The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints Premiers 2006

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey yal'l...me and a mate have decided that we want to head to America over Jan and Feb and were wanting any tips

Currently we are heading to both coasts, covering LA, San Fran, Las Vegas, New York and Boston and we are considering heading up to Toronto for the sake of it really

Flights cost 1300 return to LA, 250 from LA to New York to get us from coast to coast leaving me around 5,000 for 4 weeks of play plus anything else i save in the meantime

Will I be fine if i include accomodation, food, beverages, touristy stuff etc etc???

Cheers guys and any tips would be sweet

Peace out

$5000 over 28 days leaves you an average of $178 a day to spend.

Considering that this amount has to cover all general expenses INCLUDING accommodation I dare say it may be a struggle.
You can certainly cover all the necessities on a day to day basis but it may not leave too much to actually "play".
Certainly not too hard and not too often.

Even if we stay in hostel's?

Reading around cost per night of hostel's is around 10 USD'S....roughly leaving 160 for food etc etc

surely that would be enough?

Not in the cities you're going to...10 years ago I was paying $25 usd in NYC, and around $20 usd in most other big cities, eg Chicago and San Francisco...if you're paying less, I would be questioning the areas in which you're staying...seriously

Not in the cities you're going to...10 years ago I was paying $25 usd in NYC, and around $20 usd in most other big cities, eg Chicago and San Francisco...if you're paying less, I would be questioning the areas in which you're staying...seriously

So i had another look on lonely planet and looks like a misread. Cheapest is around 16-20 aud's a night which the places perfectly decent with me

Any hidden tips or places that pleasantly surprise?

New York is a must see. I found it to be a really interesting city. LA on the other hand was a shithole.

If you are going through to Vegas you should try and get across to the Grand Canyon. It is one of those sites that actually is larger than it looks on TV. Breathtaking.

Stop in at Niagra for a day when heading up to Toronto. The falls are also worth seeing. Not much to Toronto though.

Spent 3 months driving around a few years back
Best parts are NY,San Fran,Vegas,New Orleans for citys
I liked New Mexico for food and scenerey,Orlando and LA for theme parks
See the Canyon,Yellowstone, Yosemite,Monument Valley,Try and see some dessert Arizona or Texas.

The food is total crap virtually everywhere except Cajun and Mexican.

Dont bother with Toronto

Spend a few days in Hawaii on the way home.

Good luck on that budget. I doubt you'll find accomodation worth staying in for that price. If you find accom that cheap, it's for a reason.

we aren't looking to stay in hotels, just hostels...a place to dump our bags, a bed a shower and head off

is it really that expensive? lonely planet has places that are for around 20-30 a night as hostels that look fine

Hostels are fantastic. Cheap and ull meet heaps of people.

I did 7 weeks in the USA :D i was lukcy i had family there so i had about 2 weeks where i had accomodation.

But the rest of the time i found i saved a bit. I flew everywhere from the West Coast, through Canada and then the East and down south back to LA.

Cheap flights.

Boston is great, people are nice.

TOronto is nice, but Vancouver and Edmonton (Rockies) are more scenic.

The french part of Canada is great too but i havent been there.

BTW the girsl will love ya there, they love aussie accents.

Way to mislead a bloke. Just becuase you stay in hotels and dine out at restaurants when you travel doesnt mean he is going to do the same. Its pretty obvious he is backpacking.

Your budget is perfectly fine mate. I travelled to Europe on 100AUD a day for four weeks a few years back and had money left over AND, went out every night, didnt skimp and had a wicked time. Hostels wont generally cost you any more than 30USD a night- and they will be decent, friendly, clean places.

$5K, especially with the current exchange rate, is PLENTY.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New York is a must see. I found it to be a really interesting city. LA on the other hand was a shithole.

If you are going through to Vegas you should try and get across to the Grand Canyon. It is one of those sites that actually is larger than it looks on TV. Breathtaking.

Stop in at Niagra for a day when heading up to Toronto. The falls are also worth seeing. Not much to Toronto though.

most of it is, just stay away from downtown and hang near the clean parts of Hollywood.

we aren't looking to stay in hotels, just hostels...a place to dump our bags, a bed a shower and head off

is it really that expensive? lonely planet has places that are for around 20-30 a night as hostels that look fine

i found some decent 2 star hotels for $80.

just do your research and you should find some good cheap places to stay.

That budget is fine for 4 weeks. Your only issue will be time and weather.

I planned a pretty good trip two years, which took 2 months, the breakdown was: Washington DC (3days), Philly (2), Pennsylvania Dutch Country (1), NYC (6), Boston and Cape Cod (4), Montreal (3), Ottawa (2), Toronto (4 with family), Niagara (1), Chicago (5), LA (8 including 3 at Disney, 1 at Universal, 1 at Hollywood, 1 at Santa Monica and Venice, 1 at Malibu, 1 downtown), San Diego (4), Phoenix (2), Grand Canyon (2), Monument Valley (1), Zion and Bryce Canyons (2), Vegas (3), Death Valley (1), Yosemite (1), San Francisco (4), Big Sur and Highway 1 (2) back to LA. I liked every place except Montreal.

