Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Richmond will believe it is perfectly placed to head to the national draft with a phenomenal six selections in the first 21 draft picks as the club’s trades for three outgoing stars take shape.

The AFL’s free agency period kicks off on Friday, with compensation for St Kilda over Josh Battle’s departure the most intriguing question mark given a six-year Hawks offer of just under $900,000 a season.

But Richmond’s monumental decision to allow contracted players Shai Bolton (Fremantle) and Daniel Rioli (Gold Coast) to leave will shape the trade period, which runs from October 7-16.

Uncontracted vice-captain Liam Baker is also on the move but is yet to officially select a home as he chooses between West Coast and Fremantle.

Some of those players made clear as they departed that coach Adem Yze needed to take more control of a young group with more discipline and a defined game plan as well as working on his existing strong relationships.

[PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD] is Western Australia bound. Picture: Getty Images

Liam Baker is Western Australia bound. Picture: Getty Images

There was a level of frustration that some players old and younger were allowed too many liberties around their professionalism and adherence to game plan.

The club is aware of the player feedback, even though senior players were also frustrated at Bolton playing on instinct and diverting from the game plan at times.

Departing chief executive Brendon Gale made clear in a recent podcast that Yze was prepared to “take a lot more responsibility” and “start to really put his fingerprints on this team” in 2025.

While Richmond is yet to lock in trades with rival clubs the centrepiece of those trades will allow Richmond to secure of footy’s best draft hauls in recent memory excluding expansion sides.

Richmond has asked Gold Coast for their No. 6 pick and another early selection for Rioli and while that seems a ridiculous ambit claim the Suns are prepared to hand over their No. 6 pick as part of a deal.

[PLAYERCARD]Daniel Rioli[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] are likely on the move. Picture: Getty Images

Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton are likely on the move. Picture: Getty Images

Fremantle is prepared to offer one of picks 9 or 10 for Bolton (contracted to 2028) and the Dockers’ No. 16 pick but not both of picks 9 and 10.

The Dockers are still hopeful Baker might choose the Dockers, which would see them use picks 9 or 10 to secure the 26-year-old.

But if Baker eventually chooses West Coast, the Tigers are likely to secure Hawthorn’s No. 13 draft pick after the Eagles secure it in a trade for Tom Barrass.

So while all of those deals could yet have many other elements — including Richmond even handing back later picks — the Tigers will believe they can secure four picks within 16 for that trio.

With their own picks currently 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72, it will give Richmond six picks within 21.

Early bids on Brisbane’s Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast’s Leo Lombard will push out some of Richmond’s draft selections.

But on draft night if the Tigers keep those picks they could hope to have two of the first seven picks, four of the top 15 picks and seven of the top 35 picks given they also retain pick 29.

If the Tigers can use picks like 29, 39, 41 and 47 and trade them to a club like the Suns or Gold Coast for an earlier to use for academy players they can again strengthen their draft hand.

[PLAYERCARD]Adem Yze[/PLAYERCARD] has a big task ahead of him at Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

Adem Yze has a big task ahead of him at Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

Gale told a club podcast in August he was confident Yze would put his imprint on the club next year as it quickly bounced back up the ladder.

“We have had a coach come in. And we believe he’s extremely capable and he’s carried himself extremely well but it’s fair to say he comes into the program which has been successful,” he said.

“He is following a coach of historical standing (Damien Hardwick) and he has premiership players everywhere, and I reckon he’s just sat back a bit, coupled with an incredibly unprecedented run of injury. And what you will see of Adam next year is a coach that takes a lot more responsibility.

“This is his team and he will intervene and poke and prod and start to really put his fingerprints on the team which will create its own energy and momentum.

“At this stage there is an opportunity to turn this club around in a couple of years. We have a really strong platform, a strong organisation, a culture and shared understanding of what it takes and our own supporters understand what it takes. It’s not reacting, it’s making evidence-based decisions and we will be back in no time.”

Richmond will believe it is perfectly placed to head to the national draft with a phenomenal six selections in the first 21 draft picks as the club’s trades for three outgoing stars take shape.

The AFL’s free agency period kicks off on Friday, with compensation for St Kilda over Josh Battle’s departure the most intriguing question mark given a six-year Hawks offer of just under $900,000 a season.

But Richmond’s monumental decision to allow contracted players Shai Bolton (Fremantle) and Daniel Rioli (Gold Coast) to leave will shape the trade period, which runs from October 7-16.

Uncontracted vice-captain Liam Baker is also on the move but is yet to officially select a home as he chooses between West Coast and Fremantle.

Some of those players made clear as they departed that coach Adem Yze needed to take more control of a young group with more discipline and a defined game plan as well as working on his existing strong relationships.

There was a level of frustration that some players old and younger were allowed too many liberties around their professionalism and adherence to game plan.

