Opinion The 'Super Seven'

Remove this Banner Ad

Wee
We've got six new players coming to the Lions in 2014.

Pick No.7 – James Aish (Norwood)
Pick No.22 – Darcy Gardiner (Geelong Falcons)
Pick No.25 – Daniel McStay (Eastern Ranges)
Pick No.28 – Lewis Taylor (Geelong Falcons)
Pick No.33 – Tom Cutler (Oakleigh Chargers)
Pick No.34 – Nick Robertson (West Perth)

Who will make it into our 22 in 2014? How do you see them slotting in over the next couple of years?

What are you most excited about with respect to these young guns?

We can keep the alliteration... but should the thread be the "Super Seven" - Jono Freeman (no. 62) ;)

Not sure why people are talking about Taylor as a forward. He has played minimal time as a forward and I highly doubt he will play as a forward at AFL level. Taylor is a midfielder and a very, very good one at that. He was rated on talent alone as one of the best players in the country by players his age. He's the type of midfielder that will get 30-40 touches per game, contested & uncontested, and use it extremely well with both feet. The Brent Harvey comparisons come from his constant 1-2's with teammates. His height is the only thing that has held him back and caused him to slide. We have a very good footballer on our hands and I'd expect that he will play senior football next year, purely as a midfielder.

Aside from that, ecstatic with all of our choices,With seven new draftees and rookies to come, they will need to get a bigger house to put them all in!

Not sure why people are talking about Taylor as a forward. He has played minimal time as a forward and I highly doubt he will play as a forward at AFL level. Taylor is a midfielder and a very, very good one at that. He was rated on talent alone as one of the best players in the country by players his age. He's the type of midfielder that will get 30-40 touches per game, contested & uncontested, and use it extremely well with both feet. The Brent Harvey comparisons come from his constant 1-2's with teammates. His height is the only thing that has held him back and caused him to slide. We have a very good footballer on our hands and I'd expect that he will play senior football next year, purely as a midfielder.

Aside from that, ecstatic with all of our choices,With seven new draftees and rookies to come, they will need to get a bigger house to put them all in!

Like Green before he joined us...

Taylor's main position is no doubt in the midfield, but there is a fair chance he could start up forward at the next level.

Not happy about this Aish acquisition. We have too many good mids now and too much depth.

How is Leppa gonna make a decision each week?

Not happy about this Aish acquisition. We have too many good mids now and too much depth.

Not sure if srs.

Can't wait for NAB cup, it'll be interesting to see if any of the draftees get a go.

However, i'm still more excited to see Claye Beams and Harwood.

Isn't it nice to have some positive news again? Maroon tinted glasses back on!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if srs.

Can't wait for NAB cup, it'll be interesting to see if any of the draftees get a go.

However, i'm still more excited to see Claye Beams and Harwood.

Isn't it nice to have some positive news again? Maroon tinted glasses back on!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

You need to change your sig! Or at least replace Yeo! :p

Mummies boys have done us a favour.

For the record; from a once clinically depressed lion supporter:
Congratulations Lions on some fantastic recruiting, (love-it, best ever).
We had need for speed, quality guys around the ball, runners, got-it, great!

Hoping Leppa fires up and embraces the clearly talented young guys;
absolutely learns the lesson from the last couple of seasons
and please, please, does not do the hold-back the young guys stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for long post.

very happy with the mix of players we got. I wander if we could have got Gardiner and McStay at 25/28 and who we'd have picked at 22 otherwise (Dumont perhaps) but thats just being picky.

from Conole's quotes on McStay I get the impression the club sees him more as a flanker at least at this stage despite his height (194cm). Perhaps he is a knotting/darryl white type who will develop into a 3rd tall defender over his career as he fills out a bit and gets smarter as a player.

Robertson certainly seems to have the physique to step straight into the league but you'd think that having only played a few games last season the club will ease him into it a bit.

I can see Aish and Taylor stepping straight into our midfield mix and playing 12-16 games next year. Perversly that might allow Hanley, Rich or Redden to move onto a back flank as a Yeo/Docherty replacement - similar to playmakers at other clubs who are essentially midfielders in teh back line (Mitchell, Gibbs, Goddard)

You'd think the club would look to use more mature bodies at key defense next year while Gardiner/McStay develop but they might get a few taster runs to be prepared for 2015 when Maguire would have surely retired and Bourke/Michael may have been delisted.

Cutler I haven't seen much comment to base an opinon on so I won't say anything.

I was impressed wiht Freeman's video highlights on afl.com.au - seemed to attack the ball in marking contests (which went against some 'soft' calls I'd seen) and also be very athletic for someone his size. That combination might see him jump ahead of Lisle/Martin over the course of the year (who are more limited) which would sound their death knell. We'll see more of what Close and Paparone can do next year as well.

