The worst day/s of your life as a footy fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

The day Griffen announced he was leaving stuck out to me. I was so unbelievablely down about that because it was so unexpected. At the time, it felt like a flag had never been further away.

The journey over the last two years from that exact moment is something I'll forever be grateful for.

Worst day in Football for me was July 4th 1996 when the AFL decided to kill off my club

If the AFL were a person I'd've wanted them charged with murder.

When the Socceroos were outplaying Italy and it was 10 men to 11 with only a few minutes left to go until extra time. We looked fitter, had the momentum and obviously had an extra player on the field. I was starting to dream

Then Grosso happened. Grosso fell over in the penatly box and Totti, who was largely unsighted the whole game, put the ball into the back of the net from the penalty. Subsequently Italy went on to win the world cup.

I was heartbroken.

This would be because he didn't actually come on until the 75th minute.

Don't we all have bad moments. And to be honest all but 1 team will not win the flag during a season.

Many, especially after 1998

2006 preliminary final .... the worst feeling ever, the worst summer, affected the team badly in 2007 .... it sucked for a long, long time. A wonderful effort by an injury hit Adelaide team who gave it their best. But to get a preliminary final at home, a chance that so rarely happens.

2008 final round, move into 4th with a win over the Bulldogs. Then St Kilda destroys Essendon to swap Adelaide from 4th to 5th. Adelaide plays a home EF vs Collingwood. I did not watch the game.

The 2009 semi final choke.

2007, 2013 and 2014 season.

2016 final round, the Choke show vs the Eagles that costs Adelaide a top 4 spot.

All the close losses over the years.

Off field Millane's death, even though I was a young kid (under 10) I still remember it.

Onfield isn't even close to the above, however it's a matter of where to start. McGuane's non mark on the siren in 1994, Cloke getting rubbed out for 2002 GF, Lynch's dodgy free kick in 2002, Rocca's goal not being paid in 2002, Rocca getting rubbed out for 2003 GF, Pendlebury running out of time in the 2007 prelim, Malthouse not moving Reid in 2011 or the only two matches I've left early (both against Ross Lyon coached sides).

I have several.

Watching NicNat do his knee was horrific viewing. I watched that contest with almost a sixth sense that something would go wrong, the camera angle showed him hit the contest seemingly in slow motion. What made it worse I think was then (in my attempt to console my broken heart) was watching the highlights of him scoring the winning goal the week prior and the scenes of jubilation from all around the club. How much things can change in a week- how I wish he'd got himself suspended for overpartying that week. ;)

Chris Judd leaving was almost rock bottom, our club was in tatters, our captain had left..

But I think for me watching our club getting absolutely Pantsed by a rampaging Brisbane at the Gabba in 2000 was probably the worst day as a supporter, especially for my 10 y/o self.

The grand finals hurt.. but being good enough to qualify for one means you've had a great year.

nothing more draining for a saints fan than the 2010 grand final replay.... we were cooked in the first quarter and well done in the last, very dark day for our club.

after all those years of making finals from 2004-2010, not making the finals in 2007, losing 3 prelims and an elimination final against melbourne (of all teams), the gf against geelong and the draw, this match was just too much to take :(

The rebuild is almost done though, bring on 2017!!!!!

Watching hawthorn almost beat us by 30 goals in 2011 I thought I was watching the death of my once glorious club. Even shed a tear or two not gonna lie. That was an awful, awful feeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no 'spring chicken', I'm well into my 50's. So I've been present for;
Losing a GF after being 44 points up - 1970
Having your best player knocked out & put in a coma never really to return again-1972 John Greening
Losing a Prelim after being 45 points up - 1973
Losing an Elim by 5 points - 1975
Drawing a GF after being 28 points up in 4th Q - 1977
Losing a GF after being 5 goals up -1979. Plus Harmes was out!
Losing a GF after being 21 points up in time on of 3Q - 1981
Losing Darren Millane - 1991
Losing Qual Final in Perth by 4 points - 1994
Losing GF by 9 points - 2002when Rocca goals but not paid, Tarrant strangled but not paid, Lynch dives and gets paid
Being 24 up at 1/2 time in GF - 2010 only to draw - went home thinking we'd blown yet another one!

Last edited:
2009 GF nothing comes close.

The toepoke and Chapman, Hawkins hitting the post, missed chances in the 2nd quarter; It reads like a nightmare.

We could've lead by 35 at Halftime if we kicked straight which is the worst to think about.

The other thing that comes to mind isn't 2010 but the 2005 Prelim. First big chance to make the GF while playing in Melbourne, all the tips are St Kilda and we're up by 14 late in the 3rd. 8 goals to none in the last quarter and i get my first taste of 2 things: Shattering finals defeat, and then 2-4 days later the AFL playing favourites and bending the rules (Barry Hall)

2009 GF nothing comes close.

I honestly would have thought 2010 would hurt more for Saints fans with the fate of that bounce calling the first draw.

It's all been smooth sailing for the Bulldogs over the journey, nothing but smiles and rainbows. No bad memories at all.

Neen a few. For rhe Giants although it was tough early there was always the potential for success, it was just a matter of belief.
In previous lives
The 1976 SANFL GF was there to watch as a 16yo Bays supporter. Newly independent and with a mate who had a car and licence decided to go. After all of the effort in getting tkts travelling etc it never really occurred to me we would lose. I learnt a lesson that day, a very painful one.
The Hawks line in the sand game. Was an interstate member at that time and sad to see a great club lose it's way that badly. It probably was the darkness hour before dawn though, and might have been the wake up call needed.

I honestly would have thought 2010 would hurt more for Saints fans with the fate of that bounce calling the first draw.

For some it is but for me 2010 was a bit more unlikely we came from 24 points down in the 2nd to nearly snatch a win but couldn't quite and it didn't feel so devastating with the draw because we got a 2nd chance.

2009 we were the best team all year and wasted our opportunities. Lead at every change and missed so many shots

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst day/s of your life as a footy fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back