Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - The Boss Tony Popovic

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Poppa still predominantly run with a back 5 that becomes a back 3 once the wingers take off?
I reckon his game style will suit World Cup qualifying. Sure may be boring and defensive and a lot of counter attacking but its qualifying it doesn't need to be pretty just need to get results.

I reckon his game style will suit World Cup qualifying. Sure may be boring and defensive and a lot of counter attacking but its qualifying it doesn't need to be pretty just need to get results.
I didn't find it boring when he was running the show at the Glory. Davidson and Franjic were exciting to watch whilst Spiranovic and Djulbic were solid and reliable. It sparked life into Kilkenny and Castro too. It was genuinely brilliant seeing the Glory with a reliable defence. Shame it only lasted one season.

Not sure if the Socceroos have the cattle in reserves to play such an attacking brand right now but you never know.

Yeah, I saw enough at Victory and at the Wanderers to suggest he's probably the perfect man for a safe, boring qualification campaign. Problem is we've shat on coaches who've done it that way in the past.

One thing that Popa does have going for him is that his hands are clean after the Victory. He ran a good operation, the team were improving under his watch - we just couldn't afford to keep paying his wage, and he (fairly enough) wasn't prepared to take a pay cut.

Tony Popovic announced as Socceroos coach

Tony Popovic named as new Socceroos coach​

Tony Popovic will be the new coach of the Socceroos, succeeding Graham Arnold.
The 51-year-old has been in coaching for more than a decade, and led the Western Sydney Wanderers to the AFC Champions League title in 2014.
His most recent role was as coach of A-League Men side Melbourne Victory, the club finishing runner-up in 2024.
Australia has started poorly in the latest round of World Cup qualifying, losing 1-0 to Bahrain and drawing 0-0 with Indonesia. The Socceroos are ranked 23rd in the world, while Bahrain are 81st and Indonesia 134th.

Only the top two teams in each group qualify directly for the 2026 World Cup with the third and fourth-placed teams progressing to the next round of qualifying. Australia are fifth after the first two games.
Popovic's first challenge will be against China on 10 October in Adelaide, and then Japan five days later in Saitama.

Who is Tony Popovic?​

Tony Popovic started his professional career at Sydney United, making 162 appearances over seven seasons, before moving to Sanfrecce Hiroshima in Japan's top division.
The defender moved to Crystal Palace and was club captain, and then returned to Australia to play for Sydney FC.
He played 58 games for Australia and appeared at the 2006 World Cup.

Popovic was the inaugural coach of Western Sydney Wanderers in the 2012-13 season and led the team to the premiership. A year later the Wanderers won the AFC Champions League — a story shown in the SBS documentary Came From Nowhere.
He coached briefly in Türkiye, returned to Australia to take charge of Perth Glory, then moved to Greek side Xanthi FC.
In April 2021, Popovic returned to Australia again and took charge of Melbourne Victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Popovic. So no complaints about the appointment per se, but it's disheartening that the announcement is made 3 days after Arnold resigned.

That tells me there was probably was no proper process involved. Just get who you can, and Tony was available.

With another international break coming up I think they didn't want to waste time so he can get as much work with the squad as possible.

I like Popovic. So no complaints about the appointment per se, but it's disheartening that the announcement is made 3 days after Arnold resigned.

That tells me there was probably was no proper process involved. Just get who you can, and Tony was available.
how do we know there wasn't discussions prior to Arnold resigning?

With another international break coming up I think they didn't want to waste time so he can get as much work with the squad as possible.

Sure, I get that. It still doesn't sit all that well with me from a procedural point of view.

I'm not saying he's the wrong appointment, but I'd rather them take the time to get it right.

All hail king Popovic! Press conference in the X twitter link article below.

Also they only mention he signed on permanent basis, no fixed term?

Probably just until Muscat comes free

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - The Boss Tony Popovic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back