The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All up, I thought we were lucky to only be 3-1, could have easily been 4-0.

Didn't turn up to play at all, the first 30 minutes had no control and were slow to the ball and that set the tone for us through the game.
The best piece of play we did all game was the set up for our goal in the 62nd minute.

3 losses on the trot with Huddersfield playing (and surely, beating) Derby now we are just adding the pressure back on us when a win tonight would have kept it on Huddersfield.

Still, in Rafa we trust.

Enjoy the holiday - where you off to? Not great timing with footy season about to start!

Back now haha. Went to Vietnam and China and loved it! Shanghai was a highlight. Tried following the Toon overseas but limited internet access made it hard.

Timing was definitely not ideal especially with the Tigs starting off strong! Though we (Toon) started stumbling a bit since I came back so maybe I should have stayed away a bit longer! :D

Hopefully we can jag that second automatic spot. Believe we just need 5 points from our final 3 to make it certain - or if Huddersfield slip up and we win, I think that might do it as well.

Interested to hear from the Toon army re Dwight Gayle as he has obviously fitted in well there. Always was considered our best 'finisher' but with Pulis there early after we went up, we only played one up front with Bolasie and Zaha chipping in. Liked Dwight but couldn't play as lone striker in the EPL for us. Hope he does well in the EPL for you guys no doubt he will score against us (if we stay up, of course).

Think you owe us another 5m GDP as 10GDP has been a steal for you.

He's been a great signing - arguably signing of the season for us though Ritchie and Clark probably would have a say in matters too. IMO, he's the most lethal striker in the league - scores with both feet, head, penalties and free kicks. Also has something like 97 minutes per goal which is quite a ways faster than the other leading strikers in the division. Before his injuries, was leading the goal scoring by quite a way.

Will be interesting to see how he goes if we go up into the PL. Not sure if he can lead the line by himself or if Rafa will want to strengthen our attack. I guess we'll see if and when it happens haha.
All up, I thought we were lucky to only be 3-1, could have easily been 4-0.

Didn't turn up to play at all, the first 30 minutes had no control and were slow to the ball and that set the tone for us through the game.
The best piece of play we did all game was the set up for our goal in the 62nd minute.

3 losses on the trot with Huddersfield playing (and surely, beating) Derby now we are just adding the pressure back on us when a win tonight would have kept it on Huddersfield.

Still, in Rafa we trust.

So so so lucky Derby equalised. Hopefully that loss will slap the players back into action. Just need to dig deep for a few more games and we can hopefully be rid of this league haha.

So so so lucky Derby equalised. Hopefully that loss will slap the players back into action. Just need to dig deep for a few more games and we can hopefully be rid of this league haha.
I watched that game too and Derby were all over them for the first 20 minutes despite the early Huddersfield goal and really just needed some more composure

But yes, the equaliser was celebrated!

Great results for us over the weekend.

Boro and Mackems both lost and look like they both might go down. Might be the only NE side in the top flight next season.

Brighton lost - keeps our super slim title chances alive, though I still think they will go on and claim it.

Reading and Huddersfield both losing - IF we can get a win over Preston at home, we are up!

Preston are 11th. Safe from the drop but can't make the playoff spots. Hopefully they aren't too motivated to spoil the party haha.

rafa-660x330.jpg

It's done lads! Back to the big league!

Great start to the day. Checked the phone at 2-1, then again at 4-1. Got up watched the last 20 then went to the dawn service. Now rafa needs to put together his premier league squad. Is Messi available?

Definitely will need some reinforcing. Wouldn't be surprised to see another cleanout and large overhaul to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't they have waited until we had finished celebrating?

In all seriousness, pretty big for Charnley to be arrested. Hopefully doesn't derail our PL return before it even begins.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...director-lee-charnley-arrested-st-james-park/

Ideal scenario will be for Charnley to be gone and Ashley forced to sell up... can we dream? But overall hopefully nothing impacts us on the pitch (as in docked points etc), because we can't afford to start next season on the back foot like that.

Nice!!! Brighton lost again. 1 point behind with 1 to play. We have barnsley home and they have villa away. 2 teams with not much to play for. Interesting final day

Would be cool to win the league.

Still laughing at the Mackems, hope Moyes stays there forever

Winning the title would be a bonus but the main thing is we got promoted AND the mackems went down haha. Hopefully they'll stay down for a few years. Not sure their current squad had enough to form a promotion pushing team just yet.

Kind of makes the final day more interesting now haha. Steve Bruce (Villa manager) is a Toon born and bred guy so maybe he'll want to help us out? :)

It really showed how lucky we were the majority of the squad stayed together for us and our management didn't blow up after the relegation.

