The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really a rumour but I thought it was interesting to note how JP went about nullifying Ronaldo.

Pantsil grabbed some cash from his coachFulham defender John Pantsil has revealed that coach Roy Hodgson gave him a cash gift of £10,000 for putting the brakes on reigning World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Ghana international was instrumental in their recent 2-0 defeat of English Premier champions Manchester United as he managed to contain the rampaging Portuguese playmaker. According to Pantsil he played strictly to the coach's instruction of man-marking Ronaldo out of the game which resulted in high-praise and the cash.
"I remember hearing our fans in the stands who were surprised at my refusal to join the attack shouting and urging me to go forward," Pantsil said.
"But I refused and it paid off in the end. Ronaldo couldn't score, we won the match and my coach gave me £10,000 for a good job done."

Speaking exclusively to 90 Minutes, Paintsil explained the instructions given to him by Hodgson before the match to give Cristiano Ronaldo no breathing space.
"The coach confided in me that he believed in my capabilities and so I should go into the game and prevent Ronaldo from causing any havoc if he's positioned on the left," the former Berekum Arsenals player said.
"The coach gave me specific instructions not to cross the centre line unless it was extremely necessary. If I had to, I would have to inform one of the midfielders to
cover me," Paintsil revealed. Fulham's impressive performance in the Premiership can partly be attributed to their
right side of defence where the Ghanaian ace has made his own in recent
weeks.

This wasn't the case in his earlier days in London when he was warming the bench of West Ham, if not playing for the reserves.
''I remember driving for long hours to train hard so I could catch the eye of the coach, only to be told I'd be playing for the reserves."

I have never been a fan of man marking, because then are pretty much only playing with ten men. However when players as good as that w***er, play against sides like fulham (no offence) you sort of dont have a choice. Good to see in this day and age of footballers being more about themselves then the team, some players are still committed to the team.

I have never been a fan of man marking, because then are pretty much only playing with ten men. However when players as good as that w***er, play against sides like fulham (no offence) you sort of dont have a choice. Good to see in this day and age of footballers being more about themselves then the team, some players are still committed to the team.
So you missed the bit about the 10,000 pounds then...

Good to see you back BB.

Thought you'd jumped off the bandwagon for a second there :D .
Hee! Nah, I was in Australia and far too busy to waste time on the internet. Now I'm back in work I've no option.

that torres one, is absolute bull**** he signed a new deal last week didn't he?
Course it is. Although it's certainly winding you lot up.

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz claims he has told the club he wants to leave at the end of the season, with Liverpool favourites to sign the 27-year-old.

Wolves have lined up a £4m bid for Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne.

Arsenal are poised to sign teenage Brazilian forward Wellington, who plays for Fluminense, in the summer.

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola is set to step up his interest in Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli.

Chelsea have agreed a deal for Rapid Vienna's teenage striker Phillip Prosenik to join them in the summer.

Sevilla striker Fredi Kanoute has insisted he has no interest in rejoining Tottenham, four years after leaving the Londoners.

Nottingham Forest will make an £800,000 bid for QPR keeper Lee Camp in the summer.

Derby defender Andy Todd is ready to quit the club and sign for Australian side Perth Glory.

Newcastle want Doncaster centre-back Matt Mills.

West Brom are leading the race to sign £1.5m-rated Swindon striker Simon Cox.

Leicester are planning a move for MK Dons midfielder Peter Leven.

Bruno Aguiar's agent says the midfielder could quit Hearts in the summer for a move to Celtic or Rangers after contract talks stalled at Tynecastle.

Hibs boss Mixu Paatelainen has made Northern Irish international midfielder Michael O'Connor, currently out of favour at Crewe, his top summer signing target.

Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh claims he is interested in moving to England, and would "give everything" to play for Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal. "A team like Tottenham could interest me, but not Sunderland," he adds.

OTHER GOSSIP
Wigan boss Steve Bruce looks set to give striker Amr Zaki a chance at redemption - after he returned late from international duty recently - by playing him for the reserves on Tuesday night.

Manchester United's Brazilian defenders Fabio and Rafael da Silva have revealed they turned down the chance to join Arsenal two years ago.

Blackburn could be about to dump midfielder Tugay after he was dropped by manager Sam Allardyce.

Bradford manager Stuart McCall will quit the club at the end of the season - only three months after signing a two-year deal.

QPR are interested in trying to tempt former Sunderland manager Roy Keane back into football but it is understood he is reluctant to join the club at this stage of the season

Paris St Germain's Benin international midfielder Stephane Sessegnon welcomes speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea.
"It is always nice to know that a great club like Chelsea are interested in me," Sessegnon, 24, told Orange Sport. "It is some sort of reward for all the hard work I have put in."

