Media TIFmedia presents... Qooty Qlashbacks: State of Origin Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

0qeK5u7.png

Q9jlDwB.png

Hello and welcome to this Qooty Qlashbacks special!

I’m your host TheInjuryFactory, and today we will be taking another trip down memory lane, as we revisit one of the Sweet F.A’s classic encounters.

State of Origin is back!

To celebrate the return of State of Origin to the Sweet F.A for the upcoming Series XIV, TIFmedia™ will be commemorating the occasion throughout the series by featuring some of Qooty’s classic State of Origin clashes of yesteryear from our competition’s rich history.

We spoke with current WA captain Tarkyn_24 for his recollections and his early impressions of the Sweet F.A SoO concept.

"Going right back, the concept kicked off in my debut season - Season 7. Ljp was a bit more established in the competition having debuted a few seasons earlier and obviously held a bit more sway. From my perspective I kind of fell into the team by being active at the time, but I definitely wasn’t a cornerstone of the side. I played a lot off the bench and through the deep backline.

The first carnival was marred by a bit of controversy, with perennial rookie @sausageroll actually pulling out of the first game of the competition in protest at the selection process of the Allies, who opted to play Nathan Buckley instead of an active poster. In doing so he was replaced by James Hird.

My main memories from the competition revolved around having the opportunity to play alongside a few posters that I really enjoyed playing against during the home and away season.”

Today, we remember the thrilling Sweet F.A SoO Series III Final featuring Western Australia v Allies.

With both sides undefeated throughout the carnival, the scene was set for a captivating Final, as first time finalists WA set out to deny the two-time runner up Allies.

Both sides had comfortable wins on their way to qualifying for the decider.

LGoSiAQ.png

Allies defeated Victoria by 30 points @ Aurora Stadium

The Allies, led by captain phoenix_rise, were coming off a convincing home win against Victoria at Aurora Stadium. In rainy conditions, star rookie sausageroll was the difference, with 4 goals to go with his 22 touches in a clear best on ground performance. Ably supported by ruckman AsianWithAFro (18 touches, 11 hitouts, 3 goals 2 behinds), the Allies cruised home, winning by 5 goals and earning their third consecutive berth in the series decider.

Match Report

Allies 16.5.111
Victoria 12.9.81

Goals
Allies:
sausageroll 4, AsianWithAFro 3, Tivers 3, Eggman 2, 15petterd15 1, Metallica_Man 1, OldMav 1,TFLUA-Tiger 1
Victoria: Young Gun 3, EddieBettsIsAChamp 2, Team Mo’ 2, Beavers Army 1, Doggiesin08 1, GreaT SourcE 1, HBK619 1, Lovett Lover 13 1

Best
Allies:
sausageroll, AsianWithAFro, tristo, phoenix_rise
Victoria: Young Gun, Jolldo87, Doggiesin08

ArSUbrA.png

South Australia defeated by Western Australia by 84 points @ AAMI Stadium

Meanwhile Western Australia, with then skipper and current WA vice-captain Ljp86 at the helm, stormed into favouritism as they booked their place in the decider, with a demolition of South Australia to the tune of 84 points at AAMI stadium. In clear conditions perfect for qooty, WA jumped SA, silencing the parochial crowd as they piled on a 7 goal to 2 first quarter. From there they were never headed, with Tarkyn_24 (24 touches, 13 hitouts, 7 tackles and a goal) eclipsing his opposite ruck Mad Dog in a duel for the ages, just shading his WA teammate hougie for best on honours, who top scored with 5 goals for the match in a forward pocket.

Match Report

South Australia 8.10.58
Western Australia 20.22.142

Goals
South Australia:
Crows88 1, dreamkillers 1, Janus 1, Fantastic Crows 1, Mad Dog 1, The Chirpin Bird 1, Toots Hibbert 1, WazzaAC 1
Western Australia: hougie 5, YOTC 4, Wally 3, Quinzate1 2, lyall 2, Big Man 1, happy_eagle 1, Ljp86 1, Tarkyn_24 1

Best
South Australia:
Mad Dog, Toots Hibbert, Fantastic Crows, FattyLumpkin
Western Australia: Tarkyn_24, hougie, lyall, Ljp86, YOTC

Last edited:
i6vDb5P.png

QVridQ1.jpg

The stage was set for a State of Origin epic, with Western Australia hosting the Allies at a packed Subiaco Oval on a Saturday afternoon.

