Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the clearly disgruntled teachers, why do you stay in it?

When you reflect, what career pathways do you wish you'd chosen instead? Do you feel like you would have had more success and have been better developed in a different pathway? Why?

Success in terms of promotions, at that appears to be a major gripe.
Better developed in terms of your capacity within your role and your capacity to lead others.

When you reflect, what career pathways do you wish you'd chosen instead? Do you feel like you would have had more success and have been better developed in a different pathway? Why?

Better developed in terms of your capacity within your role and your capacity to lead others.
I'm not disgruntled, but I'd say that the actual teaching part of teaching is awesome. The interaction with students, the making a difference all that stuff is terrific and rewarding.

It's all the peripheral stuff that the general public dont know about and education students don't know about, that people generally have an issue with.

If a person doesn't enjoy teaching I can't see a way they would possibly still be in it. Too much work with too little reward.

I'll answer this from a slightly different perspective. I'm 25, turning 26, and about to start my 2nd year of teaching. I wouldn't say I'm "disgruntled" and I don't hate it, but I don't want to do this for a long time. The workload is frustrating, the rewards (while at times can be great with certain kids) are few and far between, and the room for growth is limited. I'm basically preempting and wanting to avoid becoming the type of person you've described above in 10-15-20years time.

However I can see how people can become so called 'stuck' in teaching. In my situation, I teach VCE Business, and instead of teaching it I would like to go into the Business world someday and challenge myself a little. Very unlikely starting my own business, but something in data analysis or finance I would enjoy. For the record, before teaching I completed my undergraduate degree at Monash in Commerce majoring in HR, and minoring in Accounting.

So I sort of have that idea in my head - but how it actually develops and takes place, I'm really not sure. When it comes to actually getting a job in that industry, applying etc... I couldn't tell you where to look, where to apply, how to go about it, what my chances are etc... I'm considering discussing with my Principal this year a few options of what I can do within the school in terms of maybe data analysis type roles and positions, that might look like good experience if and when I do change careers.
As mentioned, I'm 26, and I can see me and my partner likely having (or at least trying to have a kid) within the next 5 years. So there is a bit of that 'time pressure', as I've no idea if the types of careers I've described might require potentially unpaid internships first?

Anywho, that's just one person's story and position. But I can certainly see how teacher's can get themselves into that position, and feel almost 'stuck' as to what to do.

It really depends on the staff you get...

If you get good leadership and cool co workers it can make a hell of difference.... but that is rare considering it's a female dominated industry.

Hi all,

I'm in year 11 next year and it's time I started thinking of career options.

so just recently I was thinking about becoming a Secondary School Teacher for Maths, Italian and maybe Drama or something.

Is anyone here a teacher? Is it a fun job?

What would be the pro's and cons?

What is the pay like?

I don't know whether I should become a teacher though because when I told my Maths teacher she said my grades proove I can do something a little more extravagent.

I just think it would be intruiging job thats all.

Any thoughts?
Best job going. If you are into it and enthusiastic. Pay is great for a job where you have 5 and 1/2 contact hours. Currently I have the year of paid at 80%. Deferred salary. Holidays are great even though you pay for the yourself. Once you get into the swing of things it is like auto pilot. Go for it young gun.

I wouldn't say I'm disgruntled. I love teaching and wouldn't do anything else. But I have 2 major gripes. Firstly, lack of promotion opportunities, especially as a male in a heavily female dominated field. It's more who you know or who you are than what you know. Secondly, there is a real drop in standards. It's quite frustrating teaching a grade 7 English unit of work on a set novel to a mostly illiterate class.

Last edited:

I stay in it because I love teaching the kids but as raskolnikov has mentioned, it is the lack of opportunity to move into leadership roles which are allocated. Points in case:
- A highly qualified experienced Literacy coordinator who left her previous school, was overlooked for the job for someone who has no experience as a coordinator or team leader.
- 2nd year teachers being made team leaders over teachers who have been teaching for numerous years.
- A former ICT co-ordinator was told there was no opportunity for an AP role at our school leaves and the following year a teacher at our school was made AP.

