Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

he's played 11 and Andrej's Everitt has played 11, I don't care which one you choose.

Do you just type shit for the sake of it? Everitt hasn't played in 10 weeks, and of those 11 games that he did play he would have played most of them as a sub because we were hit by injuries. Do you fail to comprehend that both White and Everitt are not in our best 22? Just like how Koschitzke and Dawson would not be in our best 22.

FYI, our starting forward line would look something like the following:

HF: Jude Bolton Adam Goodes Ben McGlynn
FF: Luke Parker Sam Reid Gary Rohan

None of those players would lose their spots to Koschitzke and it would be stupid to suggest otherwise.

Do you just type shit for the sake of it? Everitt hasn't played in 10 weeks, and of those 11 games that he did play he would have played most of them as a sub because we were hit by injuries. Do you fail to comprehend that both White and Everitt are not in our best 22? Just like how Koschitzke and Dawson would not be in our best 22.

FYI, our starting forward line would look something like the following:

HF: Jude Bolton Adam Goodes Ben McGlynn
FF: Luke Parker Sam Reid Gary Rohan

None of those players would lose their spots to Koschitzke and it would be stupid to suggest otherwise.

and given Goodes inevitable move to the midfield Kosi would be straight off then bench to provide the structure that forward line lacks.

Possibly - if:
1. you ignore Sydney's recent outstanding form - especially beating you pretty comfortably plus our win over Geelong at Geelong;
2. you ignore your recent form - flat track bullying against lower teams and pathetic Shitboners and Blues "efforts";
3. you ignore Sydney's renowned attack on the ball which sets us up beautifully in finals;
4. you ignore the fact that this Swans team never ever throws in the towel;
5. you completely ignore our finals record since 2003/4 - especially now in a rebuilding phase.

Class above in finals? You have got to be kidding.

If your team goes into this game with that attitude, we'll belt you by 60.

If we look objectively at the last half of the season, Swans have wins against GC, Western Bulldogs, Saints, Cats, Lions. Since you don't rate the Saints, there is only one decent win there. And you accuse the Saints of flat track bullying! Swans lost to Carlton, Collingwood, Adelaide, Freo, Essendon and Richmond, hardly impressive in the last four instances. Saints have wins against North twice, Port, West Coast, Adelaide, GC, Freo and Carlton and losses to Geelong, Pies and Sydney, hardly shameful.

Your erstwhile fellow fan is getting his knickers in a knot about a few Saints fans who think we will win. Well none of them have made outrageous predictions like 60 points. You ignore the fact that Saints and Swans play a similar kind of game and it will never be a blowout.

I think Adam Goodes has to play well for Sydney to win. If he is kept in check Sydney usually lose. Saints are not as reliant on one single player and I think the home final does give us the edge in this game.

Haha excuses excuses mate. We both played our best available teams, went hard and St Kilda came out on top. Pretty sick of these 'I wasn't trying' excuses to discount results. All carlton's best players (Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Walker, Betts etc) were playing, trying their hardest and came up short end of story. Same with the Swans/Geelong match, regardless of ladder relevance that was a legitimate and impressive win.

Oh and if you are really that confused why people may have changed their mind it is pretty simple. St Kilda showed they could actually beat fellow top 8 teams after having a poor record against them. Carlton lost their second consecutive game to a fellow finals contender and have now only the Essendon (who barely scraped in) flogging to their name in the past 11 rounds.

Hardly a stretch to say the Saints are looking slightly better and the Blues slightly worse than if the game had gone as expected

Of course they are excuses, anyone with half a brain can see we didn't need to win the match, the players that were out there tried there best and form going into finals is important but if we needed to win the intensity would have been far greater and we would have played Jamison, Carrazzo, Thornton and probably left Ellard in the team rather then play Lucas.

lol @ Saints fans simultaneously blowing off Carlton's excuses for losing on the weekend whilst coming up with their own for losing against us a few weeks back.

:thumbsu:

Of course they are excuses, anyone with half a brain can see we didn't need to win the match, the players that were out there tried there best and form going into finals is important but if we needed to win the intensity would have been far greater and we would have played Jamison, Carrazzo, Thornton and probably left Ellard in the team rather then play Lucas.

:thumbsu:

and the Saints wouldn't have played Gardiner and would have given both Riewoldt and Kosi a jab pre game.

Richards does bot have the engine to stick with Riewoldt.

The report from last game -

Ted's big job
RSS
- Font
+ Font
Print
By James Dampney
6:41 PM Sun 21 Aug, 2011

Swan Ted Richard kept Saint Nick Riewoldt to two goals

Related content
SwansTV: Spangher post game
Sun, Aug 21, 11
Today's headlines
Ask A Swan with Matt Spangher
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Swans spread for Play of the Day
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Finals Week 1 Information
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Today's videos
SwansTV: Handpicked Highlights R24 v Brisbane
Mon, Sep 05, 11
SwansTV: Play of the Day R24: Swans go coast to coast
Mon, Sep 05, 11
SwansTV: Match Summary R24 v Bris
Mon, Sep 05, 11

SYDNEY Swans defender Ted Richards knew early in the week he would have the sizeable task of trying to limit St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt in their clash at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

And Richards also knew he had one task in particular - running.