2DKSLgK.jpg

Tarkyn_24 recalled his early excitement about representing WA in those early series, and how unique an opportunity it was to mix it with the best of the best from your own state in that WA side.

1teDnSS.jpg

“I think a lot of us enjoyed the novelty of mixing it with a different batch of posters. I think WA had a dominant bunch of contributors in those days so I know I enjoyed it, even as the new kid on the block looking to earn his stripes.

I enjoyed a lot of the early Hawks posters, and actually had committed to joining them before I was made captain of the Demons in just my second season in the competition. Biggie has been recognised with a very justified Hall of Fame nod, and was probably my favourite poster at the time. He always threw a bit of shade your way but always took the competition in good humour. His early work was enjoyable. wce_all_da_way , and Moo were others I’d looked forward to the opportunity to play alongside, and YOTC was an absolutely dominant full forward in the early days of SOO. Seemed almost inevitable that he’d absolutely kill it on the field back then.

WA were really capable of putting together strong squads on the back of the Hawks and to a lesser extent the Wonders being inundated with West Coast supporters.”
qRWDDga.png

The Allies changes to the side paid immediate dividends, with the shift of Eggman into Full Forward producing the first goal of the game, as the Allies opened proceedings. Western Australia hit back however, as they responded with the next 3 goals of the game courtesy of (Quinzate1 and YOTC’s two consecutive goals to bring the raucous WA crowd into the game early. However two goals in time-on to the Allies via sausageroll and AsianWithAFro saw the Allies edge ahead by a solitary point at quarter time.

Western Australia 3.1.19
Allies 3.2.20

2jmnwpQ.png

Another major in the first minute to Eggman further vindicated the Allies match committee as the Allies drew first blood. In a seesawing term, WA wrestled ascendancy in the midfield, however they failed to make the most of their dominance. Quinzate1, YOTC and hougie were all lively up front but wayward in front of goal, managing only 3 goals from 9 scoring shots. WA went into the break with a 4 point lead at the half.

Western Australia 6.7.43
Allies 6.3.39

8XXiZuW.jpg

gOGcDhh.png

Some desperate pressure from Allies defender stmookeyj saved a certain goal in the first minute as YOTC continued to wreak havoc up front early in the third, as the Allies begun to ring in the changes. Defenders 15petterd15 and mellowyellow were swung into the midfield to help arrest WA’s momentum. The ruck – rover combination of Tarkyn_24 & Ljp86 put on a masterclass in the premiership quarter, continuing to give their state first supply and the forwards delivered with Big Man, HawkPatrol (2 goals), lyall and Quinzate1 all goaling in a 5 goal to 1 quarter to open up a handy lead into the final stanza. WA’s defence, led by Keyser Soze was well and truly on top and tightening the screws on the Allies offensive game.

Western Australia 11.11.77
Allies 7.5.47

JqSSoyu.png

The West Aussies almost put the result beyond doubt within the first 5 mins of the final quarter, with consecutive goals to Wally and YOTC opening up a game high 43 point lead. At this point the fiery contest went up another notch, as a captain’s goal to phoenix_rise at the 10 minute mark signalled a fourth quarter fightback from the Allies, who reduced the buffer to just 25 points in the space of 5 mins with majors to Osmodian and Eggman and the Allies were right back in the contest. However the WA captain Ljp86 responded to lift his side with an amazing solo effort, winning the resulting clearance and a streaming inside 50 to pump home a long range effort from the boundary for a captain’s goal of his own as he banged home the sealer. When the dangerous small forward hougie scored from a tight angle in the right forward pocket it was party time for WA. The West Aussies running away with a famous victory by 39 points for their maiden Sweet F.A State of Origin championship.

FINAL SCORE

Western Australia 15.14.104
Allies 10.5.65

Goals
Western Australia:
YOTC 4, Quinzate1 3, HawkPatrol 2, Big Man 1, hougie 1, Ljp86 1, lyall 1, peterss 1, Wally 1
Allies: Eggman 3, Swansational05 2, AsianWithAFro 1, Osmodiar 1, phoenix_rise 1, TFLUA-Tiger 1, sausageroll 1

Best
Western Australia:
Ljp86, YOTC, Quinzate1, Tarkyn_24, Big Man
Allies: sausageroll, 15petterd15, TFLUA-Tiger, mellowyellow, phoenix_rise

Votes
3. Ljp86
2. YOTC
1. phoenix_rise

Kbe65Vf.png

XbJ0r5A.png

The WA spirit shone through, especially in the third quarter where the game was up for grabs. And when the Allies challenged in the last, we shut them out with some great football.

