The run home and the finals format

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically the competition needs Sydney to lose to GWS or the Pies. If that was to occur, then it really opens up for teams 4-7.

Doggies are flying, but have WCE and then North in consecutive weeks, can see them being a bit tired after the Perth trip.

Dockers also to be a bit weary after a derby prior to their clash with us.

And Richmond have more chance of beating Hawthorn again then they do against North for some reason.

From a North perspective, I'm hopeful of a pies win this Friday to keep top 4 alive as Sydney don't deserve to be there on form.

Basically the competition needs Sydney to lose to GWS or the Pies. If that was to occur, then it really opens up for teams 4-7.
No, it doesn't need that
Sydney are more of a threat to Hawthorn in the finals than any other side apart from Freo (my own side included ) .
Regardless , we are set for a one-sided finals season .
Opening up 4-7 to other inexperienced sides isn't really a good thing

Doggies are flying, but have WCE and then North in consecutive weeks, can see them being a bit tired after the Perth trip.
Not as tired as we will be after Hawthorn/Freo in consecutive weeks

It will be similar to the start of the year in that it won't be a close contest

And Richmond have more chance of beating Hawthorn again then they do against North for some reason.

From a North perspective, I'm hopeful of a pies win this Friday to keep top 4 alive as Sydney don't deserve to be there on form.
You might be right about Richmond
Sydney deserve to be where they are because they've been more consistent than the teams below them

Please don't flatter yourself, if we play at our best I'd back us to beat your mob. Last 2 times we have played you we were in the middle of a massive form slump.

If we do get you twice in a row at least the final would be at the g rather than etihad where for some reason we always play you.

ah no!
The crows will make it. show some respect!

That is no certainty. That game vs West Coast in R22 will decide Adelaide's finals fate assuring they beat Essendon and Brisbane because it is going to be hard to win at Geelong, Adelaide has a terrible record there.

Please don't flatter yourself, if we play at our best I'd back us to beat your mob. Last 2 times we have played you we were in the middle of a massive form slump.

If we do get you twice in a row at least the final would be at the g rather than etihad where for some reason we always play you.

Look, admittedly this is the case.... however we have beaten you at the MCG and blundstone recently enough to ensure that you really are clutching at straws. This includes losses of 10 goals, 7 goals etc and another where we gave you a 6 goal start and took 10 mins to get ahead.

The fact of the matter is, you guys have improved but despite some great games / wins, you still are pretty fragile (like us).

Some teams just beat other teams, and for you guys, that team is us.

Look, admittedly this is the case.... however we have beaten you at the MCG and blundstone recently enough to ensure that you really are clutching at straws. This includes losses of 10 goals, 7 goals etc and another where we gave you a 6 goal start and took 10 mins to get ahead.

The fact of the matter is, you guys have improved but despite some great games / wins, you still are pretty fragile (like us).

Some teams just beat other teams, and for you guys, that team is us.
True you do have the wood over us however we have never played you when we've been in good form. Would be no better time to beat you then at a cut throat final in front of 70k fans

????

What game won't get more than 50,000???

http://afltables.com/afl/seas/1997.html
1997 Preliminary Final - Bulldogs v Crows (70,088)

http://afltables.com/afl/seas/1998.html
1998 Preliminary Final - Bulldogs v Crows (67,557)

Which game won't get more than 50,000???

haha yeah my bad. i remember them getting sub 50000 to finals games a fews back but i reckon they were to interstate sides. probably be a different story if they played geelong. but regardless surely the bulldogs can have a final at etihad if geelong can have one at SS

haha yeah my bad. i remember them getting sub 50000 to finals games a fews back but i reckon they were to interstate sides. probably be a different story if they played geelong. but regardless surely the bulldogs can have a final at etihad if geelong can have one at SS

Agree in part but only against an interstate club.

Currently a very interesting dynamic from 4th to 8th with teams likely to jostle for position to either play finals (outside the 8) or to finish as best they can from 4th-8th.

