WSYD "This is showing the AFL we've got some cannons of our own to blow them away"

Remove this Banner Ad

what's that supposed to mean?, even if that's true it doesnt matter where the advertising comes from, it's what people in any given area watch, and for over 50% of the populatiion isnt league.

it means 60% of the media money out of Australia comes through Sydney...

the determination of how advertising happens is done out of Sydney..

therefore the significance of Sydney as a market. is a lot higher than anywhere else in Australia.

therefore the significance of Sydney as a market. is a lot higher than anywhere else in Australia.

Roy masters wrote an article in november last year that indicates that in sydney markets, the AFL beats the NRL when it comes to advertising revenue by 15 million a year (115 to 100 million). This figure includes regionals and paytv. Interestingly enough, the Paytv figures are identical at 15 million each, given the NRL has more content than the AFL does on paytv.

Roy masters wrote an article in november last year that indicates that in sydney markets, the AFL beats the NRL when it comes to advertising revenue by 15 million a year (115 to 100 million). This figure includes regionals and paytv. Interestingly enough, the Paytv figures are identical at 15 million each, given the NRL has more content than the AFL does on paytv.

That's pretty sad for the NRL in it's own 'heartland' market to get lesser advertising revenue than AFL. Consindering the NRL would obviously rate higher than the AFL.

That's an argument for why the networks are based in Sydney, not of Sydney as a market.

Sydney would be a massive market if 60% of the nation's advertising was being beamed INTO it, not coming OUT of it. All you've done is show us where the ads are placed.

It's important to remember that Aussie rules v rugby league is not a zero sum game, and the success of one doesn't necessarily come at the expense of the other.
Nothing that the AFL does will prevent the NRL from playing, or will disrupt the NRL in any way. Similarly, nothing the NRL does will prevent or disrupt the AFL season.

Whether GWS or Gold Coast succeed or fail will happen independently of what the NRL does.
Our game's sponsors, our game's members, our game's supporters, our game's TV rights - that's what's important. If our league and our 18 clubs are strong, viable and growing, then whether rugby league is thriving or floundering isn't relevant.

There isn't going to a mass defection from rugby league to AFL. The number of people who will abandon rugby league because GWS are coming into being is negligible. What is far more likely is that people who currently follow rugby league will take on a second code as well.

I live in Old Toongabbie, in north-western Sydney - and I'm optimistic about the Giant's chances of success. We've got the foundations of a well-run club, some very switched-on people running the show. Corporate support is good, and we're selling a reasonable number of memberships.
But most importantly, we've got a sensational product. Aussie rules is a wonderful game. The pace, the skills, the kicks, the marks, the bumps - it's great stuff.
But we're only going to piss people off - our potential supporters - with talk of rugby league being an inferior bogan sport, or that our game will inevitably force rugby league into oblivion.

Why was the soccer World Cup bid so unpopular with AFL fans? Two reasons. Firstly, the World Cup would have materially disrupted the AFL season. And secondly, the soccer fan base were such arrogant pricks.
Our game won't disrupt rugby league at all. And if AFL people conduct themselves with a reasonable degree of humility - talking up our own game rather than talking down theirs - then there will be no reason for rugby league people to have anything against us. Instead, they will be supporting us and supporting our game.

There isn't going to a mass defection from rugby league to AFL. The number of people who will abandon rugby league because GWS are coming into being is negligible. What is far more likely is that people who currently follow rugby league will take on a second code as well.

But we're only going to piss people off - our potential supporters - with talk of rugby league being an inferior bogan sport, or that our game will inevitably force rugby league into oblivion.

Our game won't disrupt rugby league at all. And if AFL people conduct themselves with a reasonable degree of humility - talking up our own game rather than talking down theirs - then there will be no reason for rugby league people to have anything against us. Instead, they will be supporting us and supporting our game.

I love you thinking Giants there will be people out there will be willing to take GWS under there wing along there NRL team it goes both ways instead of talking down each other sports talk up our own games then conflict will be limited. I may be a leaguie but I'm slowly appreciating AFL here in QLD. I'm sure there be those of the Gold Coast who would support the Titans & Suns. Most importantly, the two are not mutually exclusive people can support both and be better off for it, the more variety the better and better chance of having successful teams.

It's important to remember that Aussie rules v rugby league is not a zero sum game, and the success of one doesn't necessarily come at the expense of the other.
Nothing that the AFL does will prevent the NRL from playing, or will disrupt the NRL in any way. Similarly, nothing the NRL does will prevent or disrupt the AFL season.

Whether GWS or Gold Coast succeed or fail will happen independently of what the NRL does.
Our game's sponsors, our game's members, our game's supporters, our game's TV rights - that's what's important. If our league and our 18 clubs are strong, viable and growing, then whether rugby league is thriving or floundering isn't relevant.

