Remove this Banner Ad

Pie_fan92

Senior List
Oct 24, 2009
Vic Park
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hello fellow magpie supporters!

I am thinking of moving to Melbourne for a change of scenery (and watch the mighty pies live a bit more) but I was wondering where do I start? Is it hard to find a job? What are some key points of information that I should know before I move?

Any information would be great guys!

Cheers!

I hope you have experience in the workforce because otherwise Melbourne is just about the worst place to be looking for a job right now :(

Other than that it's a fantastic place :D

Oh, and the ticket inspectors (if you plan to take public transport) will f&@k you over at every opportunity so don't give them a reason to. Ever.

Currently live in Darwin (vic park was just something i picked when i first started my account) and there's plenty of work. But thinking of a change, have been to Melbourne a few times and absolutely love it down there. I am currently a bar tender although I have done landscape/gardening for a few years. I am only 22. I don't think i would live in Melbourne permanently but it's definitely something I would like to do for 12 months at least.

I have heard from a few people that it is very hard to land a job on the east coast and that it is who you know and not what you know. A mate of mine, who is a qualified plumber, moved to the sunshine coast and couldn't find work for over a month. But another mate, who moved to Brisbane had no troubles at all finding a job, albeit it was just a casual one.

I hope you have experience in the workforce because otherwise Melbourne is just about the worst place to be looking for a job right now :(

Other than that it's a fantastic place :D

Oh, and the ticket inspectors (if you plan to take public transport) will f&@k you over at every opportunity so don't give them a reason to. Ever.

Hahaha I nearly got nabbed by those bastards up in Brisbane when I was living there. Not very nice people and I've heard from a few sources that they are campaigners of the highest order.

Oh and try get somewhere on a train line that goes to either Jolimont or Richmond for a super easy way to the footy :D

The important things in life have to come first y'know.

Also if you are near a Train you could go to most VFL Games as well.

Close to Public Transport would be a big help

Currently live in Darwin (vic park was just something i picked when i first started my account) and there's plenty of work. But thinking of a change, have been to Melbourne a few times and absolutely love it down there. I am currently a bar tender although I have done landscape/gardening for a few years. I am only 22. I don't think i would live in Melbourne permanently but it's definitely something I would like to do for 12 months at least.

I have heard from a few people that it is very hard to land a job on the east coast and that it is who you know and not what you know. A mate of mine, who is a qualified plumber, moved to the sunshine coast and couldn't find work for over a month. But another mate, who moved to Brisbane had no troubles at all finding a job, albeit it was just a casual one.
Big move from Darwin - Completely different lifestyle and I'll admit I found it hard after living in NT for 12 years. Darwin is changing as you know though. I have the added luxury of still working for a Darwin based business so find myself back in the TopEnd every 3rd week.

I certainly don't miss the build up or wet season though, something like 90mm rain Tuesday night was it....Miss the storms, just not the humidity.

Being down South though you do realise how much you miss by living in NT with footy, concerts and all that stuff. Good luck with the move mate.

Where were you bartending in Darwin? I'm a regular at Precinct and The Cav Hotel and know the guys (Aidee and Ditcha) who run Globies so spend a bit of time in there.

All the best Pie_fan92

Last edited:
Big move from Darwin - Completely different lifestyle and I'll admit I found it hard after living in NT for 12 years. Darwin is changing as you know though. I have the added luxury of still working for a Darwin based business so find myself back in the TopEnd every 3rd week.

I certainly don't miss the build up or wet season though, something like 90mm rain Tuesday night was it....Miss the storms, just not the humidity.

Being down South though you do realise how much you miss by living in NT with footy, concerts and all that stuff. Good luck with the move mate.

Where were you bartending in Darwin? I'm a regular at Precinct and The Cav Hotel and know the guys (Aidee and Ditcha) who run Globies so spend a bit of time in there.

All the best Pie_fan92

Yeah I lived in Brisbane for a few years and loved it there but there's just something about Melbourne that I love about it.
Currently in the build up now and it is crucifying me at the moment haha. But the rain is a welcome sight, cooling it down and greening the place up a bit.

I just finished up at the cas club but am now laboring for a mate, haven't been to the precinct but have knocked back more than my fair share of schooners at the Cav!

What was the hardest part of moving? and what made you leave the territory?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I lived in Brisbane for a few years and loved it there but there's just something about Melbourne that I love about it.
Currently in the build up now and it is crucifying me at the moment haha. But the rain is a welcome sight, cooling it down and greening the place up a bit.

I just finished up at the cas club but am now laboring for a mate, haven't been to the precinct but have knocked back more than my fair share of schooners at the Cav!

What was the hardest part of moving? and what made you leave the territory?
For me it was family and I'm probably a bit older. I moved to the NT in 1997, to Katherine and spent a few years there before moving to Darwin. I was big into fishing and boating, I still have a house at Dundee Beach which I lease to Halkitis who owns the lodge there. Just every weekend serious fishing and drinking or football and drinking but then met a woman and the rest is history. We both loved the NT and in hindsight would have either stayed or gone to Melbourne ourselves.

For me work was easy as my boss asked me to stay with the company and work from Canberra more like FIFO. I miss friends. Here in Canberra/NSW I really only was good mates with my wifes best friends partner and luckily we are great mates because not sure I would've lasted otherwise. NT is a much more social atmosphere with continual long days and good weather. Here it's dark at 5pm - 5:30pm in winter which really paints a glum atmosphere. In NT we would go to markets, have a couple of late beers after work, knock off early on Friday it just was a good life but finding that down South was and still is hard for me. Make sure you have good friends or can establish a network of good friends easily. Live close to them IMO so you can just duck up the road and have a chat, feed and bbq/beer. Like others say, live on direct public transport routes. Trains! I go to Sandringham where my wifes family is, great part of Melbourne and I find it easy to get to the G and Etihad no worries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking of moving to Melbourne, need help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back