The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Listen theres one positive with our squad and its that they are young, we should see some quality improvement out of Hayden, Lascells, Clark, Aarons, Atsu, Yedlin and even Jonjo and Dwight.

I have been absolutely giving it to them on the official facebook, literally trolling every post, these guys really shit me. Gibbs will go to Brum for 12 mill yet we are happy to spend 12m on Murphy who is completely unproven (albeit talented), it's got me totally fecked.

Fingers crossed we sign someone over the age of 25 and who is proven at the level, our motto of buy young and sell at peak hasn't changed.
Our academy is shit too, we have produced Carroll and Steve Harper over the past 20 years and nothing else.

Compare that to a club similar in statue like Everton who have produced; Rooney, Barkley, Dier, Rodwell, Tom Davies and Jeffers (Who looked like he would be a star once upon a time). Not to mention Southampton who are just churning out excellent players on an annual basis.

If we aren't going to invest in quality players, at least build an academy that isn't completely pointless.

Our academy is shit too, we have produced Carroll and Steve Harper over the past 20 years and nothing else.

Compare that to a club similar in statue like Everton who have produced; Rooney, Barkley, Dier, Rodwell, Tom Davies and Jeffers (Who looked like he would be a star once upon a time). Not to mention Southampton who are just churning out excellent players on an annual basis.

If we aren't going to invest in quality players, at least build an academy that isn't completely pointless.

That's one thing Rafa is trying to change, I think it's happening slowly. NE has never been a hotbed for talent, to many Scots and we know how shit they are.

Yeah believe Rafa is overhauling the youth setup thankfully. Even compared to the Mackems and Smoggies, we seem to produce less first team players.

There is a kid in the U16s (Gibson?) who is apparently prodigiously talented but may be about to be poached by Everton. Problem we have is we also need to find a way to introduce and give games to these kids. Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Southampton etc have pathways and so they can attract the best young talent as the kids know if they are good enough, they'll get a chance.

Hopefully we don't drop the ball with Woodman (maybe why we want to clear out the GK department so he can have a realistic chance to become our number 1 keeper?)

Finally looks like we might see some deals done too. Murphy for 12m seems all but done. Lascelles confirmed it in an interview (even if the club hasn't yet).

Also ex Liverpool and Mackem RB Javier Manquillo could be coming in to help give depth at RB. Still only young (23 I think) and linking up with Rafa may help his development. Apparently he's also undergoing a medical.

I do hope we sign 1 or 2 big names though. Having a good squad of solid citizens is all well and good but I think we'll need a couple who can produce some moments of magic and pure quality. I am not sure how many of the current squad will be handle the step up against tougher opponents.

Speaking of big names, apparently Sissoko is looking for a new home in the PL. :$

Think I saw Remy was available. Wouldn't mind him again. He's a grub of a person but does the job on the pitch.

Remy is a grub you're right but man he is clinical and is the exact type we need. Big and strong, lighting quick and bangs them in no dramas. We won't pay his wages, would be good if Chelsea paid half lol, would love him back just got his ability.

I'm annoyed with this athletico kid, he was rubbish at the scum last season and he is right sided which we don't need at all. I swear sometimes I think we want to be a 2nd tier team, desperately need a take over.

Remy is what 31 now? Done nothing but sit on pine for the past 12 months, and as mentioned he is a self obsessed tosser. Would rather back Gayle in to be honest.

Really wish Newcastle would try get involved for Iheanacho who is exactly the kind of striker we need.

Remy is a grub you're right but man he is clinical and is the exact type we need. Big and strong, lighting quick and bangs them in no dramas. We won't pay his wages, would be good if Chelsea paid half lol, would love him back just got his ability.

I'm annoyed with this athletico kid, he was rubbish at the scum last season and he is right sided which we don't need at all. I swear sometimes I think we want to be a 2nd tier team, desperately need a take over.

Yeah not wrong mate, I think we can't really look to far beyond trying to stay up with this squad. Remy may not be the best bloke but with a WC next year, he needs to be playing regularly to be in the frame and he can do the business given the chance. Another loan would be pretty good for everyone - I saw Hart went to West Ham with them paying 50% of his wages, maybe something similar would work for us?).

