News Tigers back Shai to be a bolter after he starts to 'get it'

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummmm. He’s been playing for years and done nothing. Literally.

Higgins went past him like it was nothing.
You make it sound like he's been on the list for 5-6 years
He's been on the list for 2 years as a very underaged player, Higgins had the physical development to play AFL in his first year, Bolton didn't

I'm backing Shai in. If he has got his mind to where it needs to be it's going to be a bloody exciting year. He has the best tool bag of any of our smalls. Was going to say he could be the next Eddie Betts but then thought thats limiting him.
Eddie Betts got more than 1yr deals

Don’t know why people have turned on the kid so quick. He is a young player that is learning that has more experienced players ahead of him. It’s not as if he has been on our list for years and done nothing.

I think the fact that he looks just like Nick Krygios doesn't help the perception lol

The most interesting thing in that article imo was the line suggesting Rioli and Higgins may be getting more time in the midfield.

Yep. Perhaps this is why we lost so much midfield depth. The plan is to use Rioli, Higgins and Bolton as that extra midfield depth. Which is a huge step up in class over the guys that have left. Rioli has star written all over him. Snags just looks the part - the more midfield he player the better he was. And Shai has the ability to start paying midfield minutes, hopefully turning that into a full time role over the next coupe of years.

Will be a 200 gamer at richmond, just like shane edwards
Took shane a few years b4 he really blossomed into a star
Shai is tracking nicely at such a young age ,, shai has time on his side,,,,
Great article very pleased

You've watched him a lot in the VFL, so I'm very reassured that you think this.

lmaoo some of you guys are douche lords

Sooking he "hasnt done anything" 2 years in, he was always going to be a slow burn the kid was/is a rake with no tank. Ever wondered why he shows flashes of utter brilliance and then disappears?

He WILL make it, and he will be a gun.

i just get the feeling with this guy that it is just a matter of time before he shoots through back home ....
Yer same.
It will be interesting next year now that his 2 good mates in Stengle & Chol have gone.
Hopefully he can play 15+ games next year.
He reminds me a lot of Shedda but with even more natural talent.

His talents are obvious and really shouldn't l be questioned, its more a perspective that we have of him looking from the outside. He's obviously shy, reminds me a bit of dusty where people have him pegged as arrogant when he clearly doesn't have the greatest confidence dealing with the public.

I was more concerned about the cap being mentioned at the end of the article (not that it's a secret it's tight)

You can’t expect every player to come on at exactly the same speed, some take longer.
Don’t go using our big man excuse for not performing; you need to come up with another excuse for the short people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing Shai in. If he has got his mind to where it needs to be it's going to be a bloody exciting year. He has the best tool bag of any of our smalls. Was going to say he could be the next Eddie Betts but then thought thats limiting him.
If he can translate that midfield form from vfl late in the season into the midfield or wing at afl i see him more as a tyson edwards. Way to skilled to be just a small forward. But gotta learn not to go for every scremer. Stay down apply the pressure chase etc

We all love the potential of Shai's X factor - the excitement of the freakish things.
However most important is for him to develop footballing 101 principles - this is what will make him a player.

Think he will!

You can’t expect every player to come on at exactly the same speed, some take longer.

By the sounds of it, it’s his approach to his preparation. Higgins a known fanatic about his.

That’s the difference.

By the sounds of it, it’s his approach to his preparation. Higgins a known fanatic about his.

That’s the difference.

Everyone’s different

You don’t just delist a player after two years because another player on the list is more fanatic about preparation than him.

Don’t know why people have turned on the kid so quick. He is a young player that is learning that has more experienced players ahead of him. It’s not as if he has been on our list for years and done nothing.

I wouldn't say I turned on him, but I started wondering if he'd be an AFL-level player last year after seeing some 5 step "chases" at VFL level. That is, 5 very quick steps chasing the oppo, then hands on hips, turned his back on the ball (even if it was within 10 metres) and walked to the goal square with his back to the play. I don't think I'm alone when I say it had a touch of the Tyrones about it.

