Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not teach carpentry ... I.e TAS?
I know people that have given up trying to get their foot in the door as a lecturer and it isnt getting any easier with so many tradies struggling for work atm. At least i have the opportunity to make some cash on the weekends or part time on the tools whilst going to uni.

Seriously thinking of a career change into secondary teaching. Im 34yo male, pretty cruisy guy with career in mining and carpentry. I have 4 sons and a wife who is just about to re-enter the work force as a police officer which gives me the opportunity for a career change.

Im considering becoming either a PE teacher or a Science teacher though im not sure if the later requires extra study? What is the demand for PE or science teachers within WA?
You won't get a job as a phys ed teacher. Massive oversupply, Science and Maths positions are definitely available.

Why not become a D&T teacher?

Speaking about the VIC system, but I expect it would be similar to WA, and everywhere else.

Math/Science teachers are always in demand, especially general science teachers. There's plenty who can teach Biol for example, but far less who can teach Physics or Chemistry.

But good Design Tech teachers are rarer than hens teeth. Their value to the school can be immense.

Studying my Masters of Education (Secondary) at Melbourne Uni this year. It's an 18month course, but we can start teaching after 12months and finish the last semester of the masters while we're teaching.

Despite some interesting experiences on placement, nothing has deterred me and I'm still very happy with the career/direction choice.

I know uni are going to run us through the application process next semester in about July sometime, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on the application process itself, what to ensure to include in the resume/cover letter etc..

For the record, I'll be a qualified English and Business Studies teacher, which I like mainly due to the range - 'Business Studies' consists of Business Management, Legal Studies, Accounting and Economics. Additionally, I'm gonna do an elective title "Mathematics" next semester, which Melbourne have said basically means "You can't walk around saying you have a maths qualification, but doing this will basically give you the competency to teach years 7-9 maths."
I've always been fairly good at maths (did well at both Further and Methods in year 12) and am interested in it - Should I be ensuring that I make this a focus point somehow in my resume/cover letter/interviews eventually?

Studying my Masters of Education (Secondary) at Melbourne Uni this year. It's an 18month course, but we can start teaching after 12months and finish the last semester of the masters while we're teaching.

Despite some interesting experiences on placement, nothing has deterred me and I'm still very happy with the career/direction choice.

I know uni are going to run us through the application process next semester in about July sometime, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on the application process itself, what to ensure to include in the resume/cover letter etc..

For the record, I'll be a qualified English and Business Studies teacher, which I like mainly due to the range - 'Business Studies' consists of Business Management, Legal Studies, Accounting and Economics. Additionally, I'm gonna do an elective title "Mathematics" next semester, which Melbourne have said basically means "You can't walk around saying you have a maths qualification, but doing this will basically give you the competency to teach years 7-9 maths."
I've always been fairly good at maths (did well at both Further and Methods in year 12) and am interested in it - Should I be ensuring that I make this a focus point somehow in my resume/cover letter/interviews eventually?

Nice that you have a range of business subjects. Typically, Legal and Business are taught in electives from Y9 up, and Accounting and Economics would only be offered at VCE. I don't think Economics is offered widely, but I might be wrong.

In which, case, you're more likely to find yourself teaching Y7-Y9 English and Humanities.

If you can find a job teaching Senior classes early in your career, that's great, and it is definitely possible.

Your best chance of getting hired is from one of the places you've done teaching rounds.

Failing that, start getting Relief Teaching work (whilst studying if that's possible) as soon as possible. You'll pick a short term contract, covering short term absences (1-12 months) reasonably quickly - if you're any good. And, again, if you're any good, it'll be reasonably easy to roll that into an ongoing contract.

At the school that I work at, we'll often have more than 100 applicants for an advertised position, and often interview 3-5, normally, one of which is the incumbent and will almost definitely get the job.

Good luck, and if you want more info, feel free to pm.

Iv narrowed my field down to 1 of the 3 science fields of Biology, Social Science, Physical Science.
I know there is a big demand for general science teachers in WA. Whats the demand for Biology and Social science teachers currently like in WA?
Im thinking of doing a minor in Maths if i got down the Physical science path but social science looks by far the more interesting field to atleast study.

Use a recruitment company too. I used Smart teachers - I had a 1 term placement straight out of uni, and now on FT work st a different independent school after that term finished.

Interview process is standard - if you can talk a good game and show your passionate, often a young teacher will get a start.

Definitely become chummy with your prac supervisors though (and do a good job!). I still see my prac supervisor once a fortnight down at the local shops so he's always on the lookout for me too

Social science is a science field? Physical science maybe... They're all really very different to me. In terms of demand, go for biology and humanities/social science.
Yeah we called it social studies when i was at school. Just wondering what the demand is like in these 3 fields

You get some really wonderful and funny stories.

Today, we were doing sharing (show and tell) and one little girl had her turn.

She came up to the front and said, "my sharing news today is, we moved houses". I wasn't overly listening as sharing is as boring as bat shit with yr 1's and I asked, that's sounds very exciting XXXXX, why did you move?

