Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything went as expected..

Saints didn't ever look like matching it with any of the other finalists. Now it's time for a re-build and a chance to get some of their players poached by the Giants.

Everything went as expected..

Saints didn't ever look like matching it with any of the other finalists. Now it's time for a re-build and a chance to get some of their players poached by the Giants.

When was the last time Essendon won a final?

st kilda really needed a dermott brereton line in the sand rev up at half time...

maybe they could have used this for inspiration

[youtube]ieCQ3qDcuos[/youtube]

they needed some toughness, someone needed to stand up and run through a goodes or an okeefe

i'll probably get shot down for inciting violence, but this is finals football and standing by and watching your season go down the drain is soft as butter...

the whole club needs some toughness...

see you later ross lyon

Oh Plugger, great deflection. I could counter with one of my own (when was the last time the Saints won a flag?) but let's keep this on topic.

Funnily enough, this is a topic about St Kilda, and it's actually completely irrelevant what my own team's form has been - or any other club for that matter - over the past few years.

Only the stupidist and worst posters on the board would ever assume that because one person supports one team whosee form may have been questionable recently that their opinions are less valid than those of the reigning premier.

St Kilda were the team that could match it the least with any of the other finalists. They would have lost by a more embarrassing margin against any other team in the top 8.. St Kilda did have a solid win over the Eagles at Etihad (not that they haven't been the only team to do that) and their only other win against a finalist was against Carlton who went out just looking to get trough rnd 24 w/ no injuries as they had 5th place all booked up.

This table here shows why I thought the Saints were the least likely team to defeat any other team in the finals series.

All taken from results during the 2011 H&A season

C'wood - 9 wins, from 11 games against other finalists
Geel - 8 wins, from 11 games against other finalists
Haw - 5 wins, from 8 games against other finalists
Carl - 4 wins, 1 draw from 11 games against other finalists
Ess - 4 wins, 1 draw from 11 games against other finalists
Syd - 4 wins, from 10 games against other finalists
WCE - 3 wins, from 8 games against other finalists
St Kilda - 2 wins from 9 games against other finalists

Just wonder about the effectiveness of St Kilda's no risk game plan under Lyon, highlighted last night by Sydney's dare and run that put them to the sword.

Looking back over Lyons time at St Kilda he has had his disposal one of the greatest forwards of the modern era, partnered with the admittedly lesser but still able, Kosi and some very smart crumbers in Milne and Schneider. Yet they have always been weakened by the inability to kick a score.

Lot of talk Lyon may move on to Melbourne, who would be great for that club. But perhaps St Kilda would also benefit from a new coach with a different approach.

Oh Plugger, great deflection. I could counter with one of my own (when was the last time the Saints won a flag?) but let's keep this on topic.

Funnily enough, this is a topic about St Kilda, and it's actually completely irrelevant what my own team's form has been - or any other club for that matter - over the past few years.

Only the stupidist and worst posters on the board would ever assume that because one person supports one team whosee form may have been questionable recently that their opinions are less valid than those of the reigning premier.

St Kilda were the team that could match it the least with any of the other finalists. They would have lost by a more embarrassing margin against any other team in the top 8.. St Kilda did have a solid win over the Eagles at Etihad (not that they haven't been the only team to do that) and their only other win against a finalist was against Carlton who went out just looking to get trough rnd 24 w/ no injuries as they had 5th
place all booked up.

Love it ! nailed it ! One word and trying to to be harsh - Pretenders. Simply filling numbers in the 8. Sydney beat an out of form, ill-structured side, but lets face it they aren't going to worry Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood or even Carlton.

St Kilda were the team that could match it the least with any of the other finalists. They would have lost by a more embarrassing margin against any other team in the top 8.. St Kilda did have a solid win over the Eagles at Etihad (not that they haven't been the only team to do that) and their only other win against a finalist was against Carlton who went out just looking to get trough rnd 24 w/ no injuries as they had 5th place all booked up.

I think Essendon showed today they could match it the least with any of the other finalists. At least we were competitive against the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back