I was a bit surprised too with Manquillo, a lot of the North East banter pages - the mackems are laughing about the signing given he apparently was third choice for them. 3rd choice RB in a relegated side doesn't inspire much confidence...

Hopefully Rafa knows what he's doing.

Remy is what 31 now? Done nothing but sit on pine for the past 12 months, and as mentioned he is a self obsessed tosser. Would rather back Gayle in to be honest.

Really wish Newcastle would try get involved for Iheanacho who is exactly the kind of striker we need.

Would LOVE Iheanacho - IMO, rate him higher than guys like Rashford and Martial and most other young strikers. We definitely need another striker IMO - especially if we send Murphy off. Think we were linked with that Uruguayan striker Rolan from Bordeaux but thankfully seems like he was off to Fulham.

Hopefully Gayle can prove some people wrong and score a lot of goals. He's a natural finisher which helps. If we could get 12-15 goals from him, wouldn't be a bad return.

Still would love Mitro to 'make it' but needs to work on his finishing. Perez isn't really an out and out striker either so wouldn't expect him to bang in any more than 10.

Would LOVE Iheanacho - IMO, rate him higher than guys like Rashford and Martial and most other young strikers. We definitely need another striker IMO - especially if we send Murphy off. Think we were linked with that Uruguayan striker Rolan from Bordeaux but thankfully seems like he was off to Fulham.

Hopefully Gayle can prove some people wrong and score a lot of goals. He's a natural finisher which helps. If we could get 12-15 goals from him, wouldn't be a bad return.

Still would love Mitro to 'make it' but needs to work on his finishing. Perez isn't really an out and out striker either so wouldn't expect him to bang in any more than 10.
Excuse the intrusion (subscribed to your thread recently, am excited to see Newcastle back in the PL) why is there no confidence in Gayle? He knows the requirements of the PL, scored a bit first time around, is now older and more experienced, and looks like he's come off good year in the a championship?

Newcastle-United-Unveil-New-Signing-Jacob-Murphy.jpg

Murphy done deal. Manquillo probably announced shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion (subscribed to your thread recently, am excited to see Newcastle back in the PL) why is there no confidence in Gayle? He knows the requirements of the PL, scored a bit first time around, is now older and more experienced, and looks like he's come off good year in the a championship?

All good mate, everyone welcome here except for Established1870 (he has a distinctive Mackem smell that isn't pleasant...).

I think we are all hoping Gayle can do the business in the PL for us but the reality is, his best tally for Palace was 7 (though I believe a lot of his appearances were as a sub) so it's a bit of an unknown. We're most likely going to be battling to stay up this season so goals will be very precious. I think Dwight has what it takes - he seems like a real predator around the box and is a great finisher.

Can shoot with both feet, hit free kicks and snagged a few headed goals last season - he would have won the golden boot if not for missing a huge chunk of games. He seems to have a point to prove too. As you say, he's older, has more experience, possibly playing under a better manager and has confidence from a productive season. Benitez also gave him the number 9 shirt which is our iconic/most revered squad number so clearly thinks he has talent to do it justice.

I think the worry is probably that Mitro only scored 9 in the PL last time (4 in the Championship but he didn't get many good runs in the side as Gayle, Perez and Murphy were preferred at times) so if Gayle can't fire, where do the goals come from?

Looks like that young 16 year old prodigy of ours is about to be snapped up by Everton - getting 6m might make it easier to swallow but if he turns into a full England international later on, that will hurt. Need to keep our best kids and promote them into the first team picture if we ever want to have a top tier academy set up...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...wcastle-united-braced-lose-defensive-13357896

Guessing you don't rate him? :p

Still managed 20 or so appearances didn't he? Might come good in a better environment. ;)

That's what Tottenham thought with one Moussa Sissoko.

All good mate, everyone welcome here except for Established1870 (he has a distinctive Mackem smell that isn't pleasant...).

I let you on my thread m8................oh who am I kidding, you're the only one who posts there anyway.

