This is why Collingwood get blockbuster games......

Remove this Banner Ad

hawthorn vs west coast attendance: 29,138

Fair point, hopefully that game was an allonomy. FWIW, MCC predicted 33000 for the game and fell 4000 short.

AFL Football Round 15 - Hawthorn v Sydney

http://www.mcc.org.au/Events at the...aspx?eid=1c935969-77f3-4d41-b4ad-d7dab6cda4f5

Event: AFL Football Round 15
Teams: Hawthorn v Sydney
Date: Sunday July 13
Start time: 1.10pm

Gate opening times
- Public/AFL members: 11.30am
- MCC members: 11.00am

Car Park opening: Gate 3 – 6.00am
Gate 5 – 9.00am
Gate 6 – 10.00am
Gate 7 – 8.00am (Passes only)

TAB opening time: 11.30am

Crowd estimate: 55,000

Accept it Hawkk or prove otherwise. Hawthorn simply do not figure in the fixtures that averagfe upwards of and over 60,000 which is whre all the Big 4 clashes are over an extended period of time.

When was the last time 2 'minnow' clubs sold out the MCG for a home and away game?

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Featured Events and Announcements.aspx

Tickets selling fast for Hawks-Cats blockbuster
Published: Friday July 4, 2008

It is highly likely that tickets to the Hawthorn v Geelong match at the MCG on Friday July 25 will sell out in advance of the match.

Patrons wishing to attend are advised to pre-purchased a reserved seat in order to gain entry to the public areas of the stadium.

Tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster (website, phone 1300 136 122 or at outlets).

View ticket prices and a seating plan for this match.

Not bad for 2 supposed non 'blockbuster' clubs

Sorry Richmond are not is the Big 4! the big 4 are;- West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood and Essendon!

If Carlton start becomming are power onfield they will be part of the big 5!

Richmonds supporter base and membership bases are noway near these 5 clubs!

Richmond is a midsized club Like Geelong, Hawthorn and St.kilda who have a supporterbase of 300,000-400,000 australia wide.

Typical comment from an ignorant and most probably uneducated Collingwood supporter. Richmond a mid-sized club?, i think your brain is mid-sized at best. Richmond, as has beeen earlier stated, were the first club to ever pull more than 1 million people through the gates in one season and have subsequently done so a further 5 times inculding years when we have not even been involved in finals. Carlton have only ever achieved this 3 times, in 2 premiership seasons and once when runners up. So perhaps we should be considered for the big'5' as you suggest before Carlton who we have statistically beaten for attendances time and time again. As for composite clubs of West Coast and Adelaide who essentially represent states rather than suburbs....., well good luck to them

This is all rubbish, yes collingwood gets big numbers, isn't that reason enough for them NOT to have games on 'boutique' days!??

If they're so good then why don't they play other days and let others at least share 'blockbuster' games.

The last time St.Kilda played on Queens Birthday (about 10 years ago) against Richmond at Waverley, we got approx 80,000 people. I guarantee we could do that every year, however, we're never given the chance.

The whole fixture, nee AFL, is compromised.

It's a no brainer, unfortunately for the football loving public , Collingwood has a massive following and growing by the day , a huge amount of nuffies, because of the incredible amount of these misfits it will grow accordingly attracting more of the same.
The AFL want the $$$$ plain and simple and will get it despite what the fans really want. If the AFL organised a cow pack throwing comp they would initially invite the the Collingwood hoards (even though they are possibly in the lower wage brackets)...it's all about the money:(.

PS If anyone detected any generalization it was intended.

Goofy?

Easy.

Using the Bulldogs as a case in point - because they're the only club that has played at home against all these sides and West Coast in reasonable timeslots

Round 5
WB vs. WCE - 29,947 (SATN)

Compared to;

Round 4
WB vs. Rich - 37,767 (SUN)
Round 5
HAW vs. Rich - 46,064 (SUN) (+8297)

Round 2
Melb vs. WB - 27,821 (WET SAT)
Round 1
Haw vs. Melb - 40,140 (SUN) (+12,819)
Round 9
Melb vs. Haw - 41,395 (WET SUN) (+13,574)

Round 9
WB vs. NM - 34,971 (SUN)
Round 3
NM vs. Haw - 39,816 (SAT) (+4,814)

On top of that, the Hawthorn-West Coast game is a Friday Night game

:thumbsu:

Hawkk, your team isnot one of the big drawing clubs, stop trying to convince every one. The examples you use comparing to the Bulldogs is a joke. You can't compare games played at the MCG against those played at Telstra Dome.

