Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong mate, for the Greater Giants the actions of one Giant fan does characterise their whole supporter base.

But let's stay on track...
View attachment 344197

That is a good point you make. I couldn't agree more with this.

Such #brave supporters, truly inspiring.

Until you've lived through years such as the Drum years at Freo (13 wins in 53 games), you might not be an expert.

Meh

We won 17 in 66 between 2002-04

#closeenough

8 in 44 sounds better though from 03-04

* Insert 4 Yorkshiremen voice exclaiming "luxury, sheer luxury"

^ What go you pups said.

Until you're excited by the performance of someone like an Adam Morgan who "provided a target but didn't touch the ball in the best zero possession game I've seen" then get excited because players like Michael Gardiner and Daniel Bandy head east, I don't think you've truly suffered as a fan.

Thats cute

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Bitchnez, ploise. You don't know from suffering.

If the speed limit is 60 and i drive 59, i'm not exploiting the the rules, i'm following the rules. we don't need to bring it down to 58 to stop people from exploiting it.

If the bulldogs can capitalize on it then anyone else can too, and if they thought of it before everyone else did then they deserve whatever they won out of it.

Just be sure you do not do an Essendon and confuse 159 with 59.

If you were a GWS or Sydney fan watching the finals against the Bulldogs, you would probably have been tearing your hair out seeing the players in red white and blue be brought down, only to slap it out or deftly drop it to a running teammate. It reminds me of Kevin Bartlett's running bounces when he knew he was about to be tackled. I'm not doubting the talent on the Bulldog's team, and the rebuild under Beveridge has been incredible. But I can't help but think their success last year was built on exploiting the grey areas of disposals by hand. Ironically Hawthorn cops a lot of bashing for having a good go from the umpires, but their premierships were built on precision passing with elite foot skills. I won't deny that at times a few of their disposals by hand have been dubious, but that goes for every team. The Bulldogs are simply capitalising on this, and you can't deny it when you go back and watch their games last season.

So what is to be done? Well we need to more broadly define what an illegal disposal actually is, because let's face it, this is currently the only sport where commentators will say 'WOW what a great fumble!' Here are my suggestions...

- Knocking the ball with an open palm is always illegal, if not in a ruck contest OR if the ball cannot be marked. If a player is uncontested and slaps the ball instead of marking it, play on. The only exception is if you manage to recover the ball yourself. A player is a allowed to slap the ball to get it to sit up better for him, but if a teammate recovers it first then a free kick is awarded to the opposition.

- Placing the ball on the ground and leaving it there, even when not being tackled is dropping the ball.

- If a player has possession for at least ONE second and loses the ball in a tackle it is considered dropped, regardless whether the defending player slapped it out of him or not. If the ball didn't come out straight away in the tackle and the player is immobile the umpire goes red hot on a ball up.

I know any mention of rule changes is going to be open with heavy resistance and criticism, and I'm open to the fact that these changes might make the game worse instead of better. I'm just of the opinion that the grey is overshadowing the black and white of this particular rule, and I won't be surprised if the Bulldogs once again exploit this to meme themselves into another premiership.

#WhateverItTakes

this sort of lie.........................

C7BVIpsVsAAOzpT.jpg

All garbage aside people are forgetting the Doggies won it from 7th back, this is a phenomenal feat and should be lauded for what it was...one of the best feel good stories in sport and a massive effort with their Captain sitting out the season.

All garbage aside people are forgetting the Doggies won it from 7th back, this is a phenomenal feat and should be lauded for what it was...one of the best feel good stories in sport and a massive effort with their Captain sitting out the season.
I agree.
It was truly wonderful that the AFL manufactured this 'phenomenal' rags to riches story for us.
Coincidentally just on the eve of the domination of the northern franchises :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.
It was truly wonderful that the AFL manufactured this 'phenomenal' rags to riches story for us.
Coincidentally just on the eve of the domination of the northern franchises :thumbsu:
Its slightly tainted yes, the VFL clubs are still being given this free ride when it comes to the fixture and Richmond gets this free ride and can't seem to use the advantage to go anywhere. I swear if West Coast were given this advantage we would have 6-8 flags by now, no 300 game players after 30 years and a lot of good players finish before they're 30 due to the travel requirements. Wildcats seem to have no problems due to the fairness of the draw in the NBL so I can't see why the AFL doesn't even it up to make it fair. The AFL will always be an amateur code until the GF is played at the highest placed teams home venue and the draw is not a fixture biased toward Victorian teams, no other professional sport in the world does this.

Its slightly tainted yes, the VFL clubs are still being given this free ride when it comes to the fixture and Richmond gets this free ride and can't seem to use the advantage to go anywhere. I swear if West Coast were given this advantage we would have 6-8 flags by now, no 300 game players after 30 years and a lot of good players finish before they're 30 due to the travel requirements. Wildcats seem to have no problems due to the fairness of the draw in the NBL so I can't see why the AFL doesn't even it up to make it fair. The AFL will always be an amateur code until the GF is played at the highest placed teams home venue and the draw is not a fixture biased toward Victorian teams, no other professional sport in the world does this.

Flags are tough to win.

Well unless you are an interstate club with generous start up,Academy and COLA concessions. In which case, well you'd have to be Freo to not win at least one flag.

The AFL has not been an even comp since it started with interstate club start up, COLA and Academy concessions virtually destroying any semblance of a level playing field.

In that environment, it was an unplanned for fluke that the Bulldogs won.

Suck it up princess.

Flags are tough to win.

Well unless you are an interstate club with generous start up,Academy and COLA concessions. In which case, well you'd have to be Freo to not win at least one flag.

The AFL has not been an even comp since it started with interstate club start up, COLA and Academy concessions virtually destroying any semblance of a level playing field.

In that environment, it was an unplanned for fluke that the Bulldogs won.

Suck it up princess.
Don't get me wrong I was barracking for the Doggies after they taught us a football lesson, my gripe though is valid, no team to have won a flag east of Melbourne in 10 years. Statistics don't lie and when teams get jack of being shafted a new "Super League" type arrangement always follows.

Don't get me wrong I was barracking for the Doggies after they taught us a football lesson, my gripe though is valid, no team to have won a flag east of Melbourne in 10 years. Statistics don't lie and when teams get jack of being shafted a new "Super League" type arrangement always follows.

Interestingly, WC are the non Victorian club not in its 10 years start up concession window or in receipt of additional concessions to win a flag since the AFL commenced.

So perhaps, non Victorian clubs do need concessions to win?

What do you propose? COLA? Loads of priority draft picks?

We know COLA works, perhaps COLA for all the non Vic clubs?

That sounds fair...

Interestingly, WC are the non Victorian club not in its 10 years start up concession window or in receipt of additional concessions to win a flag since the AFL commenced.

So perhaps, non Victorian clubs do need concessions to win?

What do you propose? COLA? Loads of priority draft picks?

We know COLA works, perhaps COLA for all the non Vic clubs?

That sounds fair...
Money isn't the issue for us, we have had pretty decent sides over the 30 + years in the competition the issue is travel. We have currently a pretty decent side but it gets a big downgrade when it actually comes to winning the Flag due to the enormity of the feat. Its hard to win it inside Victoria when you look at how long its been in between drinks for the doggies until last year and St Kilda. I seriously suggest something around the lines of only playing 17 home and away games with final series played in favour of the higher placing side, this would give at least us a better chance of winning it. As it stands we have to have an unbelievable run of form to the finals, no injuries and home games to even get a glimmer of hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back