Things that shit you about the NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

But if the grab the rebound after the first free throw, it doesn't count for anything (not even a stat), because there's still another free throw to come. If you get it, you just have to hand it back to the ref anyway. I notice this a lot in college basketball too, and I wonder why it happens :confused:

What gets me is the frequent lack of offensive rebounding effort after the 2nd free throw (or first, if it was an "and 1") in the NBA. Usually they just run back down the defensive end and leave it for the other team to rebound and bring up court. I've played basketball for 15 years (mainly as a centre), and the offensive team's players always contest the rebound on the 2nd free throw, so I don't know why it's different in the NBA. Maybe they just don't want to work hard all the time :p

hmmm i suck at posting gifs.

peternorth said:
nit picking, but the pre game look at me shit nba players get upto. shaq used to do some funny stuff in his orlando days, but now we get all this dancing look at me shit that shits me. dont see this sort of stuff happen down here.

Not really the same but i had a laugh when i saw the Brisbane Lions "breaking a player in" routine. Kind of reminded me of the Detroit/whoever circle dance they do.

It happens in College because when the Team Fouls get to 7, they get a '1 and 1', meaning if they miss the first, then they don't get a 2nd shot.

10 fouls or Double Bonus, you get 2 foul shots regardless.

I honestly wasn't aware of that :eek:

Because if the defensive players are semi-competent at boxing out, crashing the offensive glass on free throws is borderline pointless.

The exception is if you're significantly taller than the guy boxing out (in which case you can tip from over his back) or if the free throw shooter is really bad (in which case the ball can take some funky angles).

If anyone during the time I've played basketball went to a coach and said "I don't want to go for offensive rebounds on free throws, because the defensive team is afforded a closer position by default", I'm pretty sure they would have been labelled a slacker and possibly benched for their troubles. If you actually try you've got a decent chance of getting the offensive rebound (if there is one) off a free throw, because they usually (in my experience) come off at the front or (unless the shooter is especially terrible, as you noted). Admittedly, it's hard to get a full box out on as the offensive player, but you can usually provided a bit of body work from the side. Even if they are outsized, if I were a coach I'd still want my players to contest if the ball there to be had.

slow news day

nit picking, but the pre game look at me shit nba players get upto. shaq used to do some funny stuff in his orlando days, but now we get all this dancing look at me shit that shits me. dont see this sort of stuff happen down here.

I remember reading on the Internet last year how so many people went nuts about Shaq dancing with the Jabbawockeez at the All-Star Game. I had the game on tape and hadn't watched it yet, so my first thoughts were "Who the heck are the Jabbawockeez". Once I watched it, I was suitably underwhelmed anyway. As Dennis Rodman once said, "they're dancing and playing music and making out like it's the 4th of July", when they should just let the players play the damn game. Then again, I'm not really a fan of Shaq and all his "personality" and "humour" and "qouteability", so that could be a factor in why I didn't enjoy it.

ok not nba per se, but people who talk about their fantasy teams non stop, or specifically their players. a general chat about the A would be ruined by "what do you think about joe johnson (as an example)?". i might say, all star, goes about it quietly but the hawks are entertaining etc... person would fire back quick as a shot with "he's doing well for me (fantasy team)".

Some people seem to focus more on individual players than teams once they get involved in fantasy sports, and care more about individual stats than whether a team actually won or lost. To an extent the same goes for AFL fans that play Dream Team and Supercoach.

scenario: whistle goes, foul away from the ball. player A shoots anyway, ball on the way or is near the rim. player B (opposing team) swats it away. pointless and makes me frustrated and i cant enjoy my time in the house

It just seems like a w***erish way of trying to show how much of a hard-ass defensive player you are. You know, you're so competitive that you won't even give the other team a basket when it doesn't count. They should stop it, and go for an offensive rebound on a free throw sometime instead :p

If anyone during the time I've played basketball went to a coach and said "I don't want to go for offensive rebounds on free throws, because the defensive team is afforded a closer position by default", I'm pretty sure they would have been labelled a slacker and possibly benched for their troubles. If you actually try you've got a decent chance of getting the offensive rebound (if there is one) off a free throw, because they usually (in my experience) come off at the front or (unless the shooter is especially terrible, as you noted). Admittedly, it's hard to get a full box out on as the offensive player, but you can usually provided a bit of body work from the side. Even if they are outsized, if I were a coach I'd still want my players to contest if the ball there to be had.

Maybe so but the quality of boxing out in the NBA compared your social roster would clearly be of a different standard I'd say (;)) and with the speed of the NBA if a big man over-commits trying to get an offensive rebound he can be behind the 8-ball defensively in transition going down the court. There is also the fact that typically your chances of getting an O-board in your social roster is higher because the FT% will generally be lower, not to mention going too hard and giving away a pointless "over-the-back" foul is also far from what your coach will want you to be doing.

I understand where you are coming from but I think your expectations of getting offensive boards are a bit beyond the reality in terms of it just takes some extra competitiveness.

