The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

But they didn’t get the job done in those years which confirms my point.

I know Dan is ranking these years in isolation but his bias is fairly self evident. When he posts about individual games in that season where “they eased up” then fair dinkum….
'Eased up' is probably the wrong term to use.

'Not going full throttle for 4 quarters' is probably more accurate. They put games away with a quarter of blistering football.

Yep.

For those who watched Essendon play in 2000 - this was the distinct pattern.

They would obliterate the opposition in a quarter or so of dominant football. Whether that was the first, second, third or fourth quarters was merely a footnote. It was a matter of when, not if.

Meteoric Rise - a question for you...

You have previously stated there was a period of time that you were living overseas and saw little to no football. Did you actually see much or any of the 2000 season?

I had equal to my biggerst bet over at the time in the 2000 Grand Final on Essendon to win by 60 points or more. Expected them to win by around 100, thought they were disappointing.

You're trying to argue that a team who were a Max Gawn kick on the final siren of the final home and away game away from finishing 4th at the end of the home and away season were better that the Essendon 2000 team?

You really need to do yourself a favour and put away the stats sheets and actually watch some football.

This is pretty funny.

Fadge reckons Melbourne 2021, who had a more dominant finals series than Essendon 2000, because Mebourne 2021 BEAT Geelong at their ludicrous ground during the home and away season.

That is why we call Fadge logic fagic ladies and gents.

Last edited:
You didn't answer my question - did you see much of the 2000 season?

You think a guy who bets all his life just walks into a TAB and has his biggest bet after 25 years of punting without knowing who he is betting on and who their opposition is?

You are looking to support a person making false claims and find holes in the person showing the claims to be false. Not sure what else anyone would ever expect from you, but some people might find that illuminating.

You think a guy who bets all his life just walks into a TAB and has his biggest bet after 25 years of punting without knowing who he is betting on and who their opposition is?
I don't know. That is why I am asking. Because I know you analyse by stats sheets - that doesn't necessarily mean you saw how Essendon went about their wins.

I'll make it simple for you - How much of the 2000 season did you see?

I don't know. That is why I am asking. Because I know you analyse by stats sheets - that doesn't necessarily mean you saw how Essendon went about their wins.

I'll make it simple for you - How much of the 2000 season did you see?

Within the normal limits of having to fit watching footy in around my lifestyle at the time, I saw all of it. Would have probably watched most of Essendon's matches. But I didn't keep a log book.

Essendon 1924 - got beaten in the final but awarded the premiership anyway - but you still think there are 20 teams worse than them?? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
There was no Grand Final that year.

I didn't realise 1783 was a higher number than 1788, whatever an 'Elo Rating' is...
I was talking about how 2 teams on the highest rated graph/chart failed to win the premiership.
I meant two of the three highest-rated teams failed to win the premiership.

The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players/teams in zero-sum games.

A 100-point difference in Elo ratings implies that the favorite has a 64% chance of winning; 200 points implies 76%, 300 points implies 85%, 400 points implies 91%, and 500 points implies 95%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back