If that's a lack of stamina, then it can and will be fixed. If that's a touch of the Tyrones, well... It's probably terminal. Only Shai really knows which it is. Might be why his so polarising.

Weirdly enough, the further back Bolton was played, the less his lack of sustained defensive efforts mattered. Ripped it up on the wing and HBF late in the VFL season.

We all want to see him play 200 AFL games in Yellow and Black. Here's hoping he puts the kms into his legs this off-season and has a break-out year.

(Another skinny and talented kid, Naish, might come under some similar scrutiny and criticism next season, if he doesn't crack into the senior team.)

You've watched him a lot in the VFL, so I'm very reassured that you think this.
Cheers, he has the talent , the trick bag is full, has explosive pace
And a leap that makes him play taller than he is, natural instinctive footballer,
2017 game against the swans his first quarter was electrifying,,this year in the 2s he played more midfield, wing,, was good in the center square,
Has questions over tank and endurance, the club knew this when they drafted him, was always going to take a few years b4 he would play regular senior footy ( to many tiger fans so impatient ) moving interstate at only 18 takes a while to settle into a new environment its not that easy on one so young,,,,,
,hes doing all this extra work while on holidays . Shows he is dedicated to his craft and to the club and his teammates,, and to us as well,, have seen him tare it apart in the 2s, and with a 3rd pre season under his belt, he may just be ready to give it a red hot go, in the seniors,, and when he does the MCG will be rocking

Cheers, he has the talent , the trick bag is full, has explosive pace
And a leap that makes him play taller than he is, natural instinctive footballer,
2017 game against the swans his first quarter was electrifying,,this year in the 2s he played more midfield, wing,, was good in the center square,
Has questions over tank and endurance, the club knew this when they drafted him, was always going to take a few years b4 he would play regular senior footy ( to many tiger fans so impatient ) moving interstate at only 18 takes a while to settle into a new environment its not that easy on one so young,,,,,
,hes doing all this extra work while on holidays . Shows he is dedicated to his craft and to the club and his teammates,, and to us as well,, have seen him tare it apart in the 2s, and with a 3rd pre season under his belt, he may just be ready to give it a red hot go, in the seniors,, and when he does the MCG will be rocking

I read your VFL reports, and others, and found the comments on Shai going in the midfield really interesting. Usually it's the really good players that are more comfortable in the midfield than elsewhere. So I've got hope he'll step up. He knows that there is space for him if he can turn it on regularly. Here's hoping.

I read your VFL reports, and others, and found the comments on Shai going in the midfield really interesting. Usually it's the really good players that are more comfortable in the midfield than elsewhere. So I've got hope he'll step up. He knows that there is space for him if he can turn it on regularly. Here's hoping.
He definitley won a few clearances while he was in there, i think wing high half forward will be his best position ,,id love to see him shadow sheda over the summer, hope he can learn a thing or three off him,, , im very excited about little bakes as well , he can certainly find the pill at reserves level , just needz a bit of time and confidence and he could be very handy,,, so impressed with our recruiting over the last few years,.. ,,,
Remember watching shai play on the wing against vic in the u-18s carnival , gees he was good
Didnt think we would get with our pick , being second round,, so glad we did,
Have nfi what will happen next year , but boy we will be exciting ,, go tiges

(Another skinny and talented kid, Naish, might come under some similar scrutiny and criticism next season, if he doesn't crack into the senior team.)
Stop trying to write off our kids so bloody quickly, we are not at a list stage where our kids need to break into the team by the end of their first contract, especially when we know that they are going to take some years of physical development.
The fact that Naish went through a period in his first year where he was getting 30+ disposals at VFL level would suggest that they can see he is worth persisting with, even if he doesn't get a game for the seniors in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Tigers back Shai to be a bolter after he starts to 'get it'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back