The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

That the real threat to his career is not concussion but a mental health issue that hasn't been disclosed.

Also that the hard occasional hits to his helmet are not as bad as the smaller, repetitive hits footballers take so perhaps his discussion issues just aren't that serious?
If I am a Test Selector

Am I going to pick someone who is repeatedly badged when he plays the short ball?

That the real threat to his career is not concussion but a mental health issue that hasn't been disclosed.

Also that the hard occasional hits to his helmet are not as bad as the smaller, repetitive hits footballers take so perhaps his discussion issues just aren't that serious?
That's a ridiculous take. Tell me what other test level cricketer is being taken out of every second game he plays because he gets badged?

If I am a Test Selector

Am I going to pick someone who is repeatedly badged when he plays the short ball?
I disagreed with his debut selection.
That's a ridiculous take. Tell me what other test level cricketer is being taken out of every second game he plays because he gets badged?
Yep, we’re being asked to swallow BS again like when he was withdrawn from the 2nd XI match in January.

I disagreed with his debut selection.

Yep, we’re being asked to swallow BS again like when he was withdrawn from the 2nd XI match in January.

He is flat out unreliable no way if I'm a selector I'm ever picking him again at the top level. He'd either get badged and be out for the game or some external factors will cause him to miss time. Needs to become a commentator which he showed potential as and just forget playing cricket. I wish CA would step in, it is for the best.

This is a massive tragedy. Bloke would've juxtaposed extremely well with Smith/Labuschagne, as they whip through leg where he played classic drives; forget to reset your field to suit Smith and Puc would hit you through straight mid-on or genuine mid on, or vice versa and Smith/Labs would whip you through wide mid on/mid wicket.

Another right hander would also minimise the danger of the Broad/Anderson/Gabriel/Philander bowler who can get movement from around the wicket at the lefties to such excellent effect.

All the best to him from here.

This is a massive tragedy. Bloke would've juxtaposed extremely well with Smith/Labuschagne, as they whip through leg where he played classic drives; forget to reset your field to suit Smith and Puc would hit you through straight mid-on or genuine mid on, or vice versa and Smith/Labs would whip you through wide mid on/mid wicket.

Another right hander would also minimise the danger of the Broad/Anderson/Gabriel/Philander bowler who can get movement from around the wicket at the lefties to such excellent effect.

All the best to him from here.

I was just thinking that. This is tinged with a "what might have been" feeling. Hopefully he isn't lost to the sport. Maybe a career in the comms booth.

Very sad day but the right decision. There is more important things in life than cricket

He seems like a very bright young guy from his stints in commentary. Has a very bright future without the pads on

Will forever be a what could have been though. Had so much talent and have no doubt it would have translated into a dominant international career

Yep. But jeez, an absolute deer in the headlights against anything short.

I accept that you might get nailed occasionally, but to be repeatedly drilled by pretty much just turning your head on them is pretty poor technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I accept that you might get nailed occasionally, but to be repeatedly drilled by pretty much just turning your head on them is pretty poor technique.

Lost his bottle after wearing a few and then concussed by a stiff breeze.

Will remain one of the big "what-ifs" of Australian cricket.

Fingers crossed Will lives a long, happy and healthy life from here.

It was mental more then anything, at least he has made the smart decision.

Shame, has a career in broadcasting open to him. Wonder if it was more the yips than technique after a certain point. I once got smashed in the face by a ball getting hit back in the nets while bowling and could never shake a slight flinch while releasing the ball which stuffed up my whole action, takes a lot to come back from for some I think.

Shame, has a career in broadcasting open to him. Wonder if it was more the yips than technique after a certain point. I once got smashed in the face by a ball getting hit back in the nets while bowling and could never shake a slight flinch while releasing the ball which stuffed up my whole action, takes a lot to come back from for some I think.

its mental, when a player thinks there weak in an area they overthink it.. Phillip Hughes could play a short ball but the media bashed him saying he couldn't, it ****ed him.. same with Will unfortunately.

I reckon after this case, places are gonna be extremely careful about signing players with concussion histories now.

Cricket Victoria could be facing a massive payout

its mental, when a player thinks there weak in an area they overthink it.. Phillip Hughes could play a short ball but the media bashed him saying he couldn't, it ****ed him.. same with Will unfortunately.
Phillp Hughes unfortunately had a pretty significant technical flaw in his first iteration as a Test player and should have made a pair on Test Debut. Instead of going back and across his first movement of his back foot was to the leg side - opening up the off side fir those slashes through point. Because he made runs no one was allowed to tinker with it (under Dad’s orders) and so it went on unchecked. The problem with that movement is if you get the ball honed in in you, fast and short, you’ve got nowhere to go. When he got dropped the first time he refused to change but after the second time he had mad some changes but sadly we will never know. His was a freak accident.

Phillp Hughes unfortunately had a pretty significant technical flaw in his first iteration as a Test player and should have made a pair on Test Debut. Instead of going back and across his first movement of his back foot was to the leg side - opening up the off side fir those slashes through point. Because he made runs no one was allowed to tinker with it (under Dad’s orders) and so it went on unchecked. The problem with that movement is if you get the ball honed in in you, fast and short, you’ve got nowhere to go. When he got dropped the first time he refused to change but after the second time he had mad some changes but sadly we will never know. His was a freak accident.
While I largely agree with you I also think you do have "somewhere to go"

And that somewhere IS NOT "just turn your head".

Even the "look at the ground" method is preferable to turning your head and pretty much offering up your neck/ear area.

I always feared for Hughes safety with his short ball "technique". He was the first top order batsman at that level I'd seen who repeatedly turned his head on the short ball.

It has to get coached out INSTANTLY when it's seen.

You and I are 100% in agreeance about selecting someone who repeatedly gets badged. But I'd rather they got hit on the badge than turn their head.

While I largely agree with you I also think you do have "somewhere to go"

And that somewhere IS NOT "just turn your head".

Even the "look at the ground" method is preferable to turning your head and pretty much offering up your neck/ear area.

I always feared for Hughes safety with his short ball "technique". He was the first top order batsman at that level I'd seen who repeatedly turned his head on the short ball.

It has to get coached out INSTANTLY when it's seen.

You and I are 100% in agreeance about selecting someone who repeatedly gets badged. But I'd rather they got hit on the badge than turn their head.
It’s a long time ago but me and a mate (both batting technique coach nuffies) watched Hughes on Test debut in SA and both were of the view that he wouldn’t survive in Test Cricket with that back foot movement. SA put zero time into him because they didn’t rate him and allowed him to prosper and bowled the wrong line.

Another mate in NSW came (high level coach) down for a visit and we got into a bit of a discussion about Hughes and I asked how he had been allowed to get through the system without any intervention and the message came back that people had tried but his father wouldn’t allow anyone to change it because “he made runs”

It’s a long time ago but me and a mate (both batting technique coach nuffies) watched Hughes on Test debut in SA and both were of the view that he wouldn’t survive in Test Cricket with that back foot movement. SA put zero time into him because they didn’t rate him and allowed him to prosper and bowled the wrong line.

Another mate in NSW came (high level coach) down for a visit and we got into a bit of a discussion about Hughes and I asked how he had been allowed to get through the system without any intervention and the message came back that people had tried but his father wouldn’t allow anyone to change it because “he made runs”
Yeah not surprising. Also not surprising that bowlers worked him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Back