It's a no brainer, unfortunately for the football loving public , Collingwood has a massive following and growing by the day , a huge amount of nuffies, because of the incredible amount of these misfits it will grow accordingly attracting more of the same.
The AFL want the $$$$ plain and simple and will get it despite what the fans really want. If the AFL organised a cow pack throwing comp they would initially invite the the Collingwood hoards (even though they are possibly in the lower wage brackets)...it's all about the money:(.

PS If anyone detected any generalization it was intended.

Yep, the more blockbusters they get, the bigger they get and there is no way for other clubs to have any exposure and pull in crowds.

Yep, the more blockbusters they get, the bigger they get and there is no way for other clubs to have any exposure and pull in crowds.

yep, it's all so simple.

but, hang on a minute didn't the hawks play in about ten grand finals from the early 80s to the 90s ? and didn't hawthorn go within a whisker of disappearing a few years later ? do GFs count as blockbusters ? does 10 GFs count as exposure ? didn't seem to help.

then there's north who played in about 5 GFs in the 90s and dominated friday night games for years. blockbusters ? exposure ? they're still stuffed.

yes, the draw is compromised in many ways but the chorus coming from north/demons/footscray supporters claiming that they are the poor little victims of the afl, the draw, telstra dome and big bad collingwood has now become more than tedious. you're fighting for survival - good luck to you but take responsibility for your own situation. sooking and trying to blame others won't cut it.

Typical comment from an ignorant and most probably uneducated Collingwood supporter. Richmond a mid-sized club?, i think your brain is mid-sized at best. Richmond, as has beeen earlier stated, were the first club to ever pull more than 1 million people through the gates in one season and have subsequently done so a further 5 times inculding years when we have not even been involved in finals. Carlton have only ever achieved this 3 times, in 2 premiership seasons and once when runners up. So perhaps we should be considered for the big'5' as you suggest before Carlton who we have statistically beaten for attendances time and time again. As for composite clubs of West Coast and Adelaide who essentially represent states rather than suburbs....., well good luck to them

Its not a fair arguement, Richmond always played their homes games at the MCG (capacity 95k to 100k) while Carlton were playing theirs at Princess Park (capacity 30k to 35K).

Its not a fair arguement, Richmond always played their homes games at the MCG (capacity 95k to 100k) while Carlton were playing theirs at Princess Park (capacity 30k to 35K).[/quote

This can be argued for the 70's and perhaps into the mid 80's. However, many large drawing games were fixtured at V.F.L park and from the late 80's onwards many were also moved to the MCG. Princes Park could also sustain average crowds that would easily allow for the million mark to be broken, Collingwood did it playing from Vic park in '77 and numerous times thereafter. Carlton's biggest ever home and away attendance total is 883,040 in '95 (a premiership year), during a period when all big games were played at either the MCG or Waverly. This is compared to Richmond's largest ever home and away attendance total of 1,023,821 in '98, a year when they did not even make the finals.

Its not a fair arguement, Richmond always played their homes games at the MCG (capacity 95k to 100k) while Carlton were playing theirs at Princess Park (capacity 30k to 35K).[/quote

This can be argued for the 70's and perhaps into the mid 80's. However, many large drawing games were fixtured at V.F.L park and from the late 80's onwards many were also moved to the MCG. Princes Park could also sustain average crowds that would easily allow for the million mark to be broken, Collingwood did it playing from Vic park in '77 and numerous times thereafter. Carlton's biggest ever home and away attendance total is 883,040 in '95 (a premiership year), during a period when all big games were played at either the MCG or Waverly. This is compared to Richmond's largest ever home and away attendance total of 1,023,821 in '98, a year when they did not even make the finals.

you fool.

for example in 95 we played Geelong and North at Princes Park with a limited capacity. In 96 we played them both Friday night at the G and got about 70k to each game.

so in conclusion you are right, playing at Optus had no effect on our crowds, we are a disgrace. you are a very intelligent and well informed football follower :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know that Collingwood are currently the most popular club.
It used to be Essendon (93 - 01). Richmond before that (70s).

But popularity is not a measure of quality.

Maroon 5 are a very popular band (well, actually they are fading, like the Pies will).
The biggest used to be Bon Jovi. Bay City Rollers before that.

Times change.