Currently;

Western Bulldogs (4th) 48 points
Sydney (5th) 48 points
North Melbourne (6th) 44 points
Richmond (7th) 44 points
Geelong (8th) 42 points
------------------------------------------
Adelaide (9th) 42 points
GWS (10th) 40 points

I have taken into account the remaining games and my ladder predictor has come up with the following;

Sydney (4th) 64 points
-------------------------------------------------
Western Bulldogs (5th) 60 points
Richmond (6th) 56 points
North Melbourne (7th) 52 points
Geelong (8th) 50 points

Which makes some finals very interesting in round 1. From this, I think the layout of the finals will occur the following way;

1. Fremantle
2. West Coast
3. Hawthorn
4. Sydney
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Richmond
7. North Melbourne
8. Geelong

Qualifying finals
Fremantle vs Sydney (Fremantle)
West Coast vs Hawthorn (Hawthorn)

Elimination finals
Western Bulldogs vs Geelong (Geelong)
Richmond vs North Melbourne (North Melbourne)

Semi Finals
Sydney vs Geelong (Geelong)
West Coast vs North Melbourne (West Coast)

Preliminary Finals
Fremantle vs West Coast (West Coast)
Hawthorn vs Geelong (Hawthorn)

Grand Final
Hawthorn vs West Coast (Hawthorn)

Few surprises here;
  • Geelong to win 2 finals in a row
  • Richmond to lose elimination final for the 3rd year running
  • Fremantle to be upset by West Coast in preliminary final
  • Sydney out in straight sets
Interesting to see what other people come up with for their ladder predictors!

As far as the ladder predictor goes, then I'd say it's not a bad guess -far better than the guesses/comments from Ashley Browne on AFL.com

I think you could make a case to say that the Dogs haven't played/beaten a top 6 side in ages - so I am of the belief that they are playing well but if they were a stock - it would be sell! sell!

I think they'll get pantsed in WA and the Kangas game is 50/50

North have been very shaky and anything could happen with them. They don't look that capable to me.

Things very rarely go to script though. Expect a few more shock results before the year is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He
As far as the ladder predictor goes, then I'd say it's not a bad guess -far better than the guesses/comments from Ashley Browne on AFL.com

I think you could make a case to say that the Dogs haven't played/beaten a top 6 side in ages - so I am of the belief that they are playing well but if they were a stock - it would be sell! sell!

North have been very shaky and anything could happen with them. They don't look that capable to me.

Things very rarely go to script though. Expect a few more shock results before the year is out.
Hence why I think they'll get bundled out in week 1. That's my equivalent of your stock crashing and losing money!

They haven't played a top 6 team in ages because they played 4 of them earlier in the year and beat two of them. The other top 6 team is North who they play soon.
They also beat the team who is 7th who think they should be in the top 6.

They haven't played a top 6 team in ages because they played 4 of them earlier in the year and beat two of them. The other top 6 team is North who they play soon.
They also beat the team who is 7th who think they should be in the top 6.

Do they? Where did the club say that?

Good luck to the Dogs, but only simple minded commentators and getting ahead of themselves fans think that they'll finish top 4 and challenge anyone in the finals.

1. Fremantle
2. West Coast
3. Hawthorn
4. Sydney
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Geelong
7. North Melbourne
8. Richmond

Qualifying finals

Elimination finals
Western Bulldogs vs Richmond (Richmond) - Will be at the G Dogs will be overwhelmed by 60000 Tigers supporters desperate for a finals win
Geelong vs North Melbourne (Geelong)

Semi Finals
Sydney vs Richmond (Sydney)
West Coast vs Geelong (West Coast)

Preliminary Finals
Fremantle vs West Coast (Freo)
Hawthorn vs Sydney (Sydney)

Grand Final
Sydney vs Freo (Freo) - mostly because I couldn't think of anything less exciting than another Hawthorn grandfinal

Ross have been playing only in patches but they are still winning which is a good thing for them , but will be problematic against the better sides if they play a patchy game . But If they can put 4 good quarters together gonna be very hard to beat IMO.