If I only had a month I would definitely do Washington, NY (4-5), Boston (3), Niagara (1), Chicago (3-4) on the east. The weather might be ordinary at that time of year, but NFL playoffs will be on as will NHL. Check out stubhub for tix. Washington to Boston is easy on the train and bus, with subways in the cities the best way to get around.

The west is a lot less dense so you need a car to get around properly. Hire is cheap. The weather should be good in SoCal, Nevada and Arizona. From LA, San Diego is about 2hrs away. Vegas and Grand Canyon are all drivable. LA to San Fran is a long trip via the coast. Seattle is close to the Canadian border and is a plane trip. Vancouver will have the Winter Olympics at that time. Vegas and Grand Canyon are must sees.

Never been to the southern states but the weather will be better there too. I am sure Memphis, New Orleans and Florida would be good.

Check out hotwire.com for great acommodation deals (if you have 2 people it is almost as cheap as hostels). I stayed in a 5 star Vegas hotel with a strip view for $108 midweek.

Check out southwest airlines for cheap domestic flights.

Way to mislead a bloke. Just becuase you stay in hotels and dine out at restaurants when you travel doesnt mean he is going to do the same. Its pretty obvious he is backpacking.

Your budget is perfectly fine mate. I travelled to Europe on 100AUD a day for four weeks a few years back and had money left over AND, went out every night, didnt skimp and had a wicked time. Hostels wont generally cost you any more than 30USD a night- and they will be decent, friendly, clean places.

All i want is a half decent bed,a palce to dump my stuff and a shower, nothing more...obviously a hostel...i don't care too much for the fancy hotels as whats the point? i would rather spend my money available enjoying the place...a bed is a bed especially in another country and being early 20's

On a slightly related note - to the people saying that the Grand Canyon is a must, would you recommend doing it as a day trip from Vegas (6 hours bus ride each way I believe?) or is there a town nearby that you could stay overnight?

budget looks fine.

Hope you like it cold cos thats what yer gonna get in NY and Boston. Even LA and San Fran are much nicer in the warmer months.

Having traveled to North America several times, in both winter and summer, without a doubt spring-fall is the time to go. Jan/Feb is a great time for a ski trip. Otherwise look at May-September.

On a slightly related note - to the people saying that the Grand Canyon is a must, would you recommend doing it as a day trip from Vegas (6 hours bus ride each way I believe?) or is there a town nearby that you could stay overnight?

I spent christmas eve in Flagstaff and went to the canyon christmas day. I spent eight months driving around the states so I wasn't in a hurry. Flagstaff was pretty forgetable. Not sure I would want to do a big trip like that and try and squeeze in some sight seeing.

All i want is a half decent bed,a palce to dump my stuff and a shower, nothing more...obviously a hostel...i don't care too much for the fancy hotels as whats the point? i would rather spend my money available enjoying the place...a bed is a bed especially in another country and being early 20's

There was a great YHA hostel in Venice Beach and an equally good one in Harlam. I got an expensive camera nicked in Washington so lock up your valuables.

Western or Eastern Europe. As a generalization on exchange rates, you lived on 42-47 Euro a day, food, accommodation and travel (unless you walked everywhere) and still had heaps to NOT skimp. Without derailing this thread, achievable in Czech Rep maybe, but not in the big cities in Western Europe. I have been travelling Europe continually since 1997 and find that statement a little hard to believe.

HINT: When the Exchange Rate is high, buy Euro and USD, because the dollar will fall again. its all cyclic...

accomodation will be the killer -- but if you're staying in hostels you should be fine

- drinks in NYC can be a bit pricy depending on where you're at

Must go to NYC - and have a bit of time there, there's a lot to see. I recommend going to Vegas over weekend - it's a bit more expensive with accomodation but a LOT more happening

i think your budget will be fine.

A decent hostel in NY is still expensive, I doubt you will get anything for less than $60-$70 a night.

Vegas is where you will be able to live it up accom-wise. As a few others say go mid-week and you will be able to get a great room in a top hotel on the cheap.

http://www.bigapplehostel.com/rates.php

I stayed here in 1998.
Awesome place, in terms of location...
Good rates too...about 45 aud a night. Clean and just off broadway...Back then you couldn't book and had to get there as early as possibler to get a bed, so we caught a night bus down from Toronto, and got there 6am :D

Also here was good in San Fransisco
http://www.sanfranciscohostel.org/index.html

Remove this Banner Ad

The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back