The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the response we got apparently.

I hope you ask for something ridiculous because he's gash and I don't want him.

:) He has had a poor season, no doubt about that, but the season before he was called into the England squad because he is young, absolutely huge, has an eye for goal and has the potential to be a very very good player. He lacks agility and experience, but to say he's gash...well :D most top 4 supporters don't really have much of an idea about anyone that isn't loved by the London media....he's better than Pallister was at the same age...

I'd guess that Wheater will stay at Boro...Arsenal and Man City are also interested from reports and they are suggesting 5-6 million pound bids. I think it'd take another 2 or 3 million to make it worth us selling, which is why I think he'll stay because that is an inflated valuation. The quota system that is apparently coming will make the likes of Wheater and a few other young English players values rise to ridiculous levels and the clubs like Liverpool and co who haven't bought an English player in years will have to pay through the nose, or start giving their own youngsters a chance.

:) He has had a poor season, no doubt about that, but the season before he was called into the England squad because he is young, absolutely huge, has an eye for goal and has the potential to be a very very good player. He lacks agility and experience, but to say he's gash...well :D most top 4 supporters don't really have much of an idea about anyone that isn't loved by the London media.

Oh, the old "you support a top 4 team so you've got no idea" line. Really.. :rolleyes:

I could support Accrington Stanley and I would still have the same opinion.

Big useless carthorse defender. We've already got one of them in Carragher - and he disrupts our attacking play.

I'd guess that Wheater will stay at Boro...Arsenal and Man City are also interested from reports and they are suggesting 5-6 million pound bids.

Not sure why Arsenal would be interested.

Man City either for that matter.

Not good enough for either of them.

I think it'd take another 2 or 3 million to make it worth us selling, which is why I think he'll stay because that is an inflated valuation. The quota system that is apparently coming will make the likes of Wheater and a few other young English players values rise to ridiculous levels and the clubs like Liverpool and co who haven't bought an English player in years will have to pay through the nose, or start giving their own youngsters a chance.

You're talking about 6+5? That's not happening. It won't be allowed to happen and rightly so.

All it's about is the Champions League squad quotas. The simple solution would be promoting the brilliant Martin Kelly to 4th choice defender - but Benitez couldn't give anyone from the academy a chance could he? :rolleyes:

He's got to be the most anti-academy manager of all time.

Oh, the old "you support a top 4 team so you've got no idea" line. Really.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was uncalled for, but I couldn't resist :D

I could support Accrington Stanley and I would still have the same opinion

Yeah, plenty of them have no idea too ;) :p

I'm not pretending Wheater is the finished article. Far from it, but a bit like Gary Pallister he has the ability to improve shed loads with the right coaches and players around him. Ask United supporters like Shinners what they all thought of Pallister after his first few appearances...he was raw as, but SAF turned him into an extremely good player and he was bought for a hell of a lot more than the equivalent of 7 or so million. It was a British record at the time.

These days supporters expect players to be Paolo Maldini at 19 years old. It is unrealistic. Especially for giant Centre Backs. They need to be nurtured and taught the caper.

Not sure why Arsenal would be interested.

Man City either for that matter.

Not good enough for either of them.

That is your opinion, and fair enough. Personally I can see why Managers like Wenger and Benitez would like the opportunity to turn him into something.

You're talking about 6+5? That's not happening. It won't be allowed to happen and rightly so.

No, I'm talking about 5 or 6 + 2 or 3. So between 7-9 million would probably sway us imo. Like I've said it is an inflated valuation, but Boro are in a decent financial position and we'll already be selling Downing, Tuncay, O'Neil etc so would like to keep Wheater. I think he'll stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BREAKING GOSSIP
1632: Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has told Radio La Red in Argentina that he wants the Anfield club to sign his national team-mate Carlos Tevez from Manchester United.

1545: The agent of striker Marc-Antoine Fortune, who spent the second half of this season on loan at West Brom from Nancy, has told the Express & Star newspaper that both Wolves and Fulham are interested in signing him.

1511: Marseille striker Djibril Cisse is free to go on loan to another Premier League club, having played for Sunderland this season, sporting director Jose Anigo tells La Provence newspaper.

0955: Bayern Munich tell BBC Sport there has been no approach for Franck Ribery and he wants to stay at the club. "He is contracted until 2011 and we want to extend his deal," said a spokesperson.

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Chelsea are in talks to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Franck Ribery for £43m. Manchester United also want the 26-year-old French international as a potential replacement for winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Chelsea may be forced to pay a British transfer record of £45m if they are to land Ribery.

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho is planning an £8m move for Manchester City's Brazilian midfielder Elano.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has lined up Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez as a long-term replacement for Xabi Alonso. Bilbao want £10m for the 20-year-old.

Aston Villa have inquired about midfielder David Bentley's future at Tottenham.

