Remove this Banner Ad

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its like chalk and cheese.

One gets around like a black arabian stallion. The other has the grace of a double-humped cammel with clown boots.

I suppose its still debateable who will be the best, but I'm so glad I will get to see Wells run around in the North colours for the next ten years.

He is simply a joy to watch.

This comparison will go on until the day these 2 blokes die, but the argument over who was the better get has already been put to bed.

Show me a list of the best 50 players at the moment (compiled by a credible source) that includes Goddard.

Until that day comes, Saint fans can whinge all they want, but let's give this one a rest, eh ?

I admit, im a Goddard basher. But i have been watching him closely over the last couple of weeks and actually think he is very good. He can play midfield, forward or possibly as a KPP, and with his size, can be extremely difficult to match up on in the mid field. I expect big things from Goddard this year, hes certainly got the talent, and is more than capable of being a better player than Wells.

Nightwolf_69 said:
I admit, im a Goddard basher. But i have been watching him closely over the last couple of weeks and actually think he is very good. He can play midfield, forward or possibly as a KPP, and with his size, can be extremely difficult to match up on in the mid field. I expect big things from Goddard this year, hes certainly got the talent, and is more than capable of being a better player than Wells.

I agree, although i'm not a Goddard basher, but just one thing.

Lose that dodgy looking headband. :D

Nightwolf_69 said:

Only because of his size and that he's capable of playing key positions. He might be capable of being a better player, but he's got a lot of improving to do to reach Wells' standard.

Nightwolf_69 said:

:D

Cant even compare the two.

wells is a super talent who will be an all time great for the kangaroos - thankyou bitchmond and thankyou Adelaide. Your contributions will not be forgotten.

Goddard is an average flanker who is slow and immobile. Thankyou St Kilda for your equally important contribution in sending Wells to the roos. much appreciated. :cool:

I wouldn't bag Goddard. But on Wells, last night was the first time I've watched him closely and he is something special. He's one of those players you go to the footy to watch. Even tho the Roos were touching us up, it was exciting to see him take the ball and see what he'd do.

Ford Fairlane said:
I wouldn't bag Goddard. But on Wells, last night was the first time I've watched him closely and he is something special. He's one of those players you go to the footy to watch. Even tho the Roos were touching us up, it was exciting to see him take the ball and see what he'd do.

I agree with you 100% on Wells. I am already on record as saying that he is the Roos best player IMHFA. A fact that some Roo supporters on here challange.

But Goddard is just as special , but in a different way. He could easily prove to be of equal importance to the Saints as Roo and Ball.

Which would not be unexpected ,as after all he was the no.1 draft pick. and clearly the no.1 draft pick at the time. :)

No reason to bag Goddard, the guy can definatly play.
He is a fantastic asset to the St Kilda Football Club, and to compare these 2 players due to drafting is a little silly. I may sound bias but yes, I am very thankful we ended up with Wells, made the entire Carey-saga much more bareable, but I don't underestand why Goddard needs to be bagged? The guy is a sensational talent, is very mobile and capanle of playing in many positions. I would love him at the Kangaroos. (But no, not for Wells).

Also in response to Wells being our best player? I'd say in 6-12 months time he will be. Obviously the media hype and everything will ensure the country thinks otherwise, but Shannon Grant was B.O.G last night, Harvey was B.O.G last week, and yet Wells is being voted by the media with 3 votes. He did play very well in both, and obviously I don't mind this, but I still believe right at this moment, Brent Harvey and Shannon Grant are our most damaging footballers. But Wells is most definatly sprinting up to them and soon will surpass them.

I guess my point is, both clubs be thankful we ended up with sensational talents and Carlton supporters can watch them in dissmay for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

benno87 said:
I guess my point is, both clubs be thankful we ended up with sensational talents and Carlton supporters can watch them in dissmay for the next decade.

I was wondering when someone would bring up Carlton.. :rolleyes:

Funkalicous said:
I was wondering when someone would bring up Carlton.. :rolleyes:
I'm still sour about Pagan.

No in all seriousness I was simply trying to stop the comparison ever being done again. There is no need to compare the two players as both clubs were lucky to have them, now they are arguing which would be the better pick. Sorry to use an example of your club, but you have to admit, it was a pretty big ******** up in hindsight.

benno87 said:
No in all seriousness I was simply trying to stop the comparison ever being done again.

I wouldn't mind these comparisons being ended either. If they weren't in the same draft, nobody would care. As it is, Wells vs Goddard is getting as tedious as the Hodge vs Ball vs Judd debates.

In regards to garth p's comment about Goddard being the clear #1 selection that year, I have no doubt that if we had the #1 pick that year, we would have selected Goddard too.

Rod Stroker said:
Only in the eyes of a couple of people in high places at the Saints.

Hey tosser with a nick name that is obviously well deserved as it appears to be your favorite pastime and a phrase that shows your mind has never left the gutter that you inhabit (the reference to kelly stevens), you don't expect me to take your opinions seriously, do you? :rolleyes:

Shinboners said:
I wouldn't mind these comparisons being ended either. If they weren't in the same draft, nobody would care. As it is, Wells vs Goddard is getting as tedious as the Hodge vs Ball vs Judd debates.

In regards to garth p's comment about Goddard being the clear #1 selection that year, I have no doubt that if we had the #1 pick that year, we would have selected Goddard too.

But for a lousy point kicked by Daniel Wulf to draw the game against the swans, we would have had wells as well. now wouldn't that be a scary proposition to you guys. :(

By the way, I love watching both of them play at the moment. Couple of class acts. :)

Wells is definately a special talent. Has shown more than Goddard so far, but both are still only 20 so give Goddard a chance.

Goddard is playing very good hard in close football this year and has spent a lot of time in the midfield. I have been very impressed with his play, and I still wont pass comment on how good he will be for a few seasons yet.

Its a bit like Ball abd Judd. two different types of players. While Judd is an outstanding young player, is an outside player and can be shut down when his midfield is getting beaten and isn't feeding him. Dont get me wrong, this is not a critisism of Judd or his courage or anything, but his style of play is so different to Ball it is very hard to compare the two.

Same with Wells and Goddard, but Wells has certainly made more of an impact so far.

Now what was the beter draft Travis Johnstone or Brad Ottens? :D

Isn't it funny how Judd and Wells are rated above Ball and Goddard respectively... but most saints fans would still take the later two

Skeptic said:
Isn't it funny how Judd and Wells are rated above Ball and Goddard respectively... but most saints fans would still take the later two
I'd take any two from the above lot. All equally valuable in their own right.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wells v Goddard comparison...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back