FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

was re watching the wire season 3 tonight and i just noticed that bill rawls is gay....was in the gay bar when lamar (associate of brother mouzone) went into the gay bars asking for omar.......totally missed that when i watched it 1st time around

I read an interview with David Simon where he talked about this and apparentley there's a scene, he wouldn't say which, where one of the cops, Bunk or McNulty, has a piss at the jack shop and if you look closely on the wall there's a bit of graffiti that reads: "Rawls sucks ****" or words to those effect.

Never saw it myself.

Just finished season 5 (I waited until it was on sale, because I am a cheap bastard).

Suffered a bit from being a 10-show season, but still pretty solid. Lacked the nuance and depth of the previous seasons, and shit seemed to happen too quickly. Also, the newspaper plotline is pretty much as bad as people say it is - David Simon sure can hold a grudge. Still, the worst Wire season is about 20 times better than the best season of a normal television show.

What a series.

Don't get the 2nd season hate that seems to be around. I loved it. I'd go 4,2,1,3...5.

That's the order i'd put them in as well.

I had NO IDEA Rawls was gay, that is just incredible. Will definitely have to watch again.

I remember loling at both those things when I first watched the show.

If I remember correctly Landsman actually looks at the writing on the wall and has a laugh. It's in the scene when Bubbles vomits on him and he's in the bathroom wiping it off.

how good is the scene with rawls in season 2, when him all the other heads of departments are sitting down discussing who should take the 13 murders.. rawls thinks he has got homicide off the hook and leaves the meeting to get a coffee.. bunk, landsman and freamon are all eagerly awaiting the outcome from the meeting and Rawls strolls past and ignores them, but just before going back into the meeting, stops at the door and raises his fist in victory. absolute gold.

People always say,

'Why can't we Brits/Aussies/Europeans do TV as good as the Wire?'

But the Americans haven't done TV as good as the Wire either.

Because nothing has ever been as good as the Wire.

Maybe I should watch Mad Men, cause that seems to be the closest.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet i just bought the complete box set after i ordered it 3 weeks ago!

i recently finished the Sopranos, which was a damn near classic, and many people say the Wire is best show of all time even better than shows such as The Sopranos, so im expecting something never seen in this world before:D

anyways, ive never seen an episode which is good (cause i watched later episodes of Sopranos before i watched the beginning:rolleyes:).. all i know is the demise of Omar (thanks to an eminem lyric:rolleyes:)

anyways boys time to start watching and probably for most of the weekend:thumbsu:

Just finished season 5 (I waited until it was on sale, because I am a cheap bastard).

Suffered a bit from being a 10-show season, but still pretty solid. Lacked the nuance and depth of the previous seasons, and shit seemed to happen too quickly. Also, the newspaper plotline is pretty much as bad as people say it is - David Simon sure can hold a grudge. Still, the worst Wire season is about 20 times better than the best season of a normal television show.

What a series.

Don't get the 2nd season hate that seems to be around. I loved it. I'd go 4,2,1,3...5.

Haven't got to series 5 yet, but would rate the others in exactly the same order. Series 4 was just about as good as tv can get.

After reading some fo the posts I am a bit ambivalent about series 5. I am desperate to see how everything plays out, but wary of the relatively poor reviews.

Just finished season 5. What a tv show. Probably the best written and most consistently well acted series ive watched. Ive always had Sopranos as the best series, but The Wire would be just better. Now to watch them all again! fwiw, I picked up on Rawls in the gay bar. Had a good chuckle at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished season 5. What a tv show. Probably the best written and most consistently well acted series ive watched. Ive always had Sopranos as the best series, but The Wire would be just better. Now to watch them all again! fwiw, I picked up on Rawls in the gay bar. Had a good chuckle at that.

Good pick up :thumbsu: I didn't realise until someone mentioned it in this thread.

Just finished the 5th season as well. Definitely the best tv drama I've ever seen. Can't believe I didn't watch it sooner, but it was nice being able to watch the whole show through from start to finish.

I find myself using a lot of wire words and phrases in general life. "sheeeiit" "much obliged" and "you earnt that buck life a mother****er" among the regulars.

Favourite scene in the whole show was in season 3 when Brother Mouzone and Omar have their standoff in the alley.

Most heartbreaking for me was Wallace's death in season 1. That and the subsequent "where's Wallace" scene with D'angelo were what completely hooked me on the show - if there was any doubt beforehand.

Don't get the McNulty hate around here. I think he's a great character - every bit as much of an addict as bubbs, self-righteous, self-destructive, not as smart as he thinks he is but affable and funny and a good police (I will never add on the words 'officer' 'man' or 'woman' again). Maybe a bit of a cliche, but it's accurate and reflective and I think the character is developed beyond the cliche. Plus, the scene where he can't help himself from having sex with the two eastern european prostitutes when undercover is one of the most hilarious scenes in the entire show. And when he molests the mannequin in front of his ex-wife while she's in a meeting comes to mind as well.

Just finished the 5th season as well. Definitely the best tv drama I've ever seen. Can't believe I didn't watch it sooner, but it was nice being able to watch the whole show through from start to finish.

I find myself using a lot of wire words and phrases in general life. "sheeeiit" "much obliged" and "you earnt that buck life a mother****er" among the regulars.

Favourite scene in the whole show was in season 3 when Brother Mouzone and Omar have their standoff in the alley.

Most heartbreaking for me was Wallace's death in season 1. That and the subsequent "where's Wallace" scene with D'angelo were what completely hooked me on the show - if there was any doubt beforehand.

Don't get the McNulty hate around here. I think he's a great character - every bit as much of an addict as bubbs, self-righteous, self-destructive, not as smart as he thinks he is but affable and funny and a good police (I will never add on the words 'officer' 'man' or 'woman' again). Maybe a bit of a cliche, but it's accurate and reflective and I think the character is developed beyond the cliche. Plus, the scene where he can't help himself from having sex with the two eastern european prostitutes when undercover is one of the most hilarious scenes in the entire show. And when he molests the mannequin in front of his ex-wife while she's in a meeting comes to mind as well.

The wife and I are hooked and have started talking Wire speak - my favourites are "true that" and "indeed" (paying homage to Omar there). We were planning a trip to the US - supposed to be going to New York, LA etc, but now all we want to do is head to B-more. Might see if a couple of corner boys will let us do a re-up.

has anyone watched or interested in watching "Treme" its another show from David Simon who co wrote the wire.it looks alot different to the wire but it also looks like it has a lot of drama much like the wire. just seeing if anyone has watched it yet.

Yeah I have seen it, there is a thread on this board somewhere. I didn't think it was as good (how could it be?) but still pretty decent. It has The Bunk and Lester in major roles as well as Steve Zahn and John Goodman. It also has fantastic music.

About to start Season 4, really glad I made the effort and got into it.
I'm not a big fan of Cop shows as they are generally shit, but The Wire is excellent at building a continous story and overlapping characters, plotlines etc across episodes and seasons. Cases rarely end up resulting in all the bad guys going to jail - there is injustices, shoddy policework and collateral damage just like in real life.

Unfortunately the street speak in the show will mean it will never reach the general public, but it is definitely in the Top 5 classiest TV series I have ever watched. Thank God for HBO etc making shows like this. I can't watch FTA TV anymore with the absolute quality that the American pay tv stations churn out in comparison to CSI's and all that rubbish.

Anyway, Im off to sink some brews by the train line and get totalled. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back