Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we beat all comers bar Collingwood for goals scored. Without Waite for most of the year. I wish people would stop forgetting that.

And we won one final. The only final we've won in ten years. I haven't forgotten that. Winning a prem without a power forward is very much the exception and not the rule.

We don't need a superstar. We need guys who play the role. Levi can do that, although not consistently.

We'll be over-paying for Cloke and I'm not very comfortable with that.

How do we know we don't need a superstar? I'm not advocating getting Cloke if it stuffs up our SC for years on end but the attitude that you can rest on a particular list or set up bothers me. We just don't know what the opposition will come up with each season.

2 years ago, Hawkins was supposedly a dud. Geelong persevered and now they have a monster forward who ragdolls defenders.

Levi has been in the system for 3 years... with the majority of 2 of those years destroyed by PCL injuries because of his other role as part time ruckman.

Give Levi 1 continuous year in the seniors as a forward and lets see what people are saying about him then.

With Judd, Carrots, Simmo, Scotland all 28 or above, and Rats sacked for MM, it looks like the club wants to strike now for a premiership, and judd's been quoted as saying the players would look at taking a pay cut to get Cloke. Levi may well develop into a power forward, big boy & hard worker, but putting our forward hopes on him for next year is a big ask, and may not pay off. Cloke is proven. The only question i have on Cloke is cost.

How do we know we don't need a superstar? I'm not advocating getting Cloke if it stuffs up our SC for years on end but the attitude that you can rest on a particular list or set up bothers me. We just don't know what the opposition will come up with each season.

And how often does recruiting a superstar win a flag

With Judd, Carrots, Simmo, Scotland all 28 or above, and Rats sacked for MM, it looks like the club wants to strike now for a premiership, and judd's been quoted as saying the players would look at taking a pay cut to get Cloke. Levi may well develop into a power forward, big boy & hard worker, but putting our forward hopes on him for next year is a big ask, and may not pay off. Cloke is proven. The only question i have on Cloke is cost.
Lynch is the answer if cost is the question.

And how often does recruiting a superstar win a flag

Not the point, you have to have your fair share of players that hurt the opposition and across all lines. If both sides coaches and set ups cancel each other out, who wins? For my money, what our forward line lacks is a mobile tall that can create a miss-match, and a fairly good one. Waite is injury prone and ageing.

Hurley - late first round at best and more likely an early second round and upgrades of later picks
Ryder - early second round at best
Heppell - early second round pick and an early third round.
Zaharakis - late first round maybe or an early second round and a later pick as knives

Mate you have got to be kidding! Every single one of those players is worth first round picks!
Hurley is easily worth a top 10 pick, probably top 5...
Heppel won the rising star last year and was a top 10 pick 2 years ago, don't see how his value could be worth a second round pick given that.

Stay off the drugs!

When has Henderson spent a fair bit of time forward?

We moved him back out of necessity due to Jamison's injury, but he showed a fair bit as a forward against Norf and WC this year before moving to the backline again.

If Watson, Jamison, McCarthy, McInnes and Laidler stay healthy or develop, then it's a no brainer to send Henderson forward.

Imagine Henderson on Stratton with Cloke on Schoenmakers

I'm more for building the team from the back forward. Henderson could be an ok forward but is a very good CHB. We get the best out of him in defence plus he is a better defender than any other player on our list bar Jamison. Has the ability to play on all the big forwards in the league as well where as some on the younger ones may not so much at this stage. As a forward he is limited to CHF as he lacks the strenght to play deep and beats his man with his running ability which is very good. I'd be happy to have him play that up the ground CHF role but only if Watson/McCarthy were going really well at CHB. I just recon playing Henderson forward is robbing heaps from peter to pay paul half.

Mate you have got to be kidding! Every single one of those players is worth first round picks!
Hurley is easily worth a top 10 pick, probably top 5...
Heppel won the rising star last year and was a top 10 pick 2 years ago, don't see how his value could be worth a second round pick given that.

Stay off the drugs!
And we get accused of overrating our players by our own supporters.

We get told that where our players were picked is unimportant in regards to how we should value them for trades.

I am just applying the same principle to the scums players... plus they have to be discounted slightly because they need to be de-scummed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2010 he did (as much as it pains me to say). Pretty close last year too...

2011 he had a better year than 2010. He wasn't the one that got his team over the line, every player played their role well. He wouldn't have been a premiership player if it wasn't for the midfielders stepping up, and the backline performing well rebounding.

We lost games this year because we were getting smashed in clearances, even GWS had 1 more clearance than we did. We need an inside mid who is going to go in and win the contested ball, with speed, excellent decision making abilities and excellent foot skills.

That was the most glaring deficiency in our team this year. After that we need a very good small defender because Touhy and Joseph can't cut it. They will not be part of any premiership team. Touhy could make it playing a different role, but not as a small defender imo. Joseph not a chance no matter what role given.

And we won one final. The only final we've won in ten years. I haven't forgotten that. Winning a prem without a power forward is very much the exception and not the rule.

We didnt lose the final due to lacking a power forward. it may have helped but so may have actually having guys like Waite, Gibbs, Kreuzer et al in the side. We lost by 3 points away in perth. Not having davies give away silly frees in the back half or losing Thornton before half time are more valid reasons than no power forward = no finals win arguments.

Re: Ling - he said (paraphrased) "I'm not going to coach Carlton next year"... we know this - that job is reserved for Malthouse.

If you kept watching, and took note of Ling's lie detector test, he got asked whether Carlton has approached him and he said no... he lied. No reason to lie if there was nothing in the rumour...

Funny BT didn't ask him whether he will be at Carlton next year when he had the chance to on the lie detector.

Re: Ling - he said (paraphrased) "I'm not going to coach Carlton next year"... we know this - that job is reserved for Malthouse.

If you kept watching, and took note of Ling's lie detector test, he got asked whether Carlton has approached him and he said no... he lied. No reason to lie if there was nothing in the rumour...

Funny BT didn't ask him whether he will be at Carlton next year when he had the chance to on the lie detector.

Maybe the lie detector interview was done before he was actually approached by us?
either way though I am very keen for Lingy to be an assistant coach, has a good footy brain underneath all those red hair :thumbsu:

I can't believe you blokes are even discussing the dodgy "lie detector". You blokes must have short memories because Malthouse was on that thing 2 weeks ago saying he has no interest in coaching Carlton next year(or a question to that effect), 2 weeks later he is just about announced as the coach, rubbish pre-game entertainment.

our last flag 95 .... G Williams
one before that 87 Sticks, Braddles, Hunter, dora ......

so u could say every time we won a flag over past 4 decades if u keep going back ......
We recruited Williams in 91.

We recruited Sticks, Braddles and the rest at the start of 86.

There are no instances where we went out and recruited a superstar that we actually won the premiership the same season.

Since this is a rumour thread i am going to post something that i heard today. Not saying i believe it but here goes.
Talking to an official from the Bundoora Football club today (Cameron Cloke played with them this year), mentioned that the whole Cloke family are packing up and moving to Perth. Sick of the media and BS over here and leaving.
Again, i am only posting what i heard and not saying there is any truth to it, but it is a rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back