Also I've been trying to get a job at the new schools being built around where I live, but it's hard as our Prin knows the new Prin's there. I have heard from numerous ex colleagues who have left, that our Prin gives negative references for teacher's they don't want leaving. Applied for 30 positions and not a single interview.

It's not like I am desperate to leave, as I dont mind working with the colleagues I have and get on well with them. But a fresh start and chances to grow and develop as teacher is something I am eager for.

I wouldn't say I'm disgruntled. I love teaching and wouldn't do anything else. But I have 2 major gripes. Firstly, lack of promotion opportunities, especially as a male in a heavily female dominated field. It's more who you know or who you are than what you know. Secondly, there is a real drop in standards. It's quite frustrating teaching a grade English unit of work on a set novel to a mostly illiterate class.
I hear ya on standards. We are being asked to raise children and become surrogate parents.

I stay in it because I love teaching the kids but as raskolnikov has mentioned, it is the lack of opportunity to move into leadership roles which are allocated. Points in case:
- A highly qualified experienced Literacy coordinator who left her previous school, was overlooked for the job for someone who has no experience as a coordinator or team leader.
- 2nd year teachers being made team leaders over teachers who have been teaching for numerous years.
- A former ICT co-ordinator was told there was no opportunity for an AP role at our school leaves and the following year a teacher at our school was made AP.

Also I've been trying to get a job at the new schools being built around where I live, but it's hard as our Prin knows the new Prin's there. I have heard from numerous ex colleagues who have left, that our Prin gives negative references for teacher's they don't want leaving. Applied for 30 positions and not a single interview.

It's not like I am desperate to leave, as I dont mind working with the colleagues I have and get on well with them. But a fresh start and chances to grow and develop as teacher is something I am eager for.
Over here in the west we have 200 teachers going for the one metro job. I teach regional and out here the opportunities are far more accessible. However the advent of ips schools is a rort and just another americanisation of our system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two weeks in and I've never been more tired in my life. :drunk:
Every Friday I am knackered. Every holiday is much appreciated.
Find time to relax and wind down. Often you find yourself running on empty and by holidays when you do get to stop you are crushed.
It does get better. In my first year I nearly quit. I felt the responsibility of teaching and felt accountable for students progress. After three months of living breathing and shitting teaching I was over it. Then my principal gave me some salient advice. ‘You aren’t superman and can’t make every kid smart. You have to work with what you have got and help as best you can.’ Took a whole weight off of my shoulders. Once up and running you will love it.

What have teachers experiences been like with School Psychologists? I have a 4 year Psych degree and have worked in Education Outreach (re-engagement into alternative education, training and employment).

I really wouldn't want to spend my entire day sorting out behavioural nightmares, that's all I'd do right?

No. Very strongly, no.
Depends on situations, but I'd argue the complete opposite.

Why? Surely with marking hundreds of English Mock-Exam Essays on how 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' is a reflection of a colonisation completely incompatible with its new land (I assume they still study that) - might be a little more difficult than any educational curveballs thrown in Grade 3?

Why? Surely with marking hundreds of English Mock-Exam Essays on how 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' is a reflection of a colonisation completely incompatible with its new land (I assume they still study that) - might be a little more difficult than any educational curveballs thrown in Grade 3?
Thinking that the complexity of a task you have to mark mirrors the stress involved is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.

I think you need to spend some time in schools, because - No offense intended - it seems as though you don't quite understand what the roles entail. It really does depend on circumstances though.

Just last year 3 staff from my school left midyear on stress leave. That's 3 of 20 teaching staff.
One left to teach in the NT.
One has taken a year off.
One left teaching altogether.
This is an North Eastern Suburbs school.

Correcting and marking work would be one of the least stressful aspects of teaching.

In my final year of primary teaching degree. I'm still far from confident, I really don't know if I can do it. Is that bad, or is that natural? Shouldn't I know and have more confidence by now? First two placements were great however my last one knocked my confidence a bit, the school/year level and mentor were a struggle.

I have doubts about my knowledge of the curriculum, dealing with difficult behaviour, adapting lessons to fit the needs to varying students, and interacting with parents. Yeah, quite an extensive list.

Basically, is it just me or do/did others have the same doubts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back