1. Fremantle
2. West Coast
3. Hawthorn
4. Sydney
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Geelong
7. North Melbourne
8. Richmond

Qualifying finals

Elimination finals
Western Bulldogs vs Richmond (Richmond) - Will be at the G Dogs will be overwhelmed by 60000 Tigers supporters desperate for a finals win
Geelong vs North Melbourne (Geelong)

Semi Finals
Sydney vs Richmond (Sydney)

Preliminary Finals
Fremantle vs West Coast (Freo)
Hawthorn vs Sydney (Sydney)

Grand Final
Sydney vs Freo (Freo) - mostly because I couldn't think of anything less exciting than another Hawthorn grandfinal

If swans lose this week then pressure gonna come on them . Pies aren't playing great but have a pretty good record against them in Sydney over the years so could be interesting as Swans have been a bit off lately. They then have GWS week after at GWS home ground and GWS are playing some good footy again.

I don't understand how people have North Melbourne in over the Crows..?
Their last 4 matches are St Kilda (W), Fremantle (L), Dogs (L), Richmond (L).

I've got:

1. Fremantle
2. Hawthorn
3. West Coast
4. Sydney
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Richmond
7. Geelong
8. Adelaide

Qualifying finals

Elimination finals
Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide (Western Bulldogs)
Richmond vs Geelong (Geelong)

Semi Finals
Sydney vs Western Bulldogs (Sydney)

Preliminary Finals
Fremantle vs West Coast (Fremantle)
Hawthorn vs Sydney (Hawthorn)

Grand Final
Hawthorn vs Fremantle (Hawthorn)

Ok Bulldogs have been fantastic this year however you have to go back to rd 5 for their last win over a top 8 side. However that really isn't their fault as since that win over Sydney they have played 1 team in the top 8, that being a loss to the cats a few weeks ago.

I'm holding my judgment on the dogs based on their draw this year.

The Dogs have played all bar 1 team ... and are 3-2 against the rest of the top 7

Some people seem to think beating West Coast, Sydney and Richmond means nothing just because it was earlier in the year ... still good wins. Also lost to Freo by just over a kick. Our bigger problem has been the two losses to struggling teams

Currently a very interesting dynamic from 4th to 8th with teams likely to jostle for position to either play finals (outside the 8) or to finish as best they can from 4th-8th.

Currently;

Western Bulldogs (4th) 48 points
Sydney (5th) 48 points
North Melbourne (6th) 44 points
Richmond (7th) 44 points
Geelong (8th) 42 points
------------------------------------------
Adelaide (9th) 42 points
GWS (10th) 40 points

I have taken into account the remaining games and my ladder predictor has come up with the following;

Sydney (4th) 64 points
-------------------------------------------------
Western Bulldogs (5th) 60 points
Richmond (6th) 56 points
North Melbourne (7th) 52 points
Geelong (8th) 50 points

Which makes some finals very interesting in round 1. From this, I think the layout of the finals will occur the following way;

1. Fremantle
2. West Coast
3. Hawthorn
4. Sydney
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Richmond
7. North Melbourne
8. Geelong

Qualifying finals

Elimination finals
Western Bulldogs vs Geelong (Geelong)
Richmond vs North Melbourne (North Melbourne)

Semi Finals
Sydney vs Geelong (Geelong)
West Coast vs North Melbourne (West Coast)

Preliminary Finals
Fremantle vs West Coast (West Coast)
Hawthorn vs Geelong (Hawthorn)

Grand Final

Few surprises here;
  • Geelong to win 2 finals in a row
  • Richmond to lose elimination final for the 3rd year running
  • Fremantle to be upset by West Coast in preliminary final
  • Sydney out in straight sets
Interesting to see what other people come up with for their ladder predictors!

Not that surprising if you are thinking we'll be playing North in the finals. What is worse than playing North in the finals is playing them in the finals after having played them the week before. North overload

Remove this Banner Ad

The run home and the finals format

Remove this Banner Ad

Back