This is Grant's last year

Remove this Banner Ad

C.E.Lovett

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2004
Just an observation.

Every week now Grant is feeling the knocks.

Getting some sort of injury. His body isn't taking the knocks or healing well. He is heavy and will have sore muscles and bones.

I reckon that unless he can find some form as a permanent full-forward pretty soon, so that he can play there, this will be his last year.

What the hell is this thread?

He's also playing his best football of the last 3 - 4 years. This will not be Grants last year.

As for feeling the knocks, go get whacked in the jaw and tell me if you don't feel it.

ErnieSigley said:
And would you want to continue playing each week for year after year?

Read CE's first line. "Just an observation"

I did.

I also read the title of the thread.

I also read the line that said he was "feeling the knocks"

Then i disagreed.

Red House said:
I did.

I also read the title of the thread.

I also read the line that said he was "feeling the knocks"

Then i disagreed.

did you also read the line "His body isn't taking the knocks or healing well. He is heavy and will have sore muscles and bones."?

Im not convinced he will reture but the man is "old" for a footballer and he has hinted that this would be his last year.

We as fans usually have unrealistic expectations of our players and if Grant decides to retire it shouldnt really surprise us.

Borgsta said:
did you also read the line "His body isn't taking the knocks or healing well. He is heavy and will have sore muscles and bones."?

Im not convinced he will reture but the man is "old" for a footballer and he has hinted that this would be his last year.

We as fans usually have unrealistic expectations of our players and if Grant decides to retire it shouldnt really surprise us.

His form is awesome at the moment though??

For a guy who's body isn't taking knocks or healing well, he's only missed one game (which was off a 4 day break, and it means very little, because you rest players with the niggle he had, regardless of age).

I think this thread is very premature and a touch misguided.

Some reports are saying that he has a hair line fracture. That's no slight knock.

Out of interest, are you only presuming he has sore bones and body, or do you know for a fact? What i mean is, he's playing very well at the moment, so maybe the body's not giving him as much trouble as everyone seems to think.

I think the knocks he's getting are such that even a fit young man would feel them.

As for retirement, I'm very 50/50. I think his body wouldnt be upset if he gave it away at the end of the year, but its obvious that he doesnt WANT to retire.

Lets hope he can get another year or so out of his body, but his health and well-being has to come first.

Stat......

Chris Grant is taken from the ground mid way through the first quarter......

Essendon kick 5 unanswered goals to setup a match winning lead.............

Anyone seriously think we can do without Chris Grant next year?

Form is going to be the issue with Chris GRant, and his form is great, his heart is massive and a couple of knocks will not determine if he goes on......

Those who think he will not go on are underestimating the GREAT MAN.

Chris Grant is the WESTERN BULLDOGS footy club. He is a once in a generation player and will not turn his back on the footy club just because of a few knocks.....

How dare you people suggest such a thing.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borgsta said:
Its not us that has suggested it and nobody is calling for it. Grant has said a few times that this will probably be his last season.

I have heard him speak of next season on a few occasions and never have I heard him say that this year will be his last.....

He has always said that he will assess it based on form and his contribution to the team and footy club.

Based on those two criteria he would have to go on!

If the remainder of our year trails off and he doesn't think we are going anywhere he may give it away. If we look like we are on the cusp of success he may go another year. Also depends on how his body and form continue are at season's end.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
Stat......

Chris Grant is taken from the ground mid way through the first quarter......

Essendon kick 5 unanswered goals to setup a match winning lead.............

Anyone seriously think we can do without Chris Grant next year?

Form is going to be the issue with Chris GRant, and his form is great, his heart is massive and a couple of knocks will not determine if he goes on......

Those who think he will not go on are underestimating the GREAT MAN.

Chris Grant is the WESTERN BULLDOGS footy club. He is a once in a generation player and will not turn his back on the footy club just because of a few knocks.....

How dare you people suggest such a thing.......

Add to that stat the impact Grant's injury had against the Swans.....no secret that the ball got to O'Loughlan a whole lot easier once Granty wasn't around.

I think that some people are mixing up Grant's courage, skill, great play and the fact that we need him with the observation that he appears to suffer more than other players from heavy knocks. (these are probably younger guys who don't know a lot about old bones).

I'm not just talking about this week. Look at previous weeks when he has been limping about. The body heals more slowly the older you get. Also Grant is heavy and when he moves he has a lot of momentum that will stretch and strain those ligaments.

I recall the day when he suffered the leg injury. He had a hard knock a few minutes beforehand but he stayed on the ground. He should have come off the ground - but we needed him. I have little doubt that the first knock contributed to the leg injury that put him out of business for a year.

C.E.Lovett said:
I recall the day when he suffered the leg injury. He had a hard knock a few minutes beforehand but he stayed on the ground. He should have come off the ground - but we needed him. I have little doubt that the first knock contributed to the leg injury that put him out of business for a year.

I'm no doctor, but i would suggest a previous knock had very little to do with how his knee buckled under him as it went the wrong way.

That of course is my opinion.

C.E.Lovett said:
I think that some people are mixing up Grant's courage, skill, great play and the fact that we need him with the observation that he appears to suffer more than other players from heavy knocks. (these are probably younger guys who don't know a lot about old bones).

I think your view is subjective. In a 305 game career he is bound to have had some knocks.....I think (again my subjective view) is that he will go on and these knocks are no big impact him in making that decision!

C.E.Lovett said:

I'm not just talking about this week. Look at previous weeks when he has been limping about. The body heals more slowly the older you get. Also Grant is heavy and when he moves he has a lot of momentum that will stretch and strain those ligaments.

I also believe that this will be Grant's last year, as much as we need him, unless we can get use out of him at Full Forward.

I'll be devastated to see him go, but I think he will.

Rookie said:
I also believe that this will be Grant's last year, as much as we need him, unless we can get use out of him at Full Forward.

I'll be devastated to see him go, but I think he will.

Even if it meant hurt the ability of the backline, it would be great to see Grant last another year out of FF or one of the pockets. A two pronged FF of Darcy and Grant would be stupidly awesome.

I would also like to see Grant break the record for the highest number of games for the Bulldogs.
Hawkins nicked off to Fitzroy, whereas Chris has stuck fast and is an absolute legend.
The Club owes him the chance to break this record.
If he is fit enough then there has to be a spot for him in our side for at least one more year.
He is still easily in our top 10.

Libba_39 said:
I would also like to see Grant break the record for the highest number of games for the Bulldogs.
Hawkins nicked off to Fitzroy, whereas Chris has stuck fast and is an absolute legend.
The Club owes him the chance to break this record.
If he is fit enough then there has to be a spot for him in our side for at least one more year.
He is still easily in our top 10.
libba hawks was sacked and wouldnt get a game at the dogs he did not leave because he wanted to you fool

Hawkins had broken the record and played,I think 229 games for us, and then went to an opposition team which played against us, a team which tried to take us over in 1989.
Hawkins had a pretty good run and did not do the right thing by the team at the end.
Chris Grant would be a better holder of the record.
I think you are the fool.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is Grant's last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back