Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

#Performance New
After another disaster of a GF performance a lot of theories have been advanced as to how and why and what should be done next.
I feel we need a thread where those thoughts can be gathered together and hopefully some positive lines developed.
So here it is.

Opinion New
After another disaster of a GF performance a lot of theories have been advanced as to how and why and what should be done next.
I feel we need a thread where those thoughts can be gathered together and hopefully some positive lines developed.
So here it is.

• Move on from Longmire. 5 x Grand Finals with 4 losses and 3 flogging.
  • Parker and Rampe to retire.
  • Not sure if it can happen but trade Papley. Has currency and disappears in Grand Finals and finals in general.
  • Trade Warner or start exploring that with currency and if he wants to head to WA.
  • Amartey is a VFL forward at best. Has been the same since NEAFL and has never shown anything to say different.
  • Explore changes surrounding those making list management decisions. Have a lot to answer for as much as Longmire.

I guess obviously I have some thoughts on the matter:
1) Let Parker and both Warners move on and maximise our draft hand for this year and next year.
2) Forget Stringer but if we can snag a quality KPF or KPD do so, but I believe we will need to go to the draft for these. They are there at around our existing picks.
3) With the top pick (hopefully 3) we get for Warner get his replacement, a powerful mid/forward who will be good enough to play seniors no later than 2026. The powerful part is important.
4) Start giving Sheldrick and Cleary and possibly Roberts games in blocks to bring them on to improve our clearance work. No more Gulden in there.
5) Give Edwards games in blocks to build size into our KPDs. No more Florent or Lloyd in defence.
6) Give Buller games in blocks to see if he can replace Amartey or McLean. Play McDonald closer to goal more often.
7) Manage Grundy. He ran out of gas mid-season.
8) Draft kids with aggression, decent frames and speed. No more twigs, no matter how well they kick. With Parker, Chad and Corey leaving we will have a few draft spots but will need some futures for the good Academy kids coming through.
9) The biggest thing is to genuinely refocus on winning the contest.
My thoughts FWIW.

First and foremost coaching HAS to be looked at. Some coaches get teams to grand finals some coaches win them two different things.

Secondly our lack of a plan B was a massive issue and it was all year the game we were poor in all had the same thing shut the corridor down and we couldn’t move the ball.

Win a grand final until then this shit will be an issue .

even winning big games or other MCG finals won't mean shit until we win the flag . Even if we make it with a different coach, plan and group in 15 years they will still mention our grand final record.

If I knew how to do that I wouldn't be walking in the rain aimlessly on my phone in Melbourne

Looking in from outside:

Firstly, you don't make a lot of and finals without a very good coach. This can get lost when it doesn't result in regular silverware.
The AFL is hard like that, American sports have conference titles (I don't want conferences here) that mean something, Association Football in Europe and South America have meaningful champions league qualifications and cup competitions (other continents have the comps, but not as meaningful to fans or clubs). There is nothing of meaning in the AFL (or NRL for that matter) except one prize. That can lead to harsh judgment on very good coaches.

Second, it is tough to make the right move from here. Changing coaching staff probably only leads to going backwards with the same list. List turnover much beyond natural attrition probably only leads to going backwards with the same coaches.
Do too much and you stop being top-end competitive, but the GF is a trend now. And the last two have been blowouts.
It probably would take an outside consultant to look at it. Its presumably mental, maybe preparation. Is it a few players getting edgy who drop the group or what?
Although it may be set-up. Brisbane did have the disadvantage of playing away the week before, but with that came the advantage of winning on the wider MCG. Did they simply use space Sydney weren't adjusted to closing down, having not played anywhere except the SCG for a month. [MCG familiarity is a real thing, imo]

One thing I would suggest is that across the season PlanB hasn't been the problem. PlanA might have been.
Sydney had poor starts all season, by the standards of a team anywhere near top of the table. That suggests either the rest of the comp runs out of legs at half time (possibly something in that, most teams have to work to stay with Sydney and may tire earlier) or often PlanB works where PlanA fails.
However, on the second point, I'm not even sure what PlanA was for the GF and on that occasion PlanB never eventuated. Whatever the plan was, the players didn't seem to be on the same page - as each other or any plans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Step 1: Sheldrick and Cleary must be introduced as permanent fixtures.

Step 2: time to move on from McLean. Honest toiler but we need more dynamism.

Step 3: Rampe to spend time in the VFL mentoring Snell and Edwards. They’re the future hope of our defence.

Step 4: draft a dynamic small / medium forward. My views on Hamish Davis are well documented. I’m sure there’s others like him.

Step 5: Horse to announce 2025 will be his last. It’s the only way to heal the mental scars.

Step 5 is critical.

History shows belted grand finalists struggle the following season. We’ll be no different. But we need to prepare for 2026.

