The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope we have another 20 years of this thread so I can keep laughing at people not understanding that it only measures performance over one season.
How would you rank each of those 20 years?

How do you factor in the dilution of talent, given there are now 18 clubs, whilst 20 years ago there were only 16?
Inconsequential. Unless you're going to argue two extra club's worth of players makes up the difference of modern training techniques, fitness, injury management, tactics, etc all of which are light years ahead of 20 years ago?

Firstly, good on you for attempting the impossible.

Interesting that you have NM’s 1975 and 1977 flags so low. I know far less about those teams than others, but these premierships were in the midst of a run of five GF’s in succession (1974-78, and they lost a prelim in 1979)
To me, this is evidence of a pretty special team.

In the history of the AFL/VFL, this feat has been bettered only 4 times.

Hawthorn - 7 (1983-89)
Melbourne - 7 (1954-60)
Essendon - 6 (1946-51)
Collingwood - 6 (1925-30)

Am i missing something?

It is a good point. North were weak at the start of the 70's but had some strong young talent in Schimmelbusch, Grieg, Dench, Kekovich, Snake Baker, Briedis and Crazyhorse Cowton, Montgomery, Icke, Gumbleton and got Blight in from SA, Cable & Burns from WA, Sutton from Taz. During the mid 70's they added X Tanner, Feltham, Icke, and John Byrne. These were all talented players. Then they used the 10 year rule and possibly other devices to acquire from other clubs Barry Davis, John Rantall, Doug Wade, Stan Alves, Brent Croswell, Peter Keenan. There was a lot of talent that went through their teams in the 70's. They were only beaten in 3 Grand Finals by multiple Premiership teams from Hawthorn and Richmond.

I think between 67 and 89, 23 years, only 5 clubs won flags, Tigers, Blues, Hawks, North, Bombers. Every team that won a flag won more than 1 within a 6 year period max. Every one of those teams were very strong. They are not over-represented on Dan's list, put it that way.

There was a finals series and they lost the last game. It should not count as a premiership.

The winning team of the season was not decided with a Grand Final. It was a round robin tournament, and the team on top was the premiers. The EPL champions sometimes lose the last game of the league season, but provided they are on top, they are the premiers.

The winning team of the season was not decided with a Grand Final. It was a round robin tournament, and the team on top was the premiers. The EPL champions sometimes lose the last game of the league season, but provided they are on top, they are the premiers.
So you agree = it's not a real premiership.

Just another thing to dislike about that slimy club.

**** i miss 2000.........

Essendon were sick.

Final Fantasy 7 was popping off....

I still thought girls had coodies....

i didn't have a mortgage.....

**** i miss 2000.........

Essendon were sick.

Final Fantasy 7 was popping off....

I still thought girls had coodies....

i didn't have a mortgage.....
Could fly without getting molested and arrested for having a bottle of water.

The N64 was releasing banger after banger.

Pokémon was the height of cool

God, what I give to have been a 7 when 1990 started so I could of appreciated all the awesome shit that decade had with no responsibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon 2000 the most over rated..

They won a premiership with a midfield 6 of,
John Barnes,
Justin Blumfield
Jason Johnson
Chris Heffernan
Joe Misiti
Blake Caracella

All of them were okay footballers but not one of them a genuine A grader, when you compare this to the other great sides in Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond and even others like West Coast and Collingwood it looks second rate..

Essendon 2000 the most over rated..

They won a premiership with a midfield 6 of,
John Barnes,
Justin Blumfield
Jason Johnson
Chris Heffernan
Joe Misiti
Blake Caracella

All of them were okay footballers but not one of them a genuine A grader, when you compare this to the other great sides in Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond and even others like West Coast and Collingwood it looks second rate..
And yet none of them only lost 1 game for the year. :(

And yet none of them only lost 1 game for the year. :(
My theory is it was just a very soft year between the Carey led Kangas and the might of the Brisbane Lions era.

If you lined up The Bombers premiership team on paper v either Brisbane v Geelong great teams to select a best 22 IMO very few of the Bombers players would end up picked, Hird & Lloyd the obvious inclusions, Harwick maybe on the half back but outside of this I don't think another Essendon player makes the team.

My theory is it was just a very soft year between the Carey led Kangas and the might of the Brisbane Lions era.

If you lined up The Bombers premiership team on paper v either Brisbane v Geelong great teams to select a best 22 IMO very few of the Bombers players would end up picked, Hird & Lloyd the obvious inclusions, Harwick maybe on the half back but outside of this I don't think another Essendon player makes the team.
Cool.

Thats irrelevant to this thread though.

Remove this Banner Ad

The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back