Nothing wrong with being a mid sized act (Foo Fighters).

Bigger does not mean better.

I agree that the big 4 playing at the bigger venues = higher attendances, and after awhile it does, to a certain extent become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And we can talk about how the Vic clubs like to play Collingwood (and probably Essendon) at the MCG for their home games to maximise revenues.

Go and see what the attendances are when the likes of Melbourne, Doggies, North, etc. play an interstate side in Victoria. Then go and see how many turn up when the same interstate side plays Collingwood in Victoria. For even better stats use the last 10 years or so as an average, that way we are not only looking at years where one Victorian team is up and flying and thus skewing the figures.

I am certain that Collingwood will average FAR MORE than these clubs not just getting the big numbers for "blockbusters". Get your crowd numbers up for these games then come talk to us.

I agree that the big 4 playing at the bigger venues = higher attendances, and after awhile it does, to a certain extent become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And we can talk about how the Vic clubs like to play Collingwood (and probably Essendon) at the MCG for their home games to maximise revenues.

Go and see what the attendances are when the likes of Melbourne, Doggies, North, etc. play an interstate side in Victoria. Then go and see how many turn up when the same interstate side plays Collingwood in Victoria. For even better stats use the last 10 years or so as an average, that way we are not only looking at years where one Victorian team is up and flying and thus skewing the figures.

I am certain that Collingwood will average FAR MORE than these clubs not just getting the big numbers for "blockbusters". Get your crowd numbers up for these games then come talk to us.
lol, the arrogance displayed by one small speck of the huge mass they sometimes call the Magpie Army, yep you share your club with a huge amount of (feral)supporters but unfortunately for the rest of the football loving public money rules the roost and by that measure your feral mob gets preference, poor form by the AFL.

Any other collingwood fans sick of getting bitched and whined at CONSTANTLY because we happen to support our club?

Hilarious really!

To all those teams supporters that want to bitch and moan about Collingwood why do you all turn up every year to the Collingwood game yet if your playing Freo or Melbourne alot leass of you turn up???

If you changed this process you would stop turning us into the Blockbuster kings you hate us for and whinge about constantly... got news for you - ITS YOUR FAULT!

lol, the arrogance displayed by one small speck of the huge mass they sometimes call the Magpie Army, yep you share your club with a huge amount of (feral)supporters but unfortunately for the rest of the football loving public money rules the roost and by that measure your feral mob gets preference, poor form by the AFL.

We get big games because we aint bandwagon supporters and constantly support our team.

The feral and uneducated tag gets old. Eddie McGuire has been a life-long Collingwood supporter and I guarentee what he's doing is a lot better than what you're doing so I'd advise you to think things through before posting generalisation rubbish.

Hilarious really!

To all those teams supporters that want to bitch and moan about Collingwood why do you all turn up every year to the Collingwood game yet if your playing Freo or Melbourne alot leass of you turn up???

If you changed this process you would stop turning us into the Blockbuster kings you hate us for and whinge about constantly... got news for you - ITS YOUR FAULT!
I think this highlights what I am talking about when I bag Collingwood supporters, can anyone else see how stupid that comment was?

We get big games because we aint bandwagon supporters and constantly support our team.

The feral and uneducated tag gets old. Eddie McGuire has been a life-long Collingwood supporter and I guarentee what he's doing is a lot better than what you're doing so I'd advise you to think things through before posting generalisation rubbish.
But proves itself correct time after time.

I might (probably did) have come across as arrogant but seriously when you (not Stkilda.....) can't get more than 30k people to turn up to a game and then suggest that you could compete with the BIG 4 (whoever you think they currently are) I find it just as arrogant.

I might (probably did) have come across as arrogant but seriously when you (not Stkilda.....) can't get more than 30k people to turn up to a game and then suggest that you could compete with the BIG 4 (whoever you think they currently are) I find it just as arrogant.

More silly than arrogant , simple maths dictates that the masses your club can produce at a game will seduce the AFL into discarding the wishes of most other supporters. Money reigns supreme.:eek:

OK, I give in. I hereby nominate the next Hawthorn - Fremantle game as a blockbuster. And for good measure I nominate the next Essendon - Collingwood game as a non-blockbuster. That should reverse those crowd numbers.

Jesus, the stupidity of people thinking that blockbusters are somehow officially controlled by the AFL or anyone else... What is a blockbuster, other than a well attended game?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why Collingwood get blockbuster games......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back