This only marks the beginning...hopefully

Remove this Banner Ad

dima17

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like other Collingwood players and supporters, i am currently enjoying the week off and preparing to watch/live through, an exciting final couple of weeks of the season (fingers crossed). This week has got me thinking not only about our chances this year, but also about where we stand and can improve in future years...

When you look at our side this year, its hard to argue against us being the best side throughout the year (to date). This obviously counts for nothing unless we are able to win the 2010 premiership, however i think this year our coaching staff and players must be commended on the way they have grown as a "young" group and been able to compete with some fantastic sides - mainly St.Kilda and Geelong. Dont get me wrong, we certainly have some ageing players and players who appear to be in their prime, however on the whole this current Collignwood group can only grow stronger IMO, thanks to the new wave of young kids we have.

Not many people tend to raise the word "young" when refering to Collingwood however like it or lump it...this is a reality. I would be devestated if we did not follow through with our fantastic form and clinch a premiership this year, however its not all gloom and doom if our dream 2010 to date is runied by a single match.

When you look at the spine that lined up against the Bulldogs last weekend it was heartwarming to see:

Nathan Brown
Ben Reid
Dane Swan
Travis Cloke
Chris Dawes

All of the above players are in the early stages of there careers (early 20's) and all bar Swan (26 years old) are far from reaching there career best form.

Add to these names, combinations such as:

Thomas and Pendlebury
Macaffer and Wellingham
Toovey and Shaw
Beams And Sidebottom
Blair and Dick

...and it is easy to see why the future seems so bright. These players can certainly challenge for finals and more importantly a tilt at premierships for the coming years.

As the title says..."hopefully" this only marks the beginning of a fantastic group of players.

Good thread, and it's timely that someone pointed this out, how young we actually are that is.

We are "young" for a simple reason, and that is because we have lost so many top line mature players over the past 4-5 years.

If you look at the players that have left our club, or about to, it is staggering to think we are even in the 8, let alone a top 4 chance and a realistic premiership contender.

Derek Hine, MM and the entire recruiting and coaching staff have to be given a lot of credit for handling the last few years of transition as well as they possibly could.

And yes, this is only the beginning. We have a deep vein of young talent, that IMO is comparable to any list in the competition, but it just maybe a few years advanced on the other so called "young teams" in the comp.

Add the likes of J.Thomas, Sinclair, Blair (already making his mark), Keefe, Dick (please get fit) and a few others and it will really show the true young depth of our list over the next few years.

Apart form Hawthorn who "fluked" a flag, usually a side hangs around the top 4 for 4-5 years, and gets maybe 2 shots at a flag, and this is only our "beginning".:) The next 3-4 years will be exciting to say the least.:thumbsu:

Good thread, and it's timely that someone pointed this out, how young we actually are that is.

We are "young" for a simple reason, and that is because we have lost so many top line mature players over the past 4-5 years.

If you look at the players that have left our club, or about to, it is staggering to think we are even in the 8, let alone a top 4 chance and a realistic premiership contender.

Derek Hine, MM and the entire recruiting and coaching staff have to be given a lot of credit for handling the last few years of transition as well as they possibly could.

And yes, this is only the beginning. We have a deep vein of young talent, that IMO is comparable to any list in the competition, but it just maybe a few years advanced on the other so called "young teams" in the comp.

Add the likes of J.Thomas, Sinclair, Blair (already making his mark), Keefe, Dick (please get fit) and a few others and it will really show the true young depth of our list over the next few years.

Apart form Hawthorn who "fluked" a flag, usually a side hangs around the top 4 for 4-5 years, and gets maybe 2 shots at a flag, and this is only our "beginning".:) The next 3-4 years will be exciting to say the least.:thumbsu:

couldn't agree more matty ;) its an exciting future and we should be around for a while

Yep, definitely good times ahead for the forseeable future.

Win or lose this year, future all rosy

Don't even think about this lose scenario. Despite the future looking good, things may not turn out that way.

Carpe Diem, and then we can look at the future next year.

I think it takes more than a young list to determine if we are going to have a bright future, like coaching, development and other factors.

I just had a quick look at Collingwoods previous grandfinals and noticed in 1970 we were clearly the best team finishing on top, 3 games ahead. Well our team average age was only 23 yrs 130 days, 1 whole year younger than our current team. We didn't make another grandfinal until 1977, 7 years later.

So I just hope we can win this year, as we have got a great chance and worry about the future Collingwood another time.

That same picture dirst inspired me to make this thread "thecig". I wasnt't shocked but i was impressed with the significant age difference. We are in a good place for years to come ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back