Tiger Training

Remove this Banner Ad

i know ill cop alot of ******** for this but check pre they had a couple ppl do a report on trainin and if u just read wat they say then u'll get an idea of wat went on.....sorry if ive upset any1 by mentioning pre

nugget_12 said:
i know ill cop alot of ******** for this but check pre they had a couple ppl do a report on trainin and if u just read wat they say then u'll get an idea of wat went on.....sorry if ive upset any1 by mentioning pre

PRE may not be everyone's fav web site. But some of those guys are on the ball.

I'm not getting into the war between PRE & other threads. I enjoy reading them all. They all complement each other, and each have info that u can't find on the one site.

Anyway....another poster posted this training update from today's training (Jan 12, Wednesday)

Being such a nice day I went for a ride along the yarra and then decided to head to Punt Rd for training.

I must have gotten there close to the start as there were still some players coming out down the ramp to the ground.

Whilst there I didn't see (or hear the name called for) Coughlan, Deledio, Stafford, Knobel or Bowden. Ray Hall, Hilton and Hartigan were on separate programs to the rest of the team.

They started off by forming pairs and kicking the ball to each other.
Initially they were nice easy kicks but the players moved on to low kicks; kicks that required the other player to jump to mark and kicks to a moving target. Some other players, in a group of three, were doing the handball drill of having one player stand infront of a mini-tramp whilst the other two would throw a ball against the tramp.
The receiver would catch the ball and handball to either side, in turns. You had to have very quick hands not to end up holding on to two footballs. And yes, it was hard keeping that last sentence clean

After 15 minutes or so of that the players were split into two groups standing about 30 meters apart, with two players in orange singlets in the middle between them. The players at either end were divided into four columns. A ball was kicked to a player at an end by David King, which would signal for the first four players at that end to proceed to try and get the ball to one of the players at the opposite end through the use of handball only. It was the orange players job to stop them! I thought this was a great drill as the guys went in really hard, glad to report that no-one was injured. As time went on the number of players in the middle was increased to try and counter the attacking groups. All the guys did really well and were looking very sharp. If I had to point the ugly stick at anyone it would be Richo and Morrison, both of whom made more than one mistake either by dropping a pass or missing a player by a fair whack.

The orange players really went in hard on this one. They tackled, smothered, bumped and generally hastled the others a lot. For the attackers they also didn't hold back with some big shepherds being laid and lots of players diving on the ball to not cause a turn over.

Everyone was called into the middle for a chat for a bit before being sent to the punt rd end to do ladder runs. First it was just by themselves working on their foot speed but turned into adding a handball component to the drill with a partner. This was quite a fun one to watch as some of the new guys were having some issues with how many steps to take between each of the 'rungs' of the ladder. They also did the run whilst facing sideways to help with their lateral movement.

The guys were again split up into four groups and went through the same 'attacking and clearing' drill I wrote about on Monday. One of the teams had Krak, Rodan, Brown, Richo, Thursfield, Pattison and Shultz in it. I belive they one their heat at the punt road end by 7 points. I won't write too much about this drill except to add new news...

Shultz copped a huge corky whilst taking a great mark when Gaspar landed right on his upper thigh. You could tell it hurt. Before getting injured Shultz looked as if his game has gone to a new level.
He was leading strongly and marking even better, I should add that Gaspar was trying to mark him really closely but he still scored a couple of goals after marking well.

Thursfield is a decent height but very skinny, although it is all muscle. In this drill he was a leading full forward and was pretty quick and a good kick for goal as well. After Shultz got corked Thursfield took the kick from right on the boundary about 10 around from the point post. He had three players jumping around and clapping to try and put him off but he slotted it was a nice banana kick.

Krak and Rodan did some nice things which resulted in goals. I think Rodan has been paying attention to the way Krak moves around (and
through) packs as he seems to be a lot more evasive this year.

Watched who I think was Dean Polo and he did pretty well. He seemed to move well, be a good kick and have good vision. He needs more upper body strenght as his attempted long handballs sometimes fell short.

Pattison is a decent height but too skinny to play AFL this year. You can tell he is going to keep growing, and fill out, as his head is too big for his body. For those of you with teenagers you will know what I am on about.

