The Toon Army thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle = Richmond..... shambles

We need everyone fit, its that simple. I say put Emre,Owen,Parker,Moore,Dyer,Carr,Taylor,Given and Ramage away for the rest of the season. Field our reserves and juniors for the remainder, have our 1st team train together until the end of the season and start again from next season.

I dont know if Shearer is going to be able to step straight in and take over as manager, maybe a season or 2 under someone might be the way to go. What Brazilian or South American managers are going to be available or possibly available in the near future??? there knack for tactically creative football is 2nd to none so maybe with the talent in our squad we might go well with one of them.

Dont agree with getting Woodgate back, he went to Real with injuries that carried on from his NUFC days and will bring them back here, im rapt wth Luque and his game against Boro and Spurs was a marked improvment than previous outings.

Our midfield when fully fit is a great one, at the moment we are getting beaten at every contest and seem to be playing off opposition midfielders, Faye is the most uninspiring central player i have ever seen play in the EPL, the guy has not a creative bone in his body and his skills with his feet are terrible, he has no idea how dribble or hold the ball........ he can stay in Africa and play with the Lions and Tigers as far as im concerned.

Get rid of Bramble........ i have always given this bloke time but time is over, he had talent/has talent but dead set the guy has nothing in between his ears, a big fat slow dud.

Souness to go................. his style of football is the the worst in the EPL, at least with SBR we looked like we could score at anytime and had a chance in every game, with Souness it looks like he has given up any chance of winning from the outset. We are still conceding goals but our chances of scoring are becoming less, like i said a cunning creative South American manager could do the trick.

cheers

You've got a point there but the thing is Freddy always prefers locals, I guess thats why the names being thrown about are Big Sam, Martin O'Neill and to a lesser extent Keegan.

The way we've played in the last 3 matches though, it really looks like the players have lost confidence in Souness and once that happens it's only a matter of time before he gets the sack.

Btw, the commentators on the radio were brilliant...even though they were openly supporting Mansfield.

"Boom boom boom let me hear you say way-ooh song"
"tight-arse bramble"
"nobby no nuts solano"
"shame on you given"

Newcastle after Nihat ... from BBC Sport. Also Newcastle have been told Allardyce is not available.

Newcastle 'in talks with Nihat'
Newcastle have approached Spanish club Real Sociedad with a view to signing their striker Nihat Kahveci, according to the player's agent.

The Magpies and Russian side Spartak Moscow are said to be interested in the 26-year-old Turkey international.

"We've started talks with Newcastle. They called to ask about Nihat's situation," agent Ahmet Bulut told the Sunday Sun newspaper.

"Spartak want him but between the two clubs, he would choose Newcastle."

Bulut, who was involved in bringing Emre to St James' Park, added: "Newcastle must first find an agreement with Real Sociedad."

Nihat joined Sociedad from Besiktas during the 2001-2002 season.

He has won 22 caps for Turkey and has scored six international goals.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4592438.stm

I don't know about him but on the NUFC boards I visit they are all going crazy over him, so he can't be too bad. Personally though I prefer English players rather than all the foreigners they want to sign so we'll see how he goes if we get him. I agree with Souness, I'm not really sure if we can afford to sign more foreigners who will take a lot of time to settle in and adapt to the game. We need players who can have an instant impact.

I would love to get Big Sam in, if we can't get him another option would be Martin O'Neill who, word has it has had talks with Fat Freddy already. I wouldn't pay much attention to that though, all that might mean is that we'll get him at the end of the season rather than now. Harry Redknapp showed if you have a manager who doesn't want to stay then there's not much they can do about it.

dyertribe said:
:(

If you want us to start playing football again MON would be the worst possible choice.

South American??? whos available coaching wise??

Lachor to Toon? ... from Soccernet

Lachor earns Newcastle trial

Out-of-favour Lens defender Yoann Lachor is expected to join Premiership side Newcastle later this week.

The 29-year-old Frenchman is currently undergoing a trial with the Magpies and should sign a permanent deal once he passes a medical at St James' Park.