"I knew that I'd be playing on him and you can do as much homework as you want, but basically you just write down, 'I have to run'," Richards said after the Swans' 15-point victory.

"That's his big strength and he does these long 100m leads side to side. I'll probably sleep pretty well tonight.

"Not many guys six-foot-six can charge around like that for four quarters and have speed as well."

Richards ran and ran well, getting the better of Riewoldt and playing a big part in the Swans' win.

Riewoldt was dangerous early, kicking his first goal from a free kick against Richards in the opening term and his second after out-marking the Swan in the second quarter as the Saints led by 10 points at half-time.

But Richards never stopped trying and regularly spoiled Riewoldt's marking attempts to limit the St Kilda captain to 15 disposals and 2.1, keeping him goalless after the main break.

"I thought he was really good 'Teddy'," Swans coach John Longmire said.

Ted's big job
RSS
- Font
+ Font
Print
By James Dampney

Related content
Sun, Aug 21, 11
Today's headlines
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Today's videos
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11

SYDNEY Swans defender Ted Richards knew early in the week he would have the sizeable task of trying to limit St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt in their clash at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

And Richards also knew he had one task in particular - running.

"I knew that I'd be playing on him and you can do as much homework as you want, but basically you just write down, 'I have to run'," Richards said after the Swans' 15-point victory.

"That's his big strength and he does these long 100m leads side to side. I'll probably sleep pretty well tonight.

"Not many guys six-foot-six can charge around like that for four quarters and have speed as well."

Richards ran and ran well, getting the better of Riewoldt and playing a big part in the Swans' win.

Riewoldt was dangerous early, kicking his first goal from a free kick against Richards in the opening term and his second after out-marking the Swan in the second quarter as the Saints led by 10 points at half-time.

But Richards never stopped trying and regularly spoiled Riewoldt's marking attempts to limit the St Kilda captain to 15 disposals and 2.1, keeping him goalless after the main break.

"I thought he was really good 'Teddy'," Swans coach John Longmire said.

Sorry - your post contains proof, facts and logic.

mods - please delete.

Haha, delusional. Yeah mate I'm sure Juddy was just letting himself get towelled up out of pure generosity.

You had your best side earlier in the year during our form slump and won by a point. You had thereabouts your best side coming into finals and lost. It's not like you did a Hawthorn and took out 8 fit stars and replaced them with VFL players.

One team were desperate to get a home final ..the other had nothing to play for ..these are the facts..Carlton were in second gear for most of the night ...Saints will need to improve a hell of a lot to just get past the Swans.

Perversely, I think the Blues did the Swans a favour. It looks like a Swans home final would have been played in the rain and the Swans haven't been playing good wet weather footy this year. The Swans have a better away record than at home this year.

Hard to deny that the Swans are obviously in better form than the Saints right now (especially the Cats at Skilled win but also beating the Saints three games ago and the Lions this weekend) and finally they are kicking goals rather than behinds.

Finals wins depend on both increased intensity and skill. I'm expecting the Swans to win this week but go out in week 2. They'll have the intensity but not the skills to get over the Pies, Cats and Hawks and the Eagles are playing good footy.

It's the time of the year that you imagine one of the bottom 4 playing in the Grand Final. But I can't see it happening, being realistic.

What was your final score in Round 22?

FWIW, Saints will win this weekend, quite comfortably. About 4 goals.

Lots of posters from both sides making a fool of themselves in this thread on a match that can go either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ted's big job
RSS
- Font
+ Font
Print
By James Dampney

Related content
Sun, Aug 21, 11
Today's headlines
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Today's videos
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
Mon, Sep 05, 11
I stopped reading after this. Very informative though.

They won't trouble Geelong Hawks or Coll but they could cause some headaches for us if we have to play them at some stage.

Saints can't beat us in finals. You can bookmark this and get back to me this time next week.

If you get within 10 goals of us under the Dome I'll be shocked. You had a perfect storm against us 2 weeks ago as you had a horrific loss to Richmond and copped a belting in the press, we had also just played Collingwood and played them tight. You won't be so lucky this week.

As for how far we can go, it depends if we get Geelong I'll be very confident Hawthorn would kill us though.

I'm confident of beating the Swans simply because of the Etihad factor. How is Sydney's record there (this is a serious question)? Our players perform well at the Dome... they should, it's our home ground!

As for how far we can go, I'm not confident of getting past the semis simply because of history. However we are still a strong side with finals experience, and if we get Hawks or Cats on an off day we can beat them. Same goes for Pies in a prelim. Obviously this relies on the opposition not playing very well, but this is something that our gameplan can bring out if we're on.

What was your final score in Round 22?

FWIW, Saints will win this weekend, quite comfortably. About 4 goals.

Thanks for asking.

R21 v Tiges Swans kicked 7.14 56
R22 v Saints Swans kicked 10.23 (for 83 and still won!)
R23 v Cats Swans kicked 15.9 99
R24 v Lions Swans kicked 18.11 119

So we're heading in the right direction as we finally get a functional forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back