Her responce was, "my dad bit mum and made her nose bleed and now we live with nana". My first thought was, oh **** - how can I move this on and said "thank for sharing, any questions or comments" and the very first question was "is he in jail"

And she said - yes but mum says we won't go see him as he's a drunk.

On holidays now.:)

Last month or so of term 2 was the most intense and busy occupational experience Ive ever had in terms of reports, assessments and kids turning absoluletly feral, including a few near violent altercations in the class room with kids off their heads, dealing with drug addict parents (Im at a very low socio-economic area school). Lots of long days turning into nights and weekends taken up.

Ive had more jobs than hot dinners but half way through the year and I still think going into teaching was the best thing Ive ever done. I dont want to do anything else. I love it.

One thing I can say is that teachers love to bitch, moan and whinge. So much frikking politics and drama. Its like Days of Our Lives at my school. Taking days off at the drop of a hat, resisting everything asked of them by admin and principals, looking to claim every entitlement under the sun. Its really bad.

Now its time for a tropical holiday!

Did you hack into my account and posts this as me? I could have posted this word for word except the kids turning feral. However, I've had them like that in the past.

By just reading your comment, it's stay to say you don't have a very strong, successful or supportive leadership team at your site. Nothing about your teaching but strong leadership teams stamp those issues out in classrooms before they even start and then that allows teachers to actually teach.

I've been in your situation and when you move to a school with strong, supportive and sucessful programs in placer by leadership, you can see the difference.

How many of y'all used a portfolio during the recruitment process? I'm getting mixed messages from uni, placement schools, teachers etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of y'all used a portfolio during the recruitment process? I'm getting mixed messages from uni, placement schools, teachers etc.
Only use one if it is of an extremely high standard. No point putting together a mediocre portfolio just for the sake of saying that you have one.

The difference between whether or not you get the job won't be because of a portfolio in majority of cases.

If you have a digital portfolio and can hook your laptop up to a projector in the interview room, go for it. Principals love that shit. Ooooh, technology in the classroom!

Always have used a hand made over digital.. cannot rely on a digital portfolio if it fails to load or they dont have a projector in the room.

My feedback from principals has been mixed. Some find them crap as anyone can make a portfolio. It comes down to how you sell yourself in the interview and the answers you give.

Having my first praccie in a couple of weeks, hopefully my Year 7's don't drive them away from teaching! The other classes should make up for them.

Have in the past. Pre ACARA days when it was known as SOSE.

Why?
Just needing new pedagogy instead of me standing in front of the class doing a chalk and talk or a powerpoint presentation. Finding it hard to give away the information if I'm not standing in front of the students. Worried that they're not getting the correct information. Even tried a research task which led to a group work task and the students are just not strong enough to go and get the relevant information.

Having my first praccie in a couple of weeks, hopefully my Year 7's don't drive them away from teaching! The other classes should make up for them.
I decided to do my postgrad in Education, so I'm on my first and last prac this semester. You must have some really bad Year 7s, mine are great. Even the dreaded Year 9s are somewhat okay. I must be lucky!

I'm on prac at the moment and from what I saw last year and so far this prac the 7s are great. Sure they can be rowdy but also fun at the same time. They also seem to be more respectful. It's the 9s and 10s to be more worried about- 10s were horrendous for me last year.

Just needing new pedagogy instead of me standing in front of the class doing a chalk and talk or a powerpoint presentation. Finding it hard to give away the information if I'm not standing in front of the students. Worried that they're not getting the correct information. Even tried a research task which led to a group work task and the students are just not strong enough to go and get the relevant information.

I decided to do my postgrad in Education, so I'm on my first and last prac this semester. You must have some really bad Year 7s, mine are great. Even the dreaded Year 9s are somewhat okay. I must be lucky!
There are some games you can play for stuff like that, although they do take a lot of prior preparation and SOSE does already have a lot of administrative crap already attached to it...I studied it as a minor, and love science as an interest, but I wouldn't teach either unless a dump truck full of money pulled up to my house...!

You can make up a game detective style, where kids have to go and find info based upon questions or actions. The info is already prepared and written by you, unless you can find resources that already exist (business opp there if they don't). I also use Trivial Pursuit and make up the questions and categories instead of the supplied ones - for a Pos Ed unit about the brain once, I divided the categories into different brain topics and challenges (e.g. orange was a maths question, brown was a physical challenge like rotate your foot clockwise and try to draw a six in the air, green was a magic eye pic, etc). Did something weird for Monopoly once too, can't remember exact details...maybe it didn't work as well...! Videos are good too, especially if you chop up youtube clips and add your own commentary if what's out there doesn't hit the mark...my ancient copy of Adobe Premier Pro is my best friend. Short hits, not an hour long doco. It's not so much about avoiding chalk and powerpoints as it is using them effectively in the middle of a sequence of focussed fun stuff...the lesson in front of the board which ties all the concepts up is far more powerful than one which follows on from all the chalk and powerpoints that came before it, and you do need to sit down and write the facts at some stage. Role plays, posters, etc...kids love the stupid stuff, and if they associate the topic with fun, they will handle the lecture style stuff more readily in short bursts.

