The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha true that scon - maybe Charnley can be sent off too as I think he's the guy meant to do the business in the boardrooms. I saw Graham Carr has left.

On the signings, we signed these 2 kids for the U23 side. O'Connor (on the left) apparently made 1 appearance for Arsenal in the Champions League and Yarney (on the right) came through the ranks at Everton - 2 pretty good academies for producing talented kids, so hopefully will flourish on Tyneside.

20170607-stefan-oconnor-josef-yarney.jpg

Going to be difficult to stay up this season without heavy investment. What happened to the supposed 100 million pound transfer balance?

Atsu is a gun and I think will adjust fine to the EPL but having a backline of Lascelles and Mbemba just scares the shit out of me, not to mention the completely unproven Yedlin and god knows who at LB (Dummett?)

If the plan is to expect Gayle to carry on with his goalscoring form or for Mitro to break out then that is wishful thinking.

Still there is a month to go until the season starts so hopefully some things happen between now and then.

Going to be difficult to stay up this season without heavy investment. What happened to the supposed 100 million pound transfer balance?

Atsu is a gun and I think will adjust fine to the EPL but having a backline of Lascelles and Mbemba just scares the shit out of me, not to mention the completely unproven Yedlin and god knows who at LB (Dummett?)

If the plan is to expect Gayle to carry on with his goalscoring form or for Mitro to break out then that is wishful thinking.

Still there is a month to go until the season starts so hopefully some things happen between now and then.

Yeah supposedly it's Charnley and the other knuckle heads being too slow and not wanting to increase bids to get deals over the line. Too inflated or something they reckon (going off the papers).

Definitely need a lot of strengthening if we want to stay up.

Reckon we need a CM, ST, winger and probably a full back at the bare minimum. Seems a keeper could be on the cards too.

Better get a wiggle on. One of the reasons we did so well last season is we got business done early so the new signings had time to bed in and gel into the team. Signing last minute is risky.

Agree it's a good design. Shit sponsor though. Anything with the number 88 should really not be considered

I read somewhere that in China, '8' is considered a lucky number so perhaps it will bring us some luck haha.

Would be cool to buy the kit without the sponsor though. Or maybe a Newcastle Brown Ale or Northern Rock logo emblazoned on the front instead.

Seems Rafa is keen on getting Jacob Murphy from Norwich but they are holding out for a big sum. He is an U21 England international so that does inflate his price a bit but he's unproven in the PL. Seems he was a Toon fan growing up too.

Definitely need a winger (or maybe another) as it seems Gouff may be off to Turkey.

Seems Darlow may be sold to Boro - we're trying to get Traore (another winger) from them and maybe Darlow may be part of the deal. I like Darlow but with Woodman coming through, we do have a glut of keepers...

Speaking of keepers, we've been linked with Joe Hart on a loan. He's also being linked to West Ham - and if he goes there, we are then being offered Randolph (Rep. of Ireland keeper) - not sure how I feel about getting someone else's offcuts. Plus Elliot is fighting Randolph for the Ireland gloves so that might not be ideal.

Speaking of keepers, we've been linked with Joe Hart on a loan. He's also being linked to West Ham - and if he goes there, we are then being offered Randolph (Rep. of Ireland keeper) - not sure how I feel about getting someone else's offcuts. Plus Elliot is fighting Randolph for the Ireland gloves so that might not be ideal.
Never rated Hart and even if we did loan him for 12 months his ego is so huge he would demand a move to a 'big club' anyway so it would be stop gap solution. I would rather keep Krul who is as equally egotistical but slightly better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never rated Hart and even if we did loan him for 12 months his ego is so huge he would demand a move to a 'big club' anyway so it would be stop gap solution. I would rather keep Krul who is as equally egotistical but slightly better.

It seems Krul may also be on the for sale list - Rafa loaned him out last season and being linked to lots of keepers this window seems to suggest he wants to bring someone in.

If we sign a keeper, I'd say that all but confirms Krul's eventual departure. I think we should loan Woodman out to a Championship side. Happy with Elliot as a number 2.

That being said, a new keeper probably isn't as much of a priority as other positions in the team!

2-1 win in our first hit out. Gayle with both goals.

A lot of forgotten faces in the team.

Team was:
-------------------Elliot-----------------
Mbemba, Lascelles, Clark, Haidara.
-------------Shelvey--Diame------------
Aarons---------De Jong-----------Atsu
-------------------Gayle-------------------

Apparently Gayle and De Jong had some really good link up play. De Jong's always had the talent but with a body made of glass. Hope he can stay fit. Might be a real asset if he can stay on the park.

27 man squad also flew out to Ireland for a training camp.

Interestingly, no Krul in the squad. Also no Riviere or Lazaar. Armstrong left behind too as was Mbemba (though he had visa issues or some such).

Armstrong probably going to be loaned out again you'd think but the others (bar Mbemba) must be really on the outer to not make the cut.

This window has been right bollocks.. damn frauds Charnley and Ashley are. Huddersfield spent 3x as much as us, so annoying.

2-1 win in our first hit out. Gayle with both goals.

A lot of forgotten faces in the team.

Team was:
-------------------Elliot-----------------
Mbemba, Lascelles, Clark, Haidara.
-------------Shelvey--Diame------------
Aarons---------De Jong-----------Atsu
-------------------Gayle-------------------

Apparently Gayle and De Jong had some really good link up play. De Jong's always had the talent but with a body made of glass. Hope he can stay fit. Might be a real asset if he can stay on the park.

We're going down with that 11 mate

Sounded like Rafa may have had to poke the bear to get something happening.

“When I had the meeting with Mike Ashley I was confident that after that meeting we have the money available and the wages.

“Everything is in place to move forward. Hopefully, Mike can keep his word and we can do what we want to do.”

Not long after that, we had a bid for Murphy accepted by Norwich. Gouff has jetted off to a Turkish side so we do need more wide player depth.

Armstrong off to Bolton on loan until January too. Hope he can have a bit more of an impact than he did at Barnsley (think he only got the 5 or so goals in a season).

It's a sad state of affairs when your 'marquee' player is Christian Atsu, a bloke completely unproven. Not to mention Jonjo Shelvey who is bog average in the EPL. I would be shocked if we don't drop straight back down.

Maybe I'm being too cynical but the last time we came back up we had a gun goal scorer in Carroll who anybody could see was Premier League quality and a quality CM duo of Barton and Nolan. Now we have Shelvey and Diame? De Jong? That's awful and barely Championship quality. Not to mention the completely underwhelming Mitrovic who is either injured or simply taking up space.

It's a sad state of affairs when your 'marquee' player is Christian Atsu, a bloke completely unproven. Not to mention Jonjo Shelvey who is bog average in the EPL. I would be shocked if we don't drop straight back down.

Maybe I'm being too cynical but the last time we came back up we had a gun goal scorer in Carroll who anybody could see was Premier League quality and a quality CM duo of Barton and Nolan. Now we have Shelvey and Diame? De Jong? That's awful and barely Championship quality. Not to mention the completely underwhelming Mitrovic who is either injured or simply taking up space.

Listen theres one positive with our squad and its that they are young, we should see some quality improvement out of Hayden, Lascells, Clark, Aarons, Atsu, Yedlin and even Jonjo and Dwight.

I have been absolutely giving it to them on the official facebook, literally trolling every post, these guys really shit me. Gibbs will go to Brum for 12 mill yet we are happy to spend 12m on Murphy who is completely unproven (albeit talented), it's got me totally fecked.

Fingers crossed we sign someone over the age of 25 and who is proven at the level, our motto of buy young and sell at peak hasn't changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back