Some great games had by all. YOTC was awesome up forward, Quinz also did his job, kicking three great goals with Big Man, Tarks and myself playing well in the midfield. Fivo And Keys marshalled the backline once again with ashley12 giving us some good run off the half back flank. Juddy88 and Bonce also had solid matches. Our backline was awesome all carnival, they did a great job back there and really were the force behind our pushes up forward.

hjExrdL.png

Good job WA. You smashed us.

The one vote for B.O.G. for the Allies means nothing when we didn’t take the championship.

2nd best isn’t good enough, let's fire back next year.

For now, well done black swans.

For Tarkyn_24, the memories of that day and his opponents still live on a decade later.

“In terms of the Allies that played that day, stmookeyj was a long time Demon that posted sporadically but definitely regularly enough in those days to constitute a consistent game. sausageroll is obviously a standout name on that list in terms of current influence. Eggman and Metallica Man were regular contributors both in the Sweet FA and Take Forum when that existed, and I think Metallica Man went on to change his username and hung around the Sweet FA for a while.”

The Allies team lost that day definitely doesn’t read back great in terms of longevity, but the contributions of some of these guys across Bigfooty, Take Forum and even into TAE are memories I still have over a decade on.”

Thank you for joining us today as we relived the historic maiden Western Australian victory in the third Sweet F.A State of Origin series all the way back in 2008.

Join us next week for another installment of Qooty Qlashbacks – State of Origin edition, as we relive another memorable Sweet F.A State of Origin epic!

Last edited:

Wow what a fantastic write up!
Cheers Biggie. :thumbsu:

Congrats to yourself, Tarks, Ljp, boncer34, Keys, Quinz and co for pioneering that groundbreaking win as we celebrate the 10 year anniversary of that historic first WA State of Origin championship. :trophy:

:cool:

What a great idea for a thread and such a polished look. It's nice seeing SOO getting such a rousing reception. My first ever match was a SOO game for NSW/ACT (I wonder how many others have debuted in SOO) I think before I'd even chosen my first team so this tournament solidified my interest in the Sweet FA no doubt, especially as we won the thing too.

What a great idea for a thread and such a polished look. It's nice seeing SOO getting such a rousing reception. My first ever match was a SOO game for NSW/ACT (I wonder how many others have debuted in SOO) I think before I'd even chosen my first team so this tournament solidified my interest in the Sweet FA no doubt, especially as we won the thing too.

When I was researching Eth I recall his first game may have been a SoO match. Either that or Footypie32

Goals
Allies:
sausageroll 4, AsianWithAFro 3, Tivers 3, Eggman 2, 15petterd15 1, Metallica_Man 1, OldMav 1,TFLUA-Tiger 1

Best
Allies:
sausageroll, AsianWithAFro, tristo, phoenix_rise

Goals
Allies:
Eggman 3, Swansational05 2, AsianWithAFro 1, Osmodiar 1, phoenix_rise 1, TFLUA-Tiger 1, sausageroll 1

Best
Allies:
sausageroll, 15petterd15, TFLUA-Tiger, mellowyellow, phoenix_rise

For Tarkyn_24, the memories of that day and his opponents still live on a decade later.

“In terms of the Allies that played that day, stmookeyj was a long time Demon that posted sporadically but definitely regularly enough in those days to constitute a consistent game. sausageroll is obviously a standout name on that list in terms of current influence. Eggman and Metallica Man were regular contributors both in the Sweet FA and Take Forum when that existed, and I think Metallica Man went on to change his username and hung around the Sweet FA for a while.”

The Allies team lost that day definitely doesn’t read back great in terms of longevity, but the contributions of some of these guys across Bigfooty, Take Forum and even into TAE are memories I still have over a decade on.”

Tarkyn_24 Metallica Man changed his name to Metallica_ACDC (or something like that) but hasn't been active on here for years.
OldMav is still playing in the SFA but under a different name ;)

The biggest name you forgot to mention from the Allies was TFLUA-Tiger. He's still spoken about more regularly than the vast majority of former SFA players.

Actually, who cares about all that. I really just wanted to quote these because I was BOG for Allies in both games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media TIFmedia presents... Qooty Qlashbacks: State of Origin Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back