After a drink break the players were again split into a kicking version of the handball drill I mentioned above. The difference was that the team in the middle changed after each attacking move was either completed or cut off. This was my favorite drill of the day as you could really see how the players were going in a one on one situation. If the defensive team managed to get/cause a turnover they had to clear it to a trainer, who were situated behind the lines of players. Oh yeah, they had five lines of players for this drill instead of the four for the handball drill. Observations from this drill included...
Danny Meyer is a lovely kick of the ball and an alround gun! He is the type of player who seems to have lots of time to dispose of the ball, even when tackled, and does so well. I don't know if he missed a handball or pass, so a very exciting recruit!
Dean Polo is pretty quick across the ground. I remember one occassion where he was being chased by two others and managed to speed away from them before passing off nicely.
Browny is a class act!
Richo thinks he can outrun everyone else, *lol* which he managed to do thanks to a couple of lovely bumps by his team-mates.
Rodan is quicker than most of the team and he used this again to get clear of trouble.
I think Tim asked "if Tambling is number 2 for speed who could be number 1?". I just may have seen something to answer this one for you Tim. As the team Tambling was on was streaming forth he broke towards the centre of the ground and had a few metres on everyone. Tom Roach spotted him and took off after him, and I aint talking about being at a walk or some half assed effort either! Roach managed to catch up to him and spoil his attempted mark within moments. I will add that Tambling was leading hard for the mark and had room but got caught up to in awesome style by Roach. Now I know Roachy had the benefit of nod needing to keep his eyes on the ball but I was VERY impressed with his speed and effort... did I mention VERY? In fact, if the Pres of the Tom Roach fanclub would like to swap with me for Browny or Cogs I would be more than happy to do so ) Tambling did some good stuff. His hand speed matches his footspeed and he made some great passes to team-mates both in the open or in traffic. He must also be super fit, as in a later running drill everyone was panting and sweating as it was a hard drill but Tambling was cruising along without a sweat! He also has a really nice running motion, he doesn't bob up and down like most people his running is really flat and smooth.
Mark Graham is in great shape and made some nice spoils during the drill. Hopefully he can keep improving and help down back.

Yoikers this is getting long!!

General observations

Troy Simmonds is in great shape and will prove a great addition to the team, I have no doubt!
Pettifer and Morrison need to step up and show why they are still in the team and why they should stay there.
I am expecting a much improved year from Rodan and Roach.
Krak still needs to improve his aerobic capacity as he was lagging at the back of all running drills that were undertaken.
Rix is an athlete and a half. In the continuous running drills he was pretty much leading the way for all players and didn't even look like slowing down.
Chris Hyde was great in all drills. He made some nice passes and kicked a lovely running goal. He also did very well in the running drills too, always being up the front.
Kelvin Moore has bulked up nicely and has improved his kicking and marking. Hopefully he will provide another leading option up forward or as a running backman.
Chaffey is looking in great nick but still lets himself down by taking a while to make a decision. Also, a few of his kicks and handballs missed their targets :S

Okay I will stop there. If anyone would like a report on a particular player please just let me know and I will jumpstart the ol' grey matter and do the best I can

Ciao
K-)

you're welcome Bentleigh, Sante. Was surprised noone on here has posted on training this week. Too good of a read not to be seen by other Tigers on here. From what i read on these training updates, the training drills sound so much more effective and full on compared to when the spud was coach. All is looking good for the future.

Go Tiges!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do these players have in common?

Tivendale
Rodan
Krakouer
Roach
Deledio
Tambling

?

Speed!

Looks like we won't be such a slow team any longer, and will be able to pressure the midfield of opposing teams more effectively. More opposition tunrovers = more wins! :D :D :D

Talk about the Wooden Spoon being a gift.

On top of Delideo Getting Tambling could make us one of the fastest teams in the league!

I cant wait to see Tambling run rings around the Hawthorn midfield, just to rub salt in the wound....

wallace certainly has it sussed i reckon, speed, speed and more speed..... ;)

what he has learnt in his time out of the game is gonna be of interest, and speed is definately a huge ingredient..... ;)

I see there isn't a training update for today's (Jan 14 session at Vicpark) on here. Although most on here bag PRE, they have a full update on today's session. Suggest u go & have a look. Good reading.

Go Tiges!!!

tigertRANCE said:
I see there isn't a training update for today's (Jan 14 session at Vicpark) on here. Although most on here bag PRE, they have a full update on today's session. Suggest u go & have a look. Good reading.

Go Tiges!!!

Because everyone went to the cricket :cool:

The following guys missed the game they played 2x15min 1/2's. Hartigan, Schulz hammy again, Stafford, Hall, Moore, Newman, Hilton, Bowden and Coughlan.They all trained then did extra running.
Richo sooked his way to 1 goal and beaten by Rix, Jackson gave Brown a touch up as did Gaspar who looks back v Campbell and Simmonds did little same for Deleido. Tried Rodan in midfield, Meyer lloks good and McGuane did well kied a few goals.
Raines/Roach and Tambling all play RD1 4 sure. Graham solid down back and the B team won 8 goals to 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back