2015 Freo Eagles 2 best Home and away . Subi a fortress.
2018 eagles home base built with MCG size oval . Optus Stadium built with MCG similar dimensions . Simmo wanted a replica Subi but He did admit the new MCG ovals helped tremendous to playing finals football .

Step 1: Sheldrick and Cleary must be introduced as permanent fixtures.

Step 2: time to move on from McLean. Honest toiler but we need more dynamism.

Step 3: Rampe to spend time in the VFL mentoring Snell and Edwards. They’re the future hope of our defence.

Step 4: draft a dynamic small / medium forward. My views on Hamish Davis are well documented. I’m sure there’s others like him.

Step 5: Horse to announce 2025 will be his last. It’s the only way to heal the mental scars.

Step 5 is critical.

History shows belted grand finalists struggle the following season. We’ll be no different. But we need to prepare for 2026.
Excellent post. Would like to build on this only from a winning a GF perpsective.

We are too nice a club from the board all the way down to the players and that lack of mongrel is what kills us in grand finals. We need a clean out of sorts as this 23 ain’t winning us a flag, ever.

Our lack of inside grunt needs urgent correction. No clearance / no premiership.

1. Time to trade some players.
  • McCartin (panic merchant, too many low percentage plays, won’t win a GF)
  • Amartey and McClean, VFL not AFL level. Stringer would have performed better. Not the nicest guy but has mongrel we need. Not necessarily him but someone who has presence.
2. Heeney injured so should play mainly forward as can’t sustain midfield, better than 3 talls.
3. Logan to be made a defender if we can’t draft one. Not our KPF solution.
4: in addition to Cleary and Gus, Campbell and Fox must start. Who goes out ? Don’t really care, reshuffle if we have to. (Parker, Lloyd, Florent etc)
5. Adams to play or we trade him asap.
6. Ramps / Parks will retire or leave soon so need to plan for that.
7. Warner - hmmm. Would keep as I’m assuming we get the inside grunt to allow him to play outside.
8. If Jmac doesn’t recover from PCL, he plays in the 2nds.

And Horse, time to retire. Same for many of the assistants. He’s been a great coach, but We need someone who is ruthless if we are to win the flag. Playing zone when Lions went uncontested is unforgivable.

Doing the same stuff with the same folk will yield the same outcome.

Pridham should call a club review and maybe it isn't Horse has to go, maybe it's change around him for example.

Stop being such an odd secretive club who talks drivel . Oh we are the biggest club in the land- who gives a ****. So quiet on injuries , closed off training when on the road compared to other clubs. Give the media and fans straight line stuff.

Be open and honest , is working for other clubs, fagan was honest about struggles etc

Sometimes Pridham down in the media are cringe worthy.

Even the handing out shirts to celebrate the minor premiership who gives a **** about that .

Step 1: Move on Longmire or say that 2025 will be his last before we turn over the calendar to 2025
Step 2: Trade Parker for Pick 40 or a F3.
Step 3: Draft a medium tall forward I rate Cooper Hynes Dubai Quacker rates Hamish Davis
Step 4: Draft another KPF to put keep that line flowing as their is too much complacency with McDonald, Amartey and Mclean
Step 5: Introduce speed into the forward line with Cleary/Campbell playing full games as the pressure small forward
Step 6: Its Gus's year. Should be the on baller on the bench in 2025, he has some legs to him and another pre season focussed on his tank and he will be huge.
Step 7: Bring on 2025, yes the Odds are against us but my love for the Swans won't mean i won't support them with everything i got

if Warner plans on leaving trade him now while West Coast will have picks coming out of their rear ends and draft tal after tall after tall.

Back up plan is grovel to our neighbours to get Riccardi who actually knows how to lead up to a kicker .

Pray Sheldrick turns into Patrick Cripps over the off season .

I think as stupid as it sounds Blakey should move forward as the risk vs reward of him being in the back half during big games is costing us big time .

Is it a fair comparison to say Horse is simply a more successful Hinkley? Hinkley’s kryptonite is prelims, Horses is Grannies

Is it a fair comparison to say Horse is simply a more successful Hinkley? Hinkley’s kryptonite is prelims, Horses is Grannies

Not far off it to be honest however only two of the grand finals we were favourites in to be fair

if Warner plans on leaving trade him now while West Coast will have picks coming out of their rear ends and draft tal after tall after tall.

Back up plan is grovel to our neighbours to get Riccardi who actually knows how to lead up to a kicker .

Pray Sheldrick turns into Patrick Cripps over the off season .

I think as stupid as it sounds Blakey should move forward as the risk vs reward of him being in the back half during big games is costing us big time .
So Fox would play the rebounding defender role of Blakey. Blakey, Heeney and Stringer/new recruit as forward line is way better than Joel,Hayden, Logan. At least they can mark a footy.

Logan to replace Tommy Mac. He’s more agile and less panicky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back