The Rejects 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Tuck delisted by Hawthorn played SANFL drafted by Richmond.

Think Josh Carr also falls under the Nick Stevens rule of walking out on the club instead of the club delisting him he wanted to go home to Freo to play with his brother!

O'Bree wasn't a reject - Brisbane wanted to re-sign him but he wasn't interested - would have been better for the Lions if he had been traded instead of pick 1 in the 1999 PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Bree wasn't a reject - Brisbane wanted to re-sign him but he wasn't interested - would have been better for the Lions if he had been traded instead of pick 1 in the 1999 PSD.

I wasn't sure on this one, which is why I didn't have him in the team initially. If he walked then he comes out of the team. I thought Brisbane let him go due to salary cap constraints?

I wasn't sure on this one, which is why I didn't have him in the team initially. If he walked then he comes out of the team. I thought Brisbane let him go due to salary cap constraints?

Bit of a fine line really. Most players who are delisted are out of contract (because it is expensive to delist a contracted player). So then you are left with determining if an out of contract player was delisted at the choice of the club or if he "walked". In the cases of Nick Stevens and O'Bree there doesn't seem any question of whether they walked.

But take a Craig Bolton. He left seeking more playing opportunities. I have heard Leigh Mathews mention his situation a few times when he's been commentating on Swans games and his stance has been that they would have liked to have kept Bolton in an ideal world but they were aware he would continue to struggle to break into their team and hence did the right thing by him by being honest and not trying to persuade him into a new contract. So the choice to leave was essentially Bolton's. Does that make him a reject?

Don't know any whys and wherefores - heard nothing about salary cap - only recall it was hoped he would re-sign and it didn't happen.

On Craig Bolton and Shane O'Bree.

Bolton was doing very well for us in the reserves and when he got an occasional game for the seniors. Opportunities were limited with Lynch, Brown, Bradshaw, Leppitsch and Michael playing key positions. Bolton decided he wanted to pursue opportunity to play more frequent football elsewhere, and he left with the Lions' blessings.

Shane O'Bree was pick 10 for us in the 1997 draft (picked between Luke Power and Simon Black). Our club wanted to keep him when he came out of contract, but he wanted to head back to Melbourne, so walked into the PSD. Many at the club were unhappy about the way in which he left.

Do they have to be on another clubs actual list or does the rookie list count?
Liam Picken, was on Collingwoods rookie list and let go before we rookied him if there is a spot for a tagger in the team

Do they have to be on another clubs actual list or does the rookie list count?
Liam Picken, was on Collingwoods rookie list and let go before we rookied him if there is a spot for a tagger in the team

David Johnson is in this category as well. Seems there are a few that got on to another list after being a rookie elsewhere. Good on them!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rejects 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back