FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

best bloody show ever. was so sad when it ended. is there another show worth watching after watching the wire? jeez i think it will be hard for me to find another show as good as the wire

for those that have seen the whole series here is an awesome article with the shows creator, David Simon, about all the different storylines and unanswered questions left in the show. recommend you read it LINK

best bloody show ever. was so sad when it ended. is there another show worth watching after watching the wire? jeez i think it will be hard for me to find another show as good as the wire

for those that have seen the whole series here is an awesome article with the shows creator, David Simon, about all the different storylines and unanswered questions left in the show. recommend you read it LINK

Seen The Shield? IMO better but only just started watching the wire 7 episodes in.I like but not as much as The Shield. It may grow on me but my mind is pretty set.

Streaming Site
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/The_Wire.html

Cheers for that. (highlight to reveal) I like that the "real-life" Omar survived a similar jump off a building as Omar the character did in the show.

Seen The Shield? IMO better but only just started watching the wire 7 episodes in.I like but not as much as The Shield. It may grow on me but my mind is pretty set.

Streaming Site
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/The_Wire.html

yep, its pretty good but got nothing on the wire :)

7 eps in. hmm by then i woulda thought you would be well and truly hooked. could understand if it was 3 or 4 eps in because it does kinda start slowish while it introduces all the characters and the back story to all the plot lines but yeah. stick with it! :)

can understand though, that the wire might not be for everyone just because of the sheer depth of it. also the fact that most of the time it doesnt leave you with a "good" feeling as "bad" stuff is usually what happens. some people always need the good guys to win.

Cheers for that. (highlight to reveal) I like that the "real-life" Omar survived a similar jump off a building as Omar the character did in the show.

yeah, loads of the characters are based on real people and some of the events are based on real events as well. just adds to the authenticity.
by the way, nice avatar :p ive had McNulty as my msn avatar for the last year or two. its pretty funny all the people asking me who it is.

yep, its pretty good but got nothing on the wire :)

7 eps in. hmm by then i woulda thought you would be well and truly hooked. could understand if it was 3 or 4 eps in because it does kinda start slowish while it introduces all the characters and the back story to all the plot lines but yeah. stick with it! :)

can understand though, that the wire might not be for everyone just because of the sheer depth of it. also the fact that most of the time it doesnt leave you with a "good" feeling as "bad" stuff is usually what happens. some people always need the good guys to win.

You want to see a show that doesn't leave you with a good feeling and great depth watch Dexter, my second favorite show behind The Shield. Although I'm not giving up on The Wire yet.

yeah, loads of the characters are based on real people and some of the events are based on real events as well. just adds to the authenticity.

I just thought that was great to hear that about Omar because lots of people complained about it being too unrealistic or far-fetched. Truth is stranger than fiction and all that, I guess.

I especially love that the Deacon is played by Melvin Williams, the inspiration for Avon, and the wire-tap story in general. I'm sure you've read this before, but in case you haven't (and for the benefit of anyone else who hasn't), David Simon's story about Williams and Ed Burns:

In December 1984, Melvin Williams - a lgendary player in the Baltimore drug trade -- was arrested by Det. Edward Burns as a result of an investigation of more than a year that included cloned pagers, wiretaps, undercover reverse buys of drugs, etc. Because of Little Melvin's long history, I was assigned to write a longer piece on his life, a profile so to speak. Over two years, I gathered string on Melvin -- meeting and getting to know Detective Burns in the process -- and ultimately, I wrote a long, five-part series about Melvin that ran in January 1987. During the reporting for that series, I was able to talk at length with Melvin at Lewisburg Penitentiary.

Less than a year ago, after winning his release from federal custody on a parole, Melvin Williams, Ed Burns, myself and Norris Davis (who plays Vinson on the show and has a lot of street history of his own, I must say) met for lunch in Little Italy, enjoying each others company, reflecting on things past and possible futures. It was a remarkable lunch, one of the strangest and improbable gatherings to which I have ever been a party.

At one point, Melvin handed me a business card with his cell number and Ed, dry as dirt, looked up from his salad just long enough to say, "What I wouldn't have given for that twenty years ago." Melvin smiled at that, and later, he gave Ed -- the man who had run the wiretap that finally caught him talking furtively at city payphones, who had brought about his last conviction and longest incarceration -- a little tease back. Professing that he was now retired from the game, Melvin declared that he was grateful that he was now free, that he had some good years left and that he still had a little money to spend.
"We didn't find much of the money, did we?" said Ed.
"No," said Melvin, smiling slightly. "You didn't."
I genuinely admired the way these two guys handled that lunch. Like professionals. Nothing personal, just two men with a lot of shared history accepting each other on present terms.

