Status
Not open for further replies.

TASSIE SAINT

Rookie
Aug 16, 2006
in a house
AFL Club
St Kilda
Noticed that after Adcock kicked the goal that put the lions infront his score jumped from 54 to 94.

Do u think the winning goal is really worth 40 points? is it anymore important then any of the other goals that count for 6 points on the scoreboard?

FYI

champion data have other stats they use as well!

these stats are not published and consist of a secret formular that rewards players that have an impact on a game..

eg.. kicking the winning goal with seconds to go is likely to score your
player around 40 to 50 points

It wouldnt surprise me!
Handy too cos ive got Adcock Heheh :D

Yep, twas great last week, when my captain Brad Johnson won the game off his boot, about ten minutes earlier I wasn't very happy with his score.

So if Johnno brown had of kicked that goal to put the lions in front fair late in the game it would have increased his score a decent amount? What a spew

its definetly worth the extra points

pressure time = big points....

it rewards the players who step up...the matchwinners...it also adds a certain element of mystery to the scoring system which is reflective of the game itself...football is not clear cut there are many variables hence the scoring system has many variables...in my opinion its great

dream team points are disgraceful way of tracking trying to rank a player...

p.s last year i remember late 1 sunday arvo tracking a tight west coast game watching embley closely as i needed him to deliver to win my league match...he was on 60-70points at 3/4 time. had an ok last quarter, kicked last 2 goals etc etc.... finished on 172...

You've got to understand that unlike DreamTeam, Supercoach scoring aims to reward the players that are the most "influential" in the game.
For this reason, there is a degree of scaling that happens each game, as the scorers adjust individual players' scorers to reflect how important that player was in the context of the match. (in their opinion, of course)
As you can see, there is definitely a degree of subjectivity. Players who kick the winning goal, take the saving mark, make a spoil/smother in the dying seconds will be rewarded with "bonus" points.
And there is no formula for this. Which is why some people prefer dreamteam.

Noticed that after Adcock kicked the goal that put the lions infront his score jumped from 54 to 94.

Do u think the winning goal is really worth 40 points? is it anymore important then any of the other goals that count for 6 points on the scoreboard?
Don't pay attention to the rest of the dribble posted here. You just saw the score update for the quarter - they are not hapening live. There are no bonuses for any different goals or special acts just a simple scoring system as per below.

Effective kick 4Points
Ineffective kick 0Points
Clanger kick -8 Points
Handball effective 2 Points
Ineffective handball 0 Points
Handball clanger -6 Points
Handball receive 1 Point
Hardball get 4 Points
Loose-ball get 4 Points
Goal 8 Points
Behind 1 Point
Mark uncontested (maintaining possession) 1 Point
Mark contested (maintaining possession) 6 Points
Mark uncontested (from opposition) 4 Points
Mark contested (from opposition) 8 Points
Tackles 4 Points
Free kick for 4 Points
Free kick against -6 Points
Hitout to Advantage 3 Points

Don't pay attention to the rest of the dribble posted here. You just saw the score update for the quarter - they are not hapening live. There are no bonuses for any different goals or special acts just a simple scoring system as per below.

Effective kick 4Points
Ineffective kick 0Points
Clanger kick -8 Points
Handball receive 1 Point
Hardball get 4 Points
Loose-ball get 4 Points
Goal 8 Points
Behind 1 Point
Tackles 4 Points
Free kick for 4 Points

Actually mate if u follow game day live it does happen Live and refreshes constantly ur the 1 with ur facts wrong

You've got to understand that unlike DreamTeam, Supercoach scoring aims to reward the players that are the most "influential" in the game.
For this reason, there is a degree of scaling that happens each game, as the scorers adjust individual players' scorers to reflect how important that player was in the context of the match. (in their opinion, of course)
As you can see, there is definitely a degree of subjectivity. Players who kick the winning goal, take the saving mark, make a spoil/smother in the dying seconds will be rewarded with "bonus" points.
And there is no formula for this. Which is why some people prefer dreamteam.

This is absolute rubbish , no such adjustments occur at all. Where did you hear this garbage???

This is absolute rubbish , no such adjustments occur at all. Where did you hear this garbage???