I live in Old Toongabbie, in north-western Sydney - and I'm optimistic about the Giant's chances of success. We've got the foundations of a well-run club, some very switched-on people running the show. Corporate support is good, and we're selling a reasonable number of memberships.
But most importantly, we've got a sensational product. Aussie rules is a wonderful game. The pace, the skills, the kicks, the marks, the bumps - it's great stuff.

Why was the soccer World Cup bid so unpopular with AFL fans? Two reasons. Firstly, the World Cup would have materially disrupted the AFL season. And secondly, the soccer fan base were such arrogant pricks.

Really well said mate. As a Queenslander, who sees just how popular RL is in this state, I agree that we should talk our game up at every opportunity, but not talk down RL.

For what it's worth I really like RL and RU, and don't get all the hatred.

It's interesting, I hate it when soccer fans tell me ,my game is crap and they are taking over, it's just a matter of time. I then come on to BF and see Aussie rules fans doing exactly the same thing to RL fans.

It's counterproductive folks.

Forget the rest of Australia.

60% of the total advertising in Australia comes out of Sydney.

Therefore the Sydney heartland is the most important place for money in Australia.

Locationwise, The NRL have a real monetary head start, IF..

they ever get their act together.
actually i think the statistic you are misquoting is that 60% of the advertising dollar from the entire country comes out of NSW and Qld

but considering that is covering 55% of the population, thats hardly surprising. all it means is that an advert during a game that rates 200k in sydney is a few percent more valuable than one that rates 200k in adelaide

but this factor is dwarfed by the fact that AFL has twice as many adverts per game

I love you thinking Giants there will be people out there will be willing to take GWS under there wing along there NRL team it goes both ways instead of talking down each other sports talk up our own games then conflict will be limited. I may be a leaguie but I'm slowly appreciating AFL here in QLD. I'm sure there be those of the Gold Coast who would support the Titans & Suns. Most importantly, the two are not mutually exclusive people can support both and be better off for it, the more variety the better and better chance of having successful teams.

I completely agree AllSport. I think much of the wartalk has originated from the NRL and particularly from News Limited. The Sydney media has driven much of the fear mongering against the AFL expansion into their heartlands and they are frightened of people doing exactly what you are calling for - duel support. The problem with shared support though (of which I have for Storm and Victory btw) is that sometimes you have to choose where to invest your finite time and finances. If it gets to a point where you are enjoying your new AFL team over your traditional love of your NRL team, and this happens on mass, then this is why the fear mongering has been generated.

In Melbourne no such fear occurs. When the Storm, Victory and now the Rebels came in, the local media or even the AFL themselves, have not even raised an eyebrow.

My greatest hope is that when News Limited is no longer backing NRL so heavily, that the AFL get a fairer and less biased coverage by the media empire. I know in Queensland League remains the number one sport and is covered by the papers as such but AFL also receives much more attention now days. There is also not the same biased fear in the state with the introduction of Gold Coast in comparison in the frenzy GWS has cased in the harbor city. I think this speaks volumes of the culture of both states and in particular the monopoly NRL has over the media, and thus common sports fan, in Sydney.

I believe the NRL are extremely fearful of the AFL reducing their support base and therefore political and financial clout in our country and it is they who have created this media driven war of words between the codes.

While every supporter base has element of biased stupidity, I think much of the AFL supporters assertions are based on pride while many NRL supporters arguments have changed to anger, hate and fear.

I hope this changes but while this fear remains and is continually fueled by the Sydney media it will only esculate.

FT

More media the better. Another free kick for the AFL :thumbsu:

I've always thought that too but I'm starting to wonder...

I think the more exposure the better for someone who is not an avid NRL fan but if we are trying to get NRL fans to take up the AFL and Giants as a second code/team then I think all this biased fear mongering is only pushing them further away.

Really well said mate. As a Queenslander, who sees just how popular RL is in this state, I agree that we should talk our game up at every opportunity, but not talk down RL.

For what it's worth I really like RL and RU, and don't get all the hatred.

It's interesting, I hate it when soccer fans tell me ,my game is crap and they are taking over, it's just a matter of time. I then come on to BF and see Aussie rules fans doing exactly the same thing to RL fans.

It's counterproductive folks.

The amount of league bashing that goes on here is about 0.0001% of the AFL bashing that happens on LU.

just read the surprisingly "very small" match fixing thread on LU, they've already started bashing the AFL over it believe it or not, one poster quoting he'd seen similar "questionable plays" in AFL games, i mean **** me, some of these guys actualy hate the AFL more than they love league IMO, It's almost like every member to that site has a quota for saying the word "victard" "merkin" "GAYFL", seams like every second post in every thread has one of these words in it, truly pathetic.