Wolves are lining up a £3m move for Red Star Belgrade's Serbia midfielder Nenad Milijas. The 26-year-old is also wanted by CSKA Moscow and Roma.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is considering a swoop for two Wigan players - midfielder Michael Brown and defender Emmerson Boyce.

Nancy striker Marc-Antoine Fortune is weighing up an offer from Portsmouth after spending the end of last season on loan at West Bromwich Albion.

Stoke will offer midfielder Liam Lawrence a bumper new contract to ward off interest from Portsmouth.

Bolton and Blackburn are fighting it out for Villarreal's Chile international Matias Fernandez. The 23-year-old midfielder will make a decision once the Spanish season ends at the weekend.

Blackburn striker Matt Derbyshire has conceded he is ready to make his loan move to Olympiakos a permanent one. The Greek side are lining up a £3m bid for the 23-year-old.

And Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is ready to raid Marseille for Argentine defender Renato Civelli.

Hull are weighing up a move for former Manchester United midfielder Liam Miller, 28, after he was released by QPR.

Arsenal are set to sign Cheltenham's 15-year-old prodigy Jamie Edge for a basic fee of £100,000. Midfielder Edge chose Arsenal over Manchester United.

Middlesbrough have put winger Stewart Downing up for sale but only to a top-four club.

Derby have had a £400,000 bid rejected for Blackpool defender Shaun Barker.

Derby have even offered striker Liam Dickinson to Blackpool along with £400,000 to try to snare 26-year-old Barker. (Daily Star)

OTHER GOSSIP
Wigan will look to Swansea boss Roberto Martinez if Sunderland agree to pay the £5m in compensation to take Latics manager Steve Bruce to the Stadium of Light.

Alan Shearer, who is set to become the permanent manager of Newcastle, is playing hardball with Magpies owner Mike Ashley over a £15m to £20m transfer pot for next season.

Arsenal forward Robin Van Persie is stalling on a contract extension at the Emirates.
(Daily Star)
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez plans to shake up his backroom staff by replacing four coaches. Anfield legend Kenny Dalglish is tipped for an advisory role, while former Reds midfielder Gary McAllister could come in as a coach.

AFC Wimbledon are planning a multi-million pound move back to Plough Lane. The club, who have been promoted to the Blue Square Premier, want to develop Wimbledon greyhound stadium.

AND FINALLY
Bristol City's ground is set to become a Tesco store. The club will raise £20m from the sale of Ashton Gate to put towards the cost of a new 30,000 all-seater stadium at Ashton Vale.

BREAKING GOSSIP
1632: Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has told Radio La Red in Argentina that he wants the Anfield club to sign his national team-mate Carlos Tevez from Manchester United.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez plans to shake up his backroom staff by replacing four coaches. Anfield legend Kenny Dalglish is tipped for an advisory role, while former Reds midfielder Gary McAllister could come in as a coach.

I love hearing both of these. Especially good old GAZZA.

He did well for Sunderland this season with no service at all, he's always been a decent player and with better service he'd obviously score more goals.

He's no Torres obviously, but he might be interested in returning to Liverpool and he also might not be too unhappy with playing a bit part for most of the season (especially if we're in the race for trophies).

Arsenal are set to sign Cheltenham's 15-year-old prodigy Jamie Edge for a basic fee of £100,000. Midfielder Edge chose Arsenal over Manchester United.

Well, that's us done for the summer then. :thumbsu: :rolleyes:

BREAKING GOSSIP
1855: Newcastle full-back Jose Enrique tells Spanish sports daily Marca that he is happy to stay and play in the Championship but will "study any offer that could arrive".

1350 BST: Fulham's Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland maintains there are "no indications" he will leave Craven Cottage in the summer.
Arsenal are one of the clubs reported to be tracking the £8m-rated centre-half, but Hangeland said: "Speculation has become a part of daily life and at times it's quite tiring. Right now, there is no indication that I will change club."

1250 BST: Bayern Munich general manager Uli Hoeness insists Chelsea's reported 50m euro bid to sign Franck Ribery would not come close to buying the French international.
"A figure like that doesn't even give you rights, at best, to one of Ribery's legs," Hoeness told the Bild newspaper, "For the moment, no club has made itself known to us."

1000 BST: Brazilian World Cup winner Leonardo is set to take over from Carlo Ancelotti as AC Milan coach next season.

0950 BST: Chelsea have signed Russian international midfielder Yuri Zhirkov for $30m from CSKA Moscow according to Russian newspaper Tvoi Den. The tabloid claims Zhirkov will join on a four-year contract. (Russian tabloid Tvoi Den)
"Yuri has signed the contract with Chelsea just a day or two ago," the newspaper quoted Zhirkov's agent as saying. "He will join his new team this summer."

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Cristiano Ronaldo is set to throw Manchester United into turmoil and demand a move out of Old Trafford. The 24-year-old forward is a £50m target for Real Madrid.

