Thoughts on Goddard today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been saying he’s a petulant child even in his St Kilda days.

It’s one thing to try and make your teammates accountable, I just find the way he does so a little bit rich considering he hates playing on anyone.

I’m convinced the reason he stood himself down from the leadership group was so he could continue to spit the dummy without being accused of being a bad role model.

I have yet to see Goddard near an opponent.
The easiest position to play is that unaccountable hslf bsck position where u simply accumulate ineffective possessions.

Maybe if he just helped out a teammate then it would be tolerated. However, on the outside it seems the bombers are a team that don’t gel. Particularly down back.

A bad influence around the club? What the hell?

He was one of our best today against an avalanche coming out of the middle.

He’s like Nick Maxwell in that its his job to run the backline. Opposition supporters see him pointing... um, that’s his job. Of course he gets too fired up sometimes, that’s him. Off the field he’s completely different.

He came to the club and landed in a ****in terrible situation through no fault of his own, and has been 1st, 3rd, 5th, 4th and 2nd in the B&F. He had every right to crack the shits with his situation but instead has stood up and been a vital leader. He’s been enormous for us, we couldn’t have asked for a better recruit.

In 2016 they put the interim captaincy to a vote of the players and he topped the poll almost unanimously. Must be a terrible influence.

What a stupid post.

Yeah OK. So what 'drive' did he provide off half back? Not one kick hurt us, not one. Backwards, sideways and small chip kicks. Provided no run and carry at all. Cost his side goals and the first to blame others.

If he is that respected at your club then no wonder you are crap. Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Maxwell, has a lot more talent but no leadership skills at all.

Goddard was arguably Essendon's best player today, and has been among their top 3-4 players this year.

Daniher was shit and wayward (11 turnovers, 4 frees against) today, and has been mediocre-to-shit all season so far, and was rightly called out for it.

The fact that Daniher thought the exchange was funny is more of a negative reflection on him than Goddard IMO.

Yeah OK. So what 'drive' did he provide off half back? Not one kick hurt us, not one. Backwards, sideways and small chip kicks. Provided no run and carry at all. Cost his side goals and the first to blame others.

If he is that respected at your club then no wonder you are crap. Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Maxwell, has a lot more talent but no leadership skills at all.

You made a shit post, face it. He’s a bad influence around the club. All of his teammates like him and he’s never finished outside the top 5 in the B&F.

He had a 20 second argument with a teammate. Yeah I think we should delist him.

Keep digging.

A bad influence around the club? What the hell?

He was one of our best today against an avalanche coming out of the middle.

He’s like Nick Maxwell in that its his job to run the backline. Opposition supporters see him pointing... um, that’s his job. Of course he gets too fired up sometimes, that’s him. Off the field he’s completely different.

He came to the club and landed in a ****in terrible situation through no fault of his own, and has been 1st, 3rd, 5th, 4th and 2nd in the B&F. He had every right to crack the shits with his situation but instead has stood up and been a vital leader. He’s been enormous for us, we couldn’t have asked for a better recruit.

In 2016 they put the interim captaincy to a vote of the players and he topped the poll almost unanimously. Must be a terrible influence.

What a stupid post.

No it wasnt.

Watched with 4 mates and we were all discussing Goddard. Both Zaharakis and Daniher gave a bit back, waved him off and you read their lips as that basically said get f#*€ed as they walked away.

That is poor leadership all round and destructive. What would those young blokes be thinking looking and listening to their senior players carrying on like pork chops on the national stage in front of millions.

Goddard sea gulled across half back all day and mostly hand balled or kicked backwards. Soft unimaginative risk free footy that builds stats but turns the play into stagnant fart that goes nowhere.

But if you are happy with that all good. All the other suppoerters on here will just smile and wave.

You made a shit post, face it. He’s a bad influence around the club. All of his teammates like him and he’s never finished outside the top 5 in the B&F.

He had a 20 second argument with a teammate. Yeah I think we should delist him.

Keep digging.
Lol. I know guys that knew him at Caufield Grammar. Thought he was a twat there. Sure he may have grown up but he certainly looked like a twat out there today. With his seniority he should have realised that you don't berate your team mate so openly in public. If they think he is a great leader at the club, it says more about the state of the club than anything IMHO.
It's not about "caring", it is about performing as a senior player in a controlled instructive fashion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do find it amusing that even the Bulldogs tribal elders troll him
11794_47568_9912.jpg

Which “old mate” ? The drunk one I assume?

Probably not much footage of Hodge behaving like that because he is actually a decent leader? Funny that.
Such a shitty comparison. I always thought of Hodgey as more of an arm around his mates shoulder type leader rather than a screaming in his face type one. And even if a stern conversation was needed, Hodge would deliver the message and then go and put his body on the line. That’s the difference.

No it wasnt.

Watched with 4 mates and we were all discussing Goddard. Both Zaharakis and Daniher gave a bit back, waved him off and you read their lips as that basically said get f#*€ed as they walked away.

That is poor leadership all round and destructive. What would those young blokes be thinking looking and listening to their senior players carrying on like pork chops on the national stage in front of millions.

Goddard sea gulled across half back all day and mostly hand balled or kicked backwards. Soft unimaginative risk free footy that builds stats but turns the play into stagnant fart that goes nowhere.

But if you are happy with that all good. All the other suppoerters on here will just smile and wave.

Depends on what is actually said obviously, but to look at it another way, perhaps Zaha and Daniher are used to being coddled and babied, and can't take the hard truths that they need to lift their game at certain times.

And where does their captain sit in all this? Anonymous leadership and captaincy from Heppell.

Old mate on afl 360 made a good point.

If it was Luke Hodge doing that we would be talking about how great a leader he is.

I have no problem with it.
The difference being that when Hodge spoke his teammates listened, because he was firstly respected by them and secondly backed it up by leading by example.

Goddard's teammates argue back for a reason.

No coincidence that Essendon totally droppped their dacks and bent over when Goddard was doing his “look at me pointing at all the other blokes who’ve lost the game for us” rubbish.

If the Bombers had any real leaders he’d have to pull his head in. But it’s a soft club with soft leaders and he’ll keep pointing and Chokin Joe will keep laughing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Goddard today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back