Can u please tell me then how nathan brown got 50 points for 2 posesions and in the last minutes went from 30 to 50 with a great spoil and tackle there is special rewards u have no idea matey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effective kick 4Points
Ineffective kick 0Points
Clanger kick -8 Points
Handball receive 1 Point
Hardball get 4 Points
Loose-ball get 4 Points
Goal 8 Points
Behind 1 Point
Tackles 4 Points
Free kick for 4 Points

This is from the point scoring system in the rules on Supercoach:

"By using more than 50 different stats, Champion Data's final player rankings are the most accurate way to determine how effective a player has been. For example, while other games will award points for a kick no matter how far it goes or where it's directed, Champion Data will award zero points for a kick that travels less than 40 meters to a contest."

So the ones you posted above are a guide, not the sole points system used..

I hope people appreciate this :D:cool:

AFL Prospectus 2008 said:
A good example of how the rankings are applied comes in the case of Lance Franklin's 2007 elimination final against Adelaide. Finishing the match with seven goals, including the match winner with less than 10 seconds remaining, Franklin was only the eighth most influential player of the match according to the rankings - here's why.

In the opening quarter Franklin had three disposals - including one clanger kick - , three uncontested marks, kicked one goal and gave away two free kicks finishing the quarter with just 5 ranking points.

In the second quarter Franklin racked up four disposals (all effective), grabbed one uncontested mark , three contested possessions laid one tackle and kicked 3 goals to finish the quarter with 44 ranking points, the best of anyone in the quarter.

His third quarter was where he lost his ground though, as he finished with two disposals (both effective), one hard-ball get and one free kick for but conceded three frees against, two 50 meter penalties against and was kept to 0 goals finishing with a value of -22 for the quarter.

He turned it around in the last quarter however, as he picked up 3 disposals (all effective long kicks), grabbed three uncontested marks, laid one tackle and booted three goals. it was his last goal however with just seconds left in the match that proved to be the most significant disposal of the game and was valued accordingly. Franklin took an uncontested mark from a teammate then executed a long kick which was a goal. This would be worth 13 points normally, but after weighting it in accordance to the state of play the value tripled and he was given 39 points for that bit of play taking his core for the quarter to a whopping 82 points - the best individual quarter of the match.

It does happen, as others have mentioned here.

The first time I noticed it happen was two years ago when Andrew Embley kicked very later winners in a couple of games, sending his score through the roof. (That's also why I feel he might find seasons like that difficult to replicate).

Last year I didn't follow the games as closely but I've seen it happen twice so far this season:

In round 1 Brad Johnson went from ~73 with 5 minutes left to a final score of 182 after kicking 3 late goals. I was watching it specifically. Because he kicked them so quickly, the score went up the whole way in 1 go I believe.

Spot on re Adcock, Tassie Saint. His score did jump by around 40 for his winning goal. I was also spewing re Brown missing what would have been the winner not long before, as he would have pocketed the points.

I'm not sure it has to be the 'winner', but certainly late goals in close games, especially ones which put your team in front, get big points.

its true late goals are worth more than stated in the guide. The 50 odd ways of scoring include spoils, bounces, smothers and assists etc.

I dont know what to believe. I didnt realise when picking my team that you get extra points for kicking a goal late in the game... i dont think that it should happen..
A player might have a shocker of a game and kick the last goal of the game and his points go up massively, thats not right, just because a player kicks a goal late in the game doesnt make him an effective player on the ground for the game. He wouldnt be on the best players sheet. What you do throughout the game matters, not what happens in the last 5 minutes!

I actually wonder whether stats are all increased in "red time" or something like that. Could it be double points for every stat picked up in time on?

I dont know what to believe. I didnt realise when picking my team that you get extra points for kicking a goal late in the game... i dont think that it should happen..
A player might have a shocker of a game and kick the last goal of the game and his points go up massively, thats not right, just because a player kicks a goal late in the game doesnt make him an effective player on the ground for the game. He wouldnt be on the best players sheet. What you do throughout the game matters, not what happens in the last 5 minutes!

I agree with your point in a way that the player who kicks the match winning goal scores more than the guy who kicks the first goal. E.G. The match winner is kicked off the ground 5 metres out is ranked more important than say the first which was from the boundary over his head. Clearly the first goal was harder to execute and thus more important. However there is an arguement that pressure goals are more important e.g Thomas & J Brown had a lot of pressure on their set shots and would have sealed the game - they may have kicked these if it were the first quarter or a big difference on the scoreboard.

Maybe they have just over weighted the importance of match winning goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back