Although Ronaldo will go on holiday before making a decision on his United future.

However, the prospect of Ronaldo joining Real Madrid may have receded with the Spanish side opting for the £40m signature of Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery.

In fact, Real Madrid will reject Ronaldo this summer as club president elect Florentino Perez has targeted Milan forward Kaka and Ribery instead.

Ribery was Chelsea boss-in-waiting Carlo Ancelotti's first-choice summer signing, but the Blues have lost out to Real Madrid. Ancelotti may look to CSKA Moscow's Russian left-back Yuri Zhirkov.

Chelsea have been told they will need to put up £20m for AC Milan midfielder Andrea Pirlo. Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti is keen to take the 30-year-old to Stamford Bridge when he is named Chelsea boss next week.

If Manchester United do not complete the permanent signing of Argentine striker Carlos Tevez this summer they will turn their attentions to Lyon striker Karim Benzema and Wigan's Antonio Valencia.

Manchester City and Liverpool are among five clubs who are willing to meet the £25m price tag for Tevez.

Tevez said a tearful goodbye to his Manchester United team-mates before leaving Rome alone after the Champions League final.

Paul Scholes must decide if the Champions League final is to be his final game for Manchester United. Stoke want the 34-year-old midfielder as a player-coach.

Sir Alex Ferguson may ditch Nani and Ji-Sung Park as the Manchester United boss reshapes his squad while Polish goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak will also leave this summer.

Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry is holding out for a summer move to Arsenal. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is considering a £12m bid for the 28-year-old.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson will try to bolster his defence by moving for AC Milan defender Digao, the younger brother of Brazilian forward Kaka. The 23-year-old has been on loan at Standard Liege.

Bolton are lining up a £6m bid for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso.

Portsmouth defender Djimi Traore hopes to make his loan move to Birmingham permanent.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has lined up a £2m bid for 20-year-old Manchester City striker Ched Evans.

Portuguese defender Nuno Valente will leave Everton this summer but the 34-year-old will play on for another year elsewhere.

Greek side Panathinaikos have bid £1.5m for Sunderland keeper Marton Fulop.

Birmingham will step up their pursuit of Middelsbrough's David Wheater, 22, after the £6m-rated defender successfully came through a knee operation.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle wants to sign Middlesbrough right-back Rhys Williams, who was a big hit during a loan spell with the Clarets.

Middlesbrough utility man Matthew Bates will quit the club as the 22-year-old does not want to play in the Championship.

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins is being linked with an £8m move to Italian side Fiorentina.

The Magpies have warned the clubs chasing defender Sebastien Bassong that they will not take anything less than £15m for him.

Sheffield United have rejected a £2m bid from Aston Villa for defender Kyle Naughton. The Blades have put a £6m price tag on the full-back.

West Bromwich Albion winger Chris Brunt is wanted by Rangers in a player-plus-cash deal that could see Barry Ferguson move to the Hawthorns. Brunt, 24, is also being tracked by Fulham.

Huddersfield want to nab Stockport striker Oli Johnson from under the noses of West Brom and Fulham.

Leeds have joined West Brom, Celtic and Leicester in the battle for Swindon striker Simon Cox.

Celtic striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink has told PSV Eindhoven and Twente Enschede he is not ready for a return to the Netherlands.

Dundee have made a £100,000 take-it-or-leave-it offer for Partick Thistle midfielder Gary Harkins.

OTHER GOSSIP
Former England and Mexico boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is favourite to become the new Portsmouth manager.

Alan Shearer is expected to discover today if he will become the permanent manager of Newcastle United.

Wigan manager Steve Bruce will be named Sunderland boss in the next 48 hours.

The Premier League will test out its strengthened fit-and-proper-persons rules on Portsmouth's new owner Sulaiman Al Fahim.

Sir Alex Ferguson may ditch Nani and Ji-Sung Park as the Manchester United boss reshapes his squad while Polish goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak will also leave this summer.
Bit harsh on Park, I think he has been a good squad player for Manure. Could be an interesting summer for them. The first player they should get rid of is Berbatov, second biggest wank in the EPL at the moment. El Hadji Diouf still holds the no.1 title. Could end up loosing CR7, Tevez, Nani, Kuszcrapnamezak, Park, Scholes. Not sure what Neville is doing. Talks of Giggs past it, but I think he's still a good enough for the EPL but probably past it on the european stage.

Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry is holding out for a summer move to Arsenal. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is considering a £12m bid for the 28-year-old.
Just sign someone who is +25 years old. Would be more certain of a 1st team place if he played for us compared to Liverpool. Definately need to improve the central midfield but I'm not sure he's defensive enough. We need a tough SOB and he doesn't fit the bill imo.

What has happened to Miguel Veloso?

Last year he was rejected a 20mil move to us saying he is a top 4 player, and now he is set for a 6mil move to Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back