Some people seem to focus more on individual players than teams once they get involved in fantasy sports, and care more about individual stats than whether a team actually won or lost. To an extent the same goes for AFL fans that play Dream Team and Supercoach.

I don't mind people who follow individual players because of how they play, but once it crosses in the fantasy sports realm where if they don't give enough point they are clearly "shit players," that irritates me.

As do gamblers who have constant hissy fits at teams they bet on and never blame themselves for putting on a poor bet.

I don't mind people who follow individual players because of how they play, but once it crosses in the fantasy sports realm where if they don't give enough point they are clearly "shit players," that irritates me.

As do gamblers who have constant hissy fits at teams they bet on and never blame themselves for putting on a poor bet.

yeah and these fantasy guys are only interested in points (ie stats) and dont see the game as a whole. they then try the "i see more players than you, i know more about the nba".

gamblers are funny. when they win they tell everyone, but when they lose you never hear a thing

If you manage to snag a rebound that comes off at the front, you've either got several inches on the defense, or one of the 3 on the box are failing miserably at boxing out.

Basically, in the NBA, if it's a good FT shooter (who misses predictably), being aggressive will earn you fouls, not rebounds.

When it's a bad shooter, or when it's towards the end of the game, then guys do crash the board as there the risk/reward is more in your favour.

NB: None of the above applies if you're playing Lolden State or the Knickerbockers.

Maybe so but the quality of boxing out in the NBA compared your social roster would clearly be of a different standard I'd say (;)) and with the speed of the NBA if a big man over-commits trying to get an offensive rebound he can be behind the 8-ball defensively in transition going down the court. There is also the fact that typically your chances of getting an O-board in your social roster is higher because the FT% will generally be lower, not to mention going too hard and giving away a pointless "over-the-back" foul is also far from what your coach will want you to be doing.

I understand where you are coming from but I think your expectations of getting offensive boards are a bit beyond the reality in terms of it just takes some extra competitiveness.

Anyway, points taken and understood, but still, rebounding (either offensive or defensive) isn't a very complicated an aspect of the sport, and IMO most of it comes down to wanting the ball more than the other person. Similarly to defense, a lot of players simply aren't willing to put in the work and/or try hard enough of a regular basis. Yes, I am criticising guys who get payed millions for not working hard enough on the court :p because I believe most of them don't. Most of the basketball I've played has been above the social level ;) but obviously I've never experienced NBA basketball as a player, so the points you bought up (and MDC's points about aggression=fouls, as I've seen it ruin players like Rodman, Ron Artest and Danny Fortson at times) are probably more valid than my experiences in club basketball here in Adelaide.

EDIT: I'll just clarify that that last part wasn't meant in a smart-ass/sarcastic way, even though it could come across that way.

Anyway, points taken and understood, but still, rebounding (either offensive or defensive) isn't a very complicated an aspect of the sport, and IMO most of it comes down to wanting the ball more than the other person.

Then we are certainly at other ends of the spectrum. You can try all you want but if that box out is solid by the defensive team all you are going to do by trying to bust through a defender for the O-board is give away a foul and find yourself on the bench in foul trouble.

You seem to suggest that if all players need to do to get O-boards is want them and that rebounding is a 50/50 contest. You are correct that effort gets rebounds but the percentages are skewed no matter how much anyone tries.

I think these videos but fundamentally and some of the moves with Dwight shows well the superior percentage you have as the defensive rebounder to get the ball no matter how much effort the offensive rebounder puts in.

[youtube]vKFRS7CBTUc[/youtube]

[youtube]q_ozw1PTgC8[/youtube]

Andy V gets a good 90% of these when the FT clanks off to the side and he can run around behind the box-out and out-quick the defense.

True but not every free throw is going to softly just roll off the rim, and i think what damon is getting at is that the player actually stay in the area in the hope that it might take that awkward bounce not simply start walking back just before it leaves his hands.

Andy V seems to be generally regarded as the offensive rebound king but I'd still want Dwight, Big Ben, Noah and K-Love, and probably a couple more that don't come to mind right now, patrolling the paint on my bricks before I put Varejao in there.

Was only using Andy V as an example (Not saying he is the best off rebounder just in that situation of a missed ft it seems every time i watch him play he always seems to be the one getting the tip back/rebound). I remember last week against the Nuggets we had 2 people trying to box him out and he still got it :S

True but not every free throw is going to softly just roll off the rim, and i think what damon is getting at is that the player actually stay in the area in the hope that it might take that awkward bounce not simply start walking back just before it leaves his hands.

Yea that's pretty much what I mean. A lot of the time in the NBA they don't even seem to bother at all with the offensive rebound off the free throw, but are on their way back down the other end as the ball is leaving the shooter's hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andy V seems to be generally regarded as the offensive rebound king but I'd still want Dwight, Big Ben, Noah and K-Love, and probably a couple more that don't come to mind right now, patrolling the paint on my bricks before I put Varejao in there.

Channing Frye?

LaMarcus Aldridge?

David West?

even short armed kevin willis could snag more than these guys

no idea who ppl are referring to as andy V. ill assume its andrew vlahov

Andrew-Vlahov.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that shit you about the NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back