Lachor, whose contract with the Ligue 1 outfit ends in June this year, has been with Lens for nine years but has made just three appearances this season.

'In Yoann's interest we will not go against his departure if we find an agreement that suits everyone,' Lens' sporting director Francis Collado told their official website.

'This trial with Newcastle was agreed between all parties, Yoann, the English club, the player's agent, we the managers and (coach) Francis Gillot.

'This is no problem for us if Yoann leaves us rapidly. We are working on a few targets to replace him.'

tige19 said:
South American??? whos available coaching wise??

No idea champ, but with our injury crisis and the way Souness is being treated by the fans, local and national media - who would be stupid enough to take us on?

If we hired Martin O'Neill he'd hand Ameobi the #9, pack the midfield with the likes of Robbie Savage and Neil Lennon and tell us to hoof at every op.

Nothing really happening lately except more injuries and mediocre results under Souness ... so it's business as usual, basically.

I'm looking for a long-sleeved jersey, whats the best and cheapest shop to get one over the internet or otherwise?

CarterS said:
I'm looking for a long-sleeved jersey, whats the best and cheapest shop to get one over the internet or otherwise?

Got a mate in London who has got me a Michael Owen long sleeved Black and whit top, i think it was like $80 australian.

Go into Rebel sport and they have heaps of NUFC tops, none with names on them though, if you want names order of the NUFC website.

Souness will be gone should we lose this week, thats what my mate has told me from England. Apparantley Souness and Owen have been all over the news, with strong links suggesting that Owen will hand in a transfer request at seasons end and Souness to go in the next week or 2. Owen came out the other day and applauded the club and rubbished rumors he was unhappy and said he is looking forward to pulling on the black and white again.

With a fully fit team, our side on paper is as good as any in the Premiership, we just need someone to steer the ship. Imagine what Hiddink could do with our group of players???

tige19 said:
With a fully fit team, our side on paper is as good as any in the Premiership, we just need someone to steer the ship. Imagine what Hiddink could do with our group of players???

No it's not, still weak in defence, and Shearer isn't what he used to be. Not a lot of depth either outside the central midfield position. Better than where you're currently sitting, but your team at best at the moment would only be looking as high as a UEFA Cup place. And the sad fact of life, is that no team goes through a season without significant injuries, I just don't think you have the depth to cover more than 1 or 2 injuries in key positions.

The thing is Bellamy is suspended for the match, how ironic it would be if he scored the winner and Souness got sacked as a result.

I agree with Moomba, our squad is nowhere near as good as the top 2-3, good enough for the Champions League though, thats for sure. I don't think we'd get Hiddink, I think the best we can hope for is Big Sam or O'Neill, both may not be too popular with some but I think they are both good managers who could do a job for us.

If Owen handed in a transfer request then let him go, tbh I couldn't care either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moomba said:
And the sad fact of life, is that no team goes through a season without significant injuries, I just don't think you have the depth to cover more than 1 or 2 injuries in key positions.

Three or four at any one time is harsh but to be expected, but we've had upwards of five to eight our for the entire course of the season which has completely drained our depth.

As of right now we're missing:

Starters

Taylor (dislocated shoulder)
Carr (hernia, thigh)
Emre (hamstring)
Parker (knee)
Owen (metatarsal)
Dyer (hamstring, medication)
Moore (hamstring)

Other first team regulars

Ameobi (hip)
Bramble (thigh)
Faye (ACoN)
Viana (loan)
Milner (loan)
Butt (loan)

Apart from that Shearer (hernia), Luque (hamstring), Solano (thigh), Babayaro (thigh), Bowyer (thigh) and N'Zogbia (broken hand) have all been absent for prolonged periods throughout the season, while Boumsong has been carrying a thigh injury for the past couple of months.

Even Chelsea's depth would be tested with an 'unavailable' list that long.

Journalists and fans alike have been critical of the club for loaning out and selling solid squad players such as the three listed above and Hughes, Ambrose, O'Brien and Jenas - but our wage bill is already huge as it is without trimming the chaff.

This is just one of these fluke seasons where everyone is crocked and we just have to put up with it until it subsides.

