The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Have played about 10 games now, and am now finding myself able to win the ball from clearances more easily.

But it's still nowhere near it needs to be.

Am playing 10 min quarters and teams averaging 130 tackles each. What numbers are you getting?

Not sure if increased speed is the answser. At the moment the tackler seems able to lock on to the ball handler anywhere within 3-4 metres all by pressing the tackle button. Consequently burst players from clearances (Judd, Foley, Dangerfield) have little impact in this area.

For those claiming clearances are better, please clarify whether you think its good enough or just not as bad as some of the noobs are claiming.

For future editions, why not require a right stick input aswell as the tackle button. i.e. you have to get the direction of the right stick relatiive from your player to the tacklee perfect otherwise it will be brushed aside.

I can understand the reasoning for it. If it's too easy to clear out then it'll be a basketball game with the ball going from end to end of the ground far too easily. There needs to be some difficulty in getting the ball out to a loose player, that's what makes it rewarding after all. And anyway it's mirroring the actual game with stoppage after stoppage, getting the ball out of a scrum of 20 players is tough.

I can understand the reasoning for it. If it's too easy to clear out then it'll be a basketball game with the ball going from end to end of the ground far too easily. There needs to be some difficulty in getting the ball out to a loose player, that's what makes it rewarding after all. And anyway it's mirroring the actual game with stoppage after stoppage, getting the ball out of a scrum of 20 players is tough.

Nobody is asking for contact free football. But 130 tackles per team per 40 minutes is taking the opposite extreme

Needs to be this way, take it out and the game would just become a race to the ball, first to get it scores pretty much. This way you need far more composure (to hit targets while being tackled) and quick hands, more like the real thing but also less frustrating/easy.

Simple, make it so not every tackle sticks, or at least we get more time to dispose of the ball if we are tackled. It should be that when you're tackled you don't just go straight to ground and the play stops, you should be able to handpass the ball while on the ground (momentarily) or while you're being tackled. This sometimes happens but not enough.

Also, make it so stronger players can lay tackles easier, and quicker players can break them easier.

The greater number of tackles essentially replaces the half-grabs, shepherds, fumbles and so on that occur in a real game but can't really be emulated properly in the videogame. It's one of those barriers to absolute realism that I doubt any AFL game will truly be able to get past, but this is a pretty good attempt. At least this way it's not just clearance, kick to CHF, goal, repeat.

That said, I'd like to see the sprint function have the added function of being a tackle breaker. Let's face it, players that are sprinting are harder to tackle than players that are jogging, especially from behind. Maybe it would be distinct from the ordinary tackle shrug, and apply strongest to people trying to tackle from behind.

Tackling definitely needs more skill involved. It seems as though every player tackles just as well. Perhaps it is easier for the opposition to fend off a bad tackler than a good one but that'd be about it. A cumbersome ruckman should not tackle as well as Sammy Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the end to end achivement. Did that one early on.

Isn't that a chain link one ? ie: still able to pass the ball from team mate to team mate, as long as the opposition doesn't get the ball.

I meant taking the ball from full back or around the defensive 50m as a single sole player (eg: Brian Lake, Matthew Scarlett etc) :D. Would probably be impossible to do due to the AI swarming towards the ball carrier, would still love it if it was possible.

You can still go on a run and score as the goalie in Fifa (even though they've increased the difficulty of attempting it over the last few years).

i ran from the edge of the square with ben johnson to the forward 50 down the wing but missed the goal! but only ever happened once in alot of games so yeah just they need some more speed factor even when sprinting being able to bounce the ball instead of releasing speed because you release speed and they sometimes dont bounce it straight away so get caught very quickly

i ran from the edge of the square with ben johnson to the forward 50 down the wing but missed the goal! but only ever happened once in alot of games so yeah just they need some more speed factor even when sprinting being able to bounce the ball instead of releasing speed because you release speed and they sometimes dont bounce it straight away so get caught very quickly
That's why it requires skill and timing.

I'm getting the feeling that some of you people would rather an unrealistic and easy game by taking out tackles and gifting running bounces etc. :rolleyes:

That's why it requires skill and timing.

I'm getting the feeling that some of you people would rather an unrealistic and easy game by taking out tackles and gifting running bounces etc. :rolleyes:

More unrealistic than evey player being able to sprint at the same pace? I ran down Stephen Hill with Darren Jolly, ffs.

More unrealistic than evey player being able to sprint at the same pace? I ran down Stephen Hill with Darren Jolly, ffs.
The running is somewhat of an issue, yes - that's not what I'm referring to.

This is driving me crazy also.

Tackle shrugs don't work very often and half the time its in the back or too high!

I would love the game to allow you to pick up, use a quick change of direction move to get past your opponent.

Frustrating.

This is driving me crazy also.

Tackle shrugs don't work very often and half the time its in the back or too high!

I would love the game to allow you to pick up, use a quick change of direction move to get past your opponent.

Frustrating.
It does. It's called experience and skill.

Can you give specifics of anything you're doing different from when you first start playing Ant?

Played about 15 games, on the verge of turfing it coz its just ball up after ball up with about 2 'run and carry' moments a game :(

Don't panic and do the quick handball to no one, try chipping the ball to leads (holding LT/L2 and pressing kick button). Draw the player into a tackle then handball over the top to a free player etc. Have gone end to end a few times without the AI touching the ball.

Don't panic and do the quick handball to no one, try chipping the ball to leads (holding LT/L2 and pressing kick button). Draw the player into a tackle then handball over the top to a free player etc. Have gone end to end a few times without the AI touching the ball.
Yep, that's it. After a while, you figure out ways to move the ball freely as Ant has said here.

Remove this Banner Ad

The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back