Still talking about RL, I'm smelling the fear. The problem with some AFL fans is they cannot handle anyone criticising the game. 'Our game is the best wa wa wa.' Its the major code in a few states of the country at the bottom of the earth. As much as I love the game, the supporter base is very insecure about its standing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still talking about RL, I'm smelling the fear. The problem with some AFL fans is they cannot handle anyone criticising the game. 'Our game is the best wa wa wa.' Its the major code in a few states of the country at the bottom of the earth. As much as I love the game, the supporter base is very insecure about its standing.

no one's criticising their game mate, we're criticising the people who follow it.

That's bull. most of us are very content with where our game is at. Who's critising the game anyway? what we don't like is the NRL media turning our attemps into expansion as an us vs them. now that's real fear

That's bull. most of us are very content with where our game is at. Who's critising the game anyway? what we don't like is the NRL media turning our attemps into expansion as an us vs them. now that's real fear

I follow both codes and I don't even read the NRL media. In fact I don't read much of the AFL media either. Why are AFL fans so concerned about the goings on in RL? Is it fear? Is it insecurity? Speaking form a Victorian view point my experience it is a bit of both. "How can anyone not see that aussie rules is better"

Many AFL fans don't handle criticism of their game. It's an obsession.

head over to LU mate and read the TV rights thread, you'll see the true meaning of fear.

most of the guys in that thread would happily take $2 for their TV rights deal if it meant the AFL were only getting $1.

head over to LU mate and read the TV rights thread, you'll see the true meaning of fear.

most of the guys in that thread would happily take $2 for their TV rights deal if it meant the AFL were only getting $1.

Why do I want to read LU?. I tried for a while in SOO time but it was no different to here. They are neanderthals. There are enough of those on BF to fill my quota. The problem is that some AFL fans think they are superior but here we are talking about the NRL on the main board of an Australian Rules forum.

Why do I want to read LU?. I tried for a while in SOO time but it was no different to here. They are neanderthals. There are enough of those on BF to fill my quota. The problem is that some AFL fans think they are superior but here we are talking about the NRL on the main board of an Australian Rules forum.

We are superiour, name one area in which we aren't.

Thats because his daddy told him "that game they play down south's for sissys boy".

Very true in my experience.

On a train the other day going past Blacktown Olympic Park, where they have a big sign up on the fence next to the railway line promoting the Giants (which is a good initiative given the number of people who would see it daily).

A young boy was with what I presume was his grandfather, and the boy said "Wow, the Giants, can we join?" which prompted the grandfather to go on an expletive filled rant with the predictable cliches about Australian Football thrown in.

Notwithstanding the fact that it was a disgraceful exhibition in front of a young child who was simply expressing an interest, this is the mentality we're dealing with unfortunately.

This is why they're on the right track in trying to connect with the migrant communities who don't have the same ingrained attitudes.

I completely agree AllSport. I think much of the wartalk has originated from the NRL and particularly from News Limited. The Sydney media has driven much of the fear mongering against the AFL expansion into their heartlands and they are frightened of people doing exactly what you are calling for - duel support. The problem with shared support though (of which I have for Storm and Victory btw) is that sometimes you have to choose where to invest your finite time and finances. If it gets to a point where you are enjoying your new AFL team over your traditional love of your NRL team, and this happens on mass, then this is why the fear mongering has been generated.

In Melbourne no such fear occurs. When the Storm, Victory and now the Rebels came in, the local media or even the AFL themselves, have not even raised an eyebrow.

My greatest hope is that when News Limited is no longer backing NRL so heavily, that the AFL get a fairer and less biased coverage by the media empire. I know in Queensland League remains the number one sport and is covered by the papers as such but AFL also receives much more attention now days. There is also not the same biased fear in the state with the introduction of Gold Coast in comparison in the frenzy GWS has cased in the harbor city. I think this speaks volumes of the culture of both states and in particular the monopoly NRL has over the media, and thus common sports fan, in Sydney.

I believe the NRL are extremely fearful of the AFL reducing their support base and therefore political and financial clout in our country and it is they who have created this media driven war of words between the codes.

While every supporter base has element of biased stupidity, I think much of the AFL supporters assertions are based on pride while many NRL supporters arguments have changed to anger, hate and fear.

I hope this changes but while this fear remains and is continually fueled by the Sydney media it will only esculate".

Now that is the truth of the matter Great post.You have to remember that Sydney people are told constantly that their city is the centre of the universe and most believe it.So anything that originates from somewhere else is rubbish wether it be sport,arts,fashion etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD "This is showing the AFL we've got some cannons of our own to blow them away"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back