Re: Rookie Draft.
I understnad with Banfield being demoted to a rookie we have 3 currently. Banfield, Bourke, Michael.

You are allowed 6(?).

Given the number of supposedly surprisingly overlooked players in the draft (eg. Templeton) there must be some chance we'll pick up someone from another state as a rookie.

That would leave 3 into 2 for Archie, Conway and Tickner wouldn't it?

and thats assuming we use all 6 rookie spots.

Anyway fwiw I'd get a ruckman as a rookie as we are probably a bit short in pure ruckman on our list and the two on our rookie list we are trying to turn into defenders. other than that not sure.

I actually think Cutler may play the most games next year out of all the draftees. He looks like he's got an Afl body and fills a need.

Rapt with all the draftees though including big Jono Freeman. Despite some of the steals we got he could end up the best value of all of em.

The same way Vossy did - who's mowing his lawn, who's picking up the kids, who's got the incriminating photos?

Sorry for long post.

very happy with the mix of players we got. I wander if we could have got Gardiner and McStay at 25/28 and who we'd have picked at 22 otherwise (Dumont perhaps) but thats just being picky.

from Conole's quotes on McStay I get the impression the club sees him more as a flanker at least at this stage despite his height (194cm). Perhaps he is a knotting/darryl white type who will develop into a 3rd tall defender over his career as he fills out a bit and gets smarter as a player.

Robertson certainly seems to have the physique to step straight into the league but you'd think that having only played a few games last season the club will ease him into it a bit.

I can see Aish and Taylor stepping straight into our midfield mix and playing 12-16 games next year. Perversly that might allow Hanley, Rich or Redden to move onto a back flank as a Yeo/Docherty replacement - similar to playmakers at other clubs who are essentially midfielders in teh back line (Mitchell, Gibbs, Goddard)

You'd think the club would look to use more mature bodies at key defense next year while Gardiner/McStay develop but they might get a few taster runs to be prepared for 2015 when Maguire would have surely retired and Bourke/Michael may have been delisted.

Cutler I haven't seen much comment to base an opinon on so I won't say anything.

I was impressed wiht Freeman's video highlights on afl.com.au - seemed to attack the ball in marking contests (which went against some 'soft' calls I'd seen) and also be very athletic for someone his size. That combination might see him jump ahead of Lisle/Martin over the course of the year (who are more limited) which would sound their death knell. We'll see more of what Close and Paparone can do next year as well.

Re: Rookie Draft.
I understnad with Banfield being demoted to a rookie we have 3 currently. Banfield, Bourke, Michael.

You are allowed 6(?).

Given the number of supposedly surprisingly overlooked players in the draft (eg. Templeton) there must be some chance we'll pick up someone from another state as a rookie.

That would leave 3 into 2 for Archie, Conway and Tickner wouldn't it?

and thats assuming we use all 6 rookie spots.

Anyway fwiw I'd get a ruckman as a rookie as we are probably a bit short in pure ruckman on our list and the two on our rookie list we are trying to turn into defenders. other than that not sure.

Don't think I've seen Conole's comments on McStay. But I'd be very surprised if we drafted him to become a flanker.

Freeman certainly isn't soft. So I've got not idea where some people got that from.

Don't forget we still have Hayes on the rookie list. So I'm pretty sure we only have two spots to fill up. 1 spot if your already counting on Smith being rookied as most people already are.

It sounds as though we will rookie Archie Smith, who is the ruckman from our academy this year.

I actually think Cutler may play the most games next year out of all the draftees. He looks like he's got an Afl body and fills a need.

Rapt with all the draftees though including big Jono Freeman. Despite some of the steals we got he could end up the best value of all of em.

Agree. His tank needs some work and he needs to fix up a couple of other things which he probably would have been able to do if he wasn't injured this year. Hopefully he has a good pre season.

Don't forget we still have Hayes on the rookie list. So I'm pretty sure we only have two spots to fill up. 1 spot if your already counting on Smith being rookied as most people already are.

Every club has four standard rookie slots and three "developmental" rookie slots. In our case, the latter can be used for zone selections as well as the usual international rookies, etc. At the moment we have Hayes and Banfield in the former and Michael and Bourke as the latter, which leaves us three slots - two normal and one "Qld" rookie slot.

Every club has four standard rookie slots and three "developmental" rookie slots. In our case, the latter can be used for zone selections as well as the usual international rookies, etc. At the moment we have Hayes and Banfield in the former and Michael and Bourke as the latter, which leaves us three slots - two normal and one "Qld" rookie slot.

Love your work mate.

So, for example:
1 x QLD spot : Archie Smith
2 x general rookie spot: Banfield + 1 rookie draft choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Super Seven'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back