I think we are all hoping Gayle can do the business in the PL for us but the reality is, his best tally for Palace was 7 (though I believe a lot of his appearances were as a sub) so it's a bit of an unknown. We're most likely going to be battling to stay up this season so goals will be very precious. I think Dwight has what it takes - he seems like a real predator around the box and is a great finisher.

Can shoot with both feet, hit free kicks and snagged a few headed goals last season - he would have won the golden boot if not for missing a huge chunk of games. He seems to have a point to prove too. As you say, he's older, has more experience, possibly playing under a better manager and has confidence from a productive season. Benitez also gave him the number 9 shirt which is our iconic/most revered squad number so clearly thinks he has talent to do it justice.

I think the worry is probably that Mitro only scored 9 in the PL last time (4 in the Championship but he didn't get many good runs in the side as Gayle, Perez and Murphy were preferred at times) so if Gayle can't fire, where do the goals come from?
Thanks mate, makes sense. All the best this season, it's great to see both your mob and Rafa back in the PL, hope you stay up :thumbsu:

That's what Tottenham thought with one Moussa Sissoko.

I let you on my thread m8................oh who am I kidding, you're the only one who posts there anyway.

:D - I post in there because I feel like it's community service. Got to give back to the board you know? Maybe merge the SAFC thread with the Boro one? Might spice things up a bit.

They didn't learn their lesson with Bassong...and then tried to shake us down for Toonsend. I say they can suffer in their pantaloons.

Manquillo signed over the weekend.

“More recently I played for Sunderland, but now I’ve got the opportunity to join this club, the biggest club in the North East."

Apparently his appearances were also limited last season as if he played a certain number of games, Sunderland would have been forced to buy him. Probably a bit like the Alvarez situation where they ended up forking 9m for him.

Daryl Murphy has been sold for 2m to Forest. Handy player and did a decent job for us. Helped get us promoted, scored some important goals. Can't really fault him. We definitely need a striker in now though.

Mitro scored in a 1-1 draw with Preston over the weekend.

Seems Krul, Lazaar and Saivet have been told to find new clubs as Rafa wants to cut down the squad - you'd hope he doesn't need to sell in order to spend after he was promised every penny but we're being fairly slow this window which is a worry given the season isn't too far off and we still need quite a few to come in unless we want to battle the drop again.

Really hoping De Jong can stay fit. Read this morning he played more games last season for PSV than he did in his 3 years on Tyneside due to his body finally helping him. Played 26 games, including CL matches, scored 6 goals and earned a recall back into the Dutch national setup so hopefully he can build on that and finally kick his Toon career off in proper.

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mikel Merino could be the next addition - seems he is a highly rated Spain U21 ball playing midfielder.

4-0 win over Bradford too - Murphy grabbing 2, Gayle and Mitro with 1 a piece.

Encouragingly Lejeune, Murphy and Aarons (technically not a new signing but given he's always injured) all impressed.

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mikel Merino could be the next addition - seems he is a highly rated Spain U21 ball playing midfielder.

4-0 win over Bradford too - Murphy grabbing 2, Gayle and Mitro with 1 a piece.

Encouragingly Lejeune, Murphy and Aarons (technically not a new signing but given he's always injured) all impressed.

Read a great SWOT analysis of Merino, has talent but should only play when injuries present themselves but over time should become a top class player. Doesn't really fill the void of the lack of experienced quality in our squad, I have no doubt if Merino was in the squad of a top 14 EPL squad he would likely be going out on loan. I've got faith in Rafa's ability to develop young players though, the guy is a genius, look what happened with Sterling as he was coming through his teens when Rafa was there.

Yeah he seems like a decent young prospect - a few mates told me over the weekend he becomes a beastly CM on FM2017 by like 2020 (not the greatest indicator of potential but still sounds promising). CM is a bit of a worry though. Shelvey is inconsistent, same for Diame. Hayden and Merino both unproven and Colback is a battler at best. More experience and proven class would be great but seems Rafa might not have much cash to play with.

Talk of Haidara leaving on a free with sell on clause too (so no coins there to refill the coffers either).

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back