I'm personally not a big fan of any task which says "get on the internet and see what you can find out about...". As you say, the kids themselves struggle with that. The more info there is, the harder it is to manage it. I also believe a kid who takes a single source or two and ravages it (like we used to do with that single volume of an encyclopedia as little kids) is better off than a kid with piles of disparate info and no focus in dismantling it. Just select info, prepare it, and then let the kids attack it...

There are some games you can play for stuff like that, although they do take a lot of prior preparation and SOSE does already have a lot of administrative crap already attached to it...I studied it as a minor, and love science as an interest, but I wouldn't teach either unless a dump truck full of money pulled up to my house...!

You can make up a game detective style, where kids have to go and find info based upon questions or actions. The info is already prepared and written by you, unless you can find resources that already exist (business opp there if they don't). I also use Trivial Pursuit and make up the questions and categories instead of the supplied ones - for a Pos Ed unit about the brain once, I divided the categories into different brain topics and challenges (e.g. orange was a maths question, brown was a physical challenge like rotate your foot clockwise and try to draw a six in the air, green was a magic eye pic, etc). Did something weird for Monopoly once too, can't remember exact details...maybe it didn't work as well...! Videos are good too, especially if you chop up youtube clips and add your own commentary if what's out there doesn't hit the mark...my ancient copy of Adobe Premier Pro is my best friend. Short hits, not an hour long doco. It's not so much about avoiding chalk and powerpoints as it is using them effectively in the middle of a sequence of focussed fun stuff...the lesson in front of the board which ties all the concepts up is far more powerful than one which follows on from all the chalk and powerpoints that came before it, and you do need to sit down and write the facts at some stage. Role plays, posters, etc...kids love the stupid stuff, and if they associate the topic with fun, they will handle the lecture style stuff more readily in short bursts.

I'm personally not a big fan of any task which says "get on the internet and see what you can find out about...". As you say, the kids themselves struggle with that. The more info there is, the harder it is to manage it. I also believe a kid who takes a single source or two and ravages it (like we used to do with that single volume of an encyclopedia as little kids) is better off than a kid with piles of disparate info and no focus in dismantling it. Just select info, prepare it, and then let the kids attack it...

Thanks mate for the response, last paragraph is 100% correct!

Kids do love the stupid stuff and also, funnily enough, the gory stuff. Piqued a lot of interests when I mentioned the Black Death.

It can be great fun for us, too. I've been given the dregs Y8 reading class this semester...the rowdiest boys and shyest girls, all with big literacy issues. They gave us these modules to work through, glossy cards with carefully thought out levels, great graphics, and a six-page step by step by lesson plan for each session..."real easy, all done for you" was the sell I got from the regular English teachers who could barely hide their joy in knowing how much easier their lives would be with me getting the worst class...!

It took me twenty minutes on day 1 to realise it would all go to shit permanently, because the kids didn't have the attention span or discipline to handle a regimented I Do We Do You Do lesson every week which did everything in the reading class except actually read...! These modules are great ideas at the time in the university thinktank world, but none of those guys ever seem to remember what happens in a real classroom...

So the last few weeks, we've read a card, stuck a few questions on the board, and chinwagged...the other day the card on infectious diseases morphed into the use of leeches and maggots for medical use, and as many gross Bear Grylls style survival tips as we could think of (drinking horse crap, eating maggots on a carcass, all the best stuff - even the girls joined in). I get a page out of these guys each week on the topic, instead of the page of rule recitation we'd ask for in the detention room if we stuck to the official plan...

It can be great fun for us, too. I've been given the dregs Y8 reading class this semester...the rowdiest boys and shyest girls, all with big literacy issues. They gave us these modules to work through, glossy cards with carefully thought out levels, great graphics, and a six-page step by step by lesson plan for each session..."real easy, all done for you" was the sell I got from the regular English teachers who could barely hide their joy in knowing how much easier their lives would be with me getting the worst class...!

It took me twenty minutes on day 1 to realise it would all go to shit permanently, because the kids didn't have the attention span or discipline to handle a regimented I Do We Do You Do lesson every week which did everything in the reading class except actually read...! These modules are great ideas at the time in the university thinktank world, but none of those guys ever seem to remember what happens in a real classroom...

So the last few weeks, we've read a card, stuck a few questions on the board, and chinwagged...the other day the card on infectious diseases morphed into the use of leeches and maggots for medical use, and as many gross Bear Grylls style survival tips as we could think of (drinking horse crap, eating maggots on a carcass, all the best stuff - even the girls joined in). I get a page out of these guys each week on the topic, instead of the page of rule recitation we'd ask for in the detention room if we stuck to the official plan...

And they are usually the one with all the behaviour issues. These kids can not still still, can not keep quiet for more than 2 minutes and will pick fights, insult someone and just be pains in the arse to avoid doing any work by trying to get kicked out or sent to the duty managers office.

Those students who genially have learning issues and want to learn, they are my favourite students as they give you everything and you can work with them. The students who are the pain in the arse, they give me the shits. I run homework club at my school and look forward to seeing some of them as I know we can help them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back