Melvin is now very active in Bethel A.M.E. church and outspoken against the drug culture. It seemed perversely appropriate to cast him therefore as the Deacon. He seems real and credible to me in the role. Having paid his debt and served his sentence, I wish him well and look forward to getting an expensive lesson in billiards from him.

I can't wait for Generation Kill, now. http://www.hbo.com/events/generationkill/

Jonesy1987 said:
You want to see a show that doesn't leave you with a good feeling and great depth watch Dexter

Err, no. I like the show, and I like The Shield, but neither compares to The Wire in terms of depth. Dexter in particular; that show ain't complicated.

Returns this Tuesday night on Nine.

Must be season 4 :D

Started last week. It's season 3. Which I saw in late 2005, and which originally aired in the States in late 2004. Great job, Nein. Seeing bullshit like that makes me so glad I don't have to rely on free-to-air for quality television.

Started last week. It's season 3. Which I saw in late 2005, and which originally aired in the States in late 2004. Great job, Nein. Seeing bullshit like that makes me so glad I don't have to rely on free-to-air for quality television.

Ah yeah, I actually remember the last time it aired now. It was the first time I ever saw it. Wasn't particularly watching it, just happened to be on in the background. It was season 2 on the docks. The thing that got my attention was Omar testifying :D

I just thought that was great to hear that about Omar because lots of people complained about it being too unrealistic or far-fetched. Truth is stranger than fiction and all that, I guess.

I especially love that the Deacon is played by Melvin Williams, the inspiration for Avon, and the wire-tap story in general. I'm sure you've read this before, but in case you haven't (and for the benefit of anyone else who hasn't), David Simon's story about Williams and Ed Burns:

yeah thats true.
there is also the real life Jay Landsman playing the role Lt Mello, who is Bunnys lieutenant in S3 who then goes on to be the Major of the Eastern.

its awesome how they cast some of the roles. Snoop for example basically plays herself as she is an ex-crim who had spent time in jail.

I can't wait for Generation Kill, now. http://www.hbo.com/events/generationkill/
yeah i know! cant wait *rubs hands* :D

Err, no. I like the show, and I like The Shield, but neither compares to The Wire in terms of depth. Dexter in particular; that show ain't complicated.

agree! ive also watched both the shield and dexter and while i dont mind either of them, they have nothing on the wire in terms of depth. well lets be honest, they have nothing on the wire full stop :)

The Wire S1 on special as of May 1

That's right, on May 1 Season 1 of The Wire will be on special for $30 at EzyDVD. I know that I've been waiting for ages for it to go on special so I can pick it up and give it a whirl and I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: The Wire S1 on special as of May 1

Well worth getting!!!

if only to see McNulty exclaim "What the F did I do"

one of the most iconic lines in television history :p

its a bargain when you can get shows like the wire, sopranoes, west wing etc for the price of a dvd movie. They must sell like hot cakes.

If only they'd release season 3 here... and 4... and hopefully 5 when the time comes.

Hope they do, but i think the window of oppertunity to release them has passed - don't think they'll seize the moment and release the rest.

I got season 1 & 2 a year and a half ago for $25 each, i'd look for them to be that price at another store (such as JB Hifi) when the Ezydvd reduction kicks in.

If only they'd release season 3 here... and 4... and hopefully 5 when the time comes.

Since Channel Nein just started showing season 3, it's a safe bet that it'll be released at some point. But my advise to those who want to buy it is to do what I did; buy them online. I bought seasons 3 and 4 via Amazon for $95 (Aussie dollars, including shipping) just before christmas.

Since Channel Nein just started showing season 3, it's a safe bet that it'll be released at some point. But my advise to those who want to buy it is to do what I did; buy them online. I bought seasons 3 and 4 via Amazon for $95 (Aussie dollars, including shipping) just before christmas.

I bought seasons 1 and 2 when they first came out here. I've bought plenty of dvd's from amazon but if I buy season 3 and 4 from them my shelf will look stupid and I know it's an obsessive compulsive thing but it just annoys me :D

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back