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o claims he has turned down a £35m move to Manchester City. Inter Milan also want the Cameroon star but he says he wants a new deal at the Nou Camp.

Tottenham are keen on signing Lokomotiv Moscow goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic, who is currently on loan at Grasshoppers Zurich, as back-up for Heurelho Gomes.

Arsenal, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are tracking CSKA Moscow's Czech Republic international striker Tomas Necid, 19, who is available for £3m.
\
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is set to swoop for teenage Brazilian centre-back Jose Rodolfo Pires Ribeiro Dodo from Corinthians. The 17-year-old could end up costing United £5m.

Ferguson is also watching 16-year-old Real Valladolid centre-back Victor Mongil, after being told the defender is one for the future.

Derby County defender Claude Davis hopes to turn his loan spell at Crystal Palace into a permanent move.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8013724.stm#top

OTHER GOSSIP
Ipswich representatives made an approach to Roy Keane last week - when Jim Magilton was still in charge at Portman Road - and held further talks with the former Sunderland boss on Monday.

Magilton, who had been in charge of Ipswich for almost three years, was sacked over the phone on Wednesday.
Part of the terms of Keane's appointment will see the former Manchester United midfielder relocate from Cheshire to East Anglia. Keane did not move house when he was in charge at Sunderland.

Aston Villa defender Martin Laursen is expected to announce his retirement by the end of the week. The Dane has been warned that attempting to play on through his persistent knee problems could cause him problems in later life.

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz fears his knee injury will cost him a big-money move away from Ewood Park this summer.

Newcastle United manager Alan Shearer will not drop Michael Owen despite the striker having failed to score in his last eight appearances for the Magpies.

Shearer is using a therapist to give his players one-to-one talks in an attempt to boost their confidence ahead of Monday's crucial clash with fellow strugglers Portsmouth.

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has postponed groin surgery until the summer so he can help the Magpies in their battle against the drop.

Arsenal forward Andrey Arshavin says he wants to stay with the Gunners for the rest of his career.

Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia will recover from his ankle injury in time to face Manchester United in the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals on Wednesday.

Liverpool's American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, have pledged to work together to raise the funds they need to refinance the club's loans and retain control of the Reds.

Former Chelsea boss Avram Grant has been offered the chance of taking over as manager of the Czech Republic.

AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is Chelsea's top target to be their next boss, has been learning English all season. England midfielder David Beckham, on loan at the San Siro from LA Galaxy, said: "Every time I try to fix his English, he insists on making errors and we end up laughing".

Inter Milan could terminate Adriano's contract on Thursday. The Brazil striker said earlier this month that he is taking a leave of absence because he has "lost the joy of playing".

Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce will hand a new one-year deal to veteran goalkeeper Mike Pollitt, 37, but will allow Antoine Sibierski to leave the JJB Stadium this summer.

Watford boss Brendan Rogers says club-record signing Nathan Ellington, who cost the Hornets £3.25m from Wigan in August 2007, has no future at Vicarage Road.

Derby County boss Nigel Clough is set to release more than 10 players at the end of the season as he looks to overhaul his squad at Pride Park.

Aston Villa defender Martin Laursen is expected to announce his retirement by the end of the week. The Dane has been warned that attempting to play on through his persistent knee problems could cause him problems in later life.

Shocking news, massive blow for Aston Villa going forward. One of the best centre backs going around.

Liverpool's American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, have pledged to work together to raise the funds they need to refinance the club's loans and retain control of the Reds.

**** off already, you clearly don't like each other, and no one else does either.

They're back together now PL. Sitting, laughing - giving each other nc's.

Just leave already. Please. Please. Please.

As if Laursens gone. Awesome player. :(

AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is Chelsea's top target to be their next boss, has been learning English all season. England midfielder David Beckham, on loan at the San Siro from LA Galaxy, said: "Every time I try to fix his English, he insists on making errors and we end up laughing"

Why doesn't that surprise me?

It would be like getting Victoria Beckham to fix your free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ibrahimovic: I Will Leave Inter

Just minutes after losing one striker in Adriano, another Inter forward has announced his intention to quit the Nerazzurri...

Inter star Zlatan Ibrahimovic has dropped a bombshell by admitting he could walk out on the club for a new adventure with another team.

The Sweden international is tied down to the Beneamata until 2013, but he admits that he would like to try something different as fans begin to sweat over his future.

"I have a contract with Inter and I am fine here, but at the same time I would like to try something new because I have been in Italy for five years now," Ibrahimovic told Eurosport.

"I have won everything in Italy and I have learned a lot from this country. However, there comes a moment in life, like when I was at Ajax, where you tell yourself that you have to try something new."