I was confident we would come back up to the Premier League but it seems most clubs don't bounce back so easily.

Still, it'll be a shame we can't beat them in the derby's for a while :D

Who would be our biggest PL rival next season?

It really showed how lucky we were the majority of the squad stayed together for us and our management didn't blow up after the relegation.

I was confident we would come back up to the Premier League but it seems most clubs don't bounce back so easily.

Still, it'll be a shame we can't beat them in the derby's for a while :D

Who would be our biggest PL rival next season?

Definitely the Rafa effect at work! Not only keeping most of our squad (that he wanted) but also helping attract guys like Ritchie and Gayle especially to drop down a division.

Just need Cashley to give Rafa what he wants now - a healthy transfer budget to strengthen the squad.

Good question on who becomes our main rival next season? Given our derby form, this might not be a bad thing!

Definitely the Rafa effect at work! Not only keeping most of our squad (that he wanted) but also helping attract guys like Ritchie and Gayle especially to drop down a division.

Just need Cashley to give Rafa what he wants now - a healthy transfer budget to strengthen the squad.

Good question on who becomes our main rival next season? Given our derby form, this might not be a bad thing!
I think he will.
Cashley will know he's onto something good with the current squad and Rafa and won't want to lose it. And he will also know it will be no good to him and Sports Direct if we come up, do nothing and go back down.

I don't think he will sell the farm for a title but I think we will end up possibly around the middle of the table, just under.
Unfortunately no man's land but if could show promise to attracting players.

Winning the title would be a bonus but the main thing is we got promoted AND the mackems went down haha. Hopefully they'll stay down for a few years. Not sure their current squad had enough to form a promotion pushing team just yet.

Kind of makes the final day more interesting now haha. Steve Bruce (Villa manager) is a Toon born and bred guy so maybe he'll want to help us out? :)
Not sure Bruce cares about helping us out. Who doesn't remember singing " **** off stevey bruce, oh what can it be, to a ............ and a shite football team" the last time we beat sunderland. He complained the bloke in charge played that song on purpose post game. Does he hold a grudge?

Not sure Bruce cares about helping us out. Who doesn't remember singing " **** off stevey bruce, oh what can it be, to a ............ and a shite football team" the last time we beat sunderland. He complained the bloke in charge played that song on purpose post game. Does he hold a grudge?

Who knows? Hopefully he still holds some affection towards the club/his home city. If not, maybe we can bribe him with some meat pies? ;)

I think Brighton will win the league regardless.

I think he will.
Cashley will know he's onto something good with the current squad and Rafa and won't want to lose it. And he will also know it will be no good to him and Sports Direct if we come up, do nothing and go back down.

I don't think he will sell the farm for a title but I think we will end up possibly around the middle of the table, just under.
Unfortunately no man's land but if could show promise to attracting players.

Hopefully Cashley takes note of this...

Rafa on his time at Inter Milan which lasted just six months, leaving in December 2010:

“At Inter it felt like a massive wasted opportunity, which I have pointed out many times.

When I first arrived, I received promises that were not kept.

“I had laid out a path, the moment had come to change out of necessity, the average age of the squad was too high.

“It wasn’t my fault that things ended badly and after all, I contributed to bringing the Italian Super Cup and the Club World Cup into their trophy room.

“We are talking about a big club that will do well in future and I’ll be happy for them, I left many friends there.

“So much time has passed, it seems superfluous now to go over what went wrong but…

“Without spending any money on the transfer market, we won two trophies, so I think that’ll do for anyone.”

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/04/raf...-back-broken-promises-inter-newcastle-united/

P.S Black Saab if you ever want to talk Toon, feel free to pop in here ;)

Hopefully Cashley takes note of this...

Rafa on his time at Inter Milan which lasted just six months, leaving in December 2010:

“At Inter it felt like a massive wasted opportunity, which I have pointed out many times.

When I first arrived, I received promises that were not kept.

“I had laid out a path, the moment had come to change out of necessity, the average age of the squad was too high.

“It wasn’t my fault that things ended badly and after all, I contributed to bringing the Italian Super Cup and the Club World Cup into their trophy room.

“We are talking about a big club that will do well in future and I’ll be happy for them, I left many friends there.

“So much time has passed, it seems superfluous now to go over what went wrong but…

“Without spending any money on the transfer market, we won two trophies, so I think that’ll do for anyone.”

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/04/raf...-back-broken-promises-inter-newcastle-united/

P.S Black Saab if you ever want to talk Toon, feel free to pop in here ;)
Haha fantastic. My in laws are coming out in a couple of weeks to visit. I'm taking my father in law to see the Tiges v Essendon. He now has a Richmond FC beer holder that plays the club song to go with his NUFC stuff. Toon Army!!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back