few years have exactly the same record; a premiership, runner up and prelim to their name. In 2011 alone, they were on top for 15 weeks, had the minor premiership wrapped up 2 weeks before the end of the season and posted a record percentage. They have been a dominant side and have exactly the same to show for their efforts as Hawthron yet no one talks about Collingwood underachieving in the same way they do Hawthorn. Seems strange (and a by product of the media and pundits overratting Hawthorn).

Remove this Banner Ad

The race for the 2013 flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back