I don't doubt injuries have played a part in where you are at the moment, but IMO even with an average run with injuries you don't have the depth to be top 3. Central midfield you almost have an excess, but everywhere else (and your list just shows that) your backups (and starters in some cases) just aren't good enough.

moomba said:
but everywhere else (and your list just shows that) your backups ... just aren't good enough.

I take your point, but isn't that why they're backups?

Having to give a couple of kids or journeymen a job for a couple of months due to an injury to a key man is par for the course, but when your backfour and midfield is filled with them all at once? Of course we're going to be bollocks.

How would City fare with eight first teamers out?

Having 20 top quality players may be feasible for Chelsea, but for us - especially after a £50m spending spree - it just isn't a viable proposition.

dyertribe said:
I take your point, but isn't that why they're backups?

Having to give a couple of kids or journeymen a job for a couple of months due to an injury to a key man is par for the course, but when your backfour and midfield is filled with them all at once? Of course we're going to be bollocks.

How would City fare with eight first teamers out?

Like I said injuries can certainly be used an an excuse for your current position/performances, and theres nothing wrong with that. I just think that to lay claim to being a top 3 side you need better strength in depth than Newcastle (or City) have. FWIW the Newcastle squad IMO is far stronger than the City squad but then again I'm not claiming City is even close to top 3.

moomba said:
Like I said injuries can certainly be used an an excuse for your current position/performances, and theres nothing wrong with that. I just think that to lay claim to being a top 3 side you need better strength in depth than Newcastle (or City) have. FWIW the Newcastle squad IMO is far stronger than the City squad but then again I'm not claiming City is even close to top 3.

I don't think we're top-4 material even with a full compliment either - we need two new fullbacks, a quality centrehalf and compassionate leave for Boumsong.

The bloke has talent, clearly. You don't become a regular in the French national team, cause Henry to be a non-factor in three consecutive duels and wear the captain's armband in Shearer's absence if you're shyte.

But between the injury he's carrying and the illnesses suffered by his wife and son, his confidence, concentration and reputation are shot to pieces.

A quality replacement for Souness (not Bruce, not O'Neill, not McLeish, not Strachan, not Allardyce) is also a must if we are to return the lofty heights that Bobby had us at.

CarterS said:
I think the best we can hope for is Big Sam or O'Neill, both may not be too popular with some but I think they are both good managers who could do a job for us.

"I had a nightmare three years at Leicester really, where I only played something like 10 games,"

"Sometimes you just don't get on with people in football, and, unfortunately, myself and Martin O'Neill - who was manager there at the time - just didn't get on at all.

"It was what you might call a clash of personalities and, really, it cost me all my confidence as a player too, because O'Neill's way was to slaughter people at every opportunity.

"That didn't work for me - though, when you look at what he went on to achieve in the game, it obviously does work for some people."

Very interesting - apart from the eyebrow-raising Souness comparisons.

Any guesses as to who said this?

moomba said:
I just did a quick search over the Carl Cort transfer and came across this.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14905&highlight=cort

Has anything changed since 22 August, 2001?

You can't say the author didn't have a point though.

At the time of that post we'd just drawn with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on the opening day and followed that with being knocked out by Troyes in the Intertoto Cup.

Our next three fixtures would see a draw with the mackems, that 4-3 win over Man U (feat. Keane's handbag swipe at Shearer) and a 4-1 destruction of the smoggies on Riverside.

In 2001/2 we went on to finish fourth and qualified for the Champions League.

We backed up the following season with a third-placed finish, while beating Juventus, Feyenoord, Leverkusen and Dinamo Kyiv in Europe.

From BBC Sports ...

Newcastle are lining up Sven-Goran Eriksson as Graeme Souness' replacement at St James's Park. (Daily Express)

Ford Fairlane said:
From BBC Sports ...

Newcastle are lining up Sven-Goran Eriksson as Graeme Souness' replacement at St James's Park. (Daily Express)

Never gunna happen. The problem the toon r gunna have is that they dont want to pay the 5 million compensation and who in their right mind would come and manage us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back