"I think Spanish football is more the way I play ... I like technical football and they play technical there."

The Nerazzurri will not be phased by the star's comments. The club have warned other sides that they will accept nothing less than €100million for their man.

Earlier this afternoon Inter terminated Adriano's contract following all his recent troubles. It will be a hammer blow if the club were to lose Ibrahimovic this summer as well.

Would be good in Spain. Super player, but can only see him at Madrid if anywhere. Barca don't need him, imagine Messi, Eto'o, Henry and Ibrahimovic at the one club. May as well get Drogba and Torres, to complete the 6 pack.

Would be good in Spain. Super player, but can only see him at Madrid if anywhere. Barca don't need him, imagine Messi, Eto'o, Henry and Ibrahimovic at the one club. May as well get Drogba and Torres, to complete the 6 pack.

Could see Eto & Hleb given the ass with Ribery and Ibrohimavic coming in. It would be even more of a killer side then IMO.

--------Valdez--------
Alves Puyol Pique Abidol
-----Xavi----Toure-----
Messi---Iniesta---Ribery
-------Ibrohimovic------

That would easily be the best team in the world on paper.

Ribery for money + Hleb, I read the other day. And Eto'o -> Milan was on the cards a few months ago.

I'd much rather get Villa than Ibra and Aguero should also be a chance. Unfortunately we can't have them all - not all at once anyway :(

Manchester City have held talks with Barcelona about signing Samuel Eto'o for a fee of about £40m. The Cameroon international striker has stalled on a new four-year deal at the Camp Nou and Barca could run the risk of losing him for nothing with 14 months left on his current deal.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez admits he may have to sell some of his current squad to fund his summer transfer kitty. The Spaniard is eyeing Valencia duo David Silva and Raul Albiol, as well as Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

Middlesbrough's record £12m signing Afonso Alves will join Benfica in the summer, even if the Teesiders escape relegation.

Tottenham midfielder Didier Zokora says he is ready to quit the club after losing his first-team place. Team-mates David Bentley, Tom Huddlestone, Gareth Bale and Jermaine Jenas also face uncertain futures at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham and Manchester City are among a number of clubs heading the list for Blackburn's Paraguay striker Roque Santa Cruz.

AC Milan owner Silvio Burlusconi says he is unsure whether Carlo Ancelotti will be at the San Siro next season, fuelling speculation the Rossoneri coach will join Chelsea in the summer.

Former Tottenham manager Martin Jol, now in charge of German side Hamburg, is favourite to succeed Jurgen Klinsmann, who was sacked as Bayern Munich manager on Tuesday.

Klinsmann's availability could interest Manchester City should the club decide to sack current manager Mark Hughes.

Manchester United winger Nani faces an uncertain future at Old Trafford following his second-half substitution in the 5-2 victory over Tottenham. The Portugal international has yet to complete 90 minutes in six Premier League starts this season.

Manchester City defender Richard Dunne has outlined his commitment to stay at Eastlands, despite interest from Sunderland.

Birmingham City and Newcastle are set to fight it out over £4m Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra.

OTHER GOSSIP
Barcelona striker Thierry Henry insists the Catalan giants are not just about Lionel Messi. ""Players like Xavi and Andres Iniesta are both unique and brilliant players."

Barcelona midfielder Xavi says Barca are a better side than the one beaten by Manchester United in last year's Champions League semi-final.

Chelsea right-back Jose Bosingwa believes he can contain Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final.

Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor says Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic is the toughest defender he has played against.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2398741.eceTottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas could face a possible Football Association rap for criticising referee Howard Webb following his penalty decision in Spurs' 5-2 defeat by Manchester United.

Sunderland striker David Healy could make his full Sunderland debut against Everton on Saturday, nine months after former boss Roy Keane signed him from Fulham for £1.5m.

Celtic's title bid has been handed a boost with news that captain Stephen McManus and striker Georgios Samaras will be fit for Saturday's lunchtime kick-off at Pittodrie against Aberdeen.

Livingston chairman Angelo Massone has been ordered to attend a meeting with SFL chiefs to explain the escalating crisis at the club. (

Hampden chief David Kells has leapt to the defence of the Hampden pitch following recent criticism, saying he will not be tearing up the national stadium's turf.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footba...p-final-says-boss-david-kells-86908-21314584/Celtic midfielder Marc Crosas has hit out at the standard of Scottish football, saying he feels derby experiences to date have been disappointing.

Falkirk have asked for a 50-50 ticket split for the Scottish Cup final at Hampden with Rangers in May.

Celtic could join the English Premier League within ten years, according to the club's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond.

Looks like dimwit Benitez is trying to sell Alonso again :rolleyes:

I'll go where Alonso goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back