The club is aware of the player feedback, even though senior players were also frustrated at Bolton playing on instinct and diverting from the game plan at times.

Departing chief executive Brendon Gale made clear in a recent podcast that Yze was prepared to “take a lot more responsibility” and “start to really put his fingerprints on this team” in 2025.

While Richmond is yet to lock in trades with rival clubs the centrepiece of those trades will allow Richmond to secure of footy’s best draft hauls in recent memory excluding expansion sides.

Richmond has asked Gold Coast for their No. 6 pick and another early selection for Rioli and while that seems a ridiculous ambit claim the Suns are prepared to hand over their No. 6 pick as part of a deal.

Fremantle is prepared to offer one of picks 9 or 10 for Bolton (contracted to 2028) and the Dockers’ No. 16 pick but not both of picks 9 and 10.

The Dockers are still hopeful Baker might choose the Dockers, which would see them use picks 9 or 10 to secure the 26-year-old.

But if Baker eventually chooses West Coast, the Tigers are likely to secure Hawthorn’s No. 13 draft pick after the Eagles secure it in a trade for Tom Barrass.

So while all of those deals could yet have many other elements — including Richmond even handing back later picks — the Tigers will believe they can secure four picks within 16 for that trio.

With their own picks currently 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72, it will give Richmond six picks within 21.

Early bids on Brisbane’s Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast’s Leo Lombard will push out some of Richmond’s draft selections.

But on draft night if the Tigers keep those picks they could hope to have two of the first seven picks, four of the top 15 picks and seven of the top 35 picks given they also retain pick 29.

If the Tigers can use picks like 29, 39, 41 and 47 and trade them to a club like the Suns or Gold Coast for an earlier to use for academy players they can again strengthen their draft hand.

Gale told a club podcast in August he was confident Yze would put his imprint on the club next year as it quickly bounced back up the ladder.

“We have had a coach come in. And we believe he’s extremely capable and he’s carried himself extremely well but it’s fair to say he comes into the program which has been successful,” he said.

“He is following a coach of historical standing (Damien Hardwick) and he has premiership players everywhere, and I reckon he’s just sat back a bit, coupled with an incredibly unprecedented run of injury. And what you will see of Adam next year is a coach that takes a lot more responsibility.

“This is his team and he will intervene and poke and prod and start to really put his fingerprints on the team which will create its own energy and momentum.

“At this stage there is an opportunity to turn this club around in a couple of years. We have a really strong platform, a strong organisation, a culture and shared understanding of what it takes and our own supporters understand what it takes. It’s not reacting, it’s making evidence-based decisions and we will be back in no time.”

What is this amateur hour? Can’t even spell Adem’s name right. 6 picks in the top 21 with no pick 2/3 mentioned, I farted and got a better draft haul. Also, which one is it Suns or Gold Coast we’ll be trading up with?

What is this amateur hour? Can’t even spell Adem’s name right. 6 picks in the top 21 with no pick 2/3 mentioned, I farted and got a better draft haul. Also, which one is it Suns or Gold Coast we’ll be trading up with?
Sounds like it was written by an oppo fan boy insisting Richmond settle for less in negotiations. Well they can GAGF.

Maybe we can play the Suns and Gold Coast off against eachother in a bidding war?

Gale is delusional if he thinks we are turning this around in a couple of years, it really shows how much the club lost it's way towards the end of his time.

"Fremantle is prepared to offer one of picks 9 or 10 for Bolton (contracted to 2028) and the Dockers’ No. 16 pick but not both of picks 9 and 10."

Richmond is prepared to tell Freo to GAGF.
Zero chance we except that. Pick 16 will end up being in the 20's.

I've felt all along that Freo will be absolute campaigners to deal with. We'll see trade time, but I suspect it will either draw out until the end of trade period or even fall over all together.
No doubt they'll be working out an alternative plan with West Coast, which will piss the Bolton camp off and place pressure on Freo.

Mini WC coach

they are desperate to hype it up are they not??

It is not extraordinary and up to pick 21, lol?? like WTF???

establishment getting desperate and want RFC fans to suffer more while pumping up Freo

Contrary to Geelong fans RFC fans are expected to cop sucker punches time and time again

**** Freo. Hand over 9 and 10 for Bolton or we'll start dealing with pick 3 from West Coast and everything else they have.

A perennial loser of a club that for the maybe only the second time, are knocking on the door of a potential premiership window and they want to fluff around over 6 draft positions over a player that could very well be their cherry on top of a strong forward line.

9 & 16? No Get ****ed.

Thats the only part of that article i don't like. I don't even like 9 & 10.

I can see the trade being held up by this one if Freo dont budge.

Worst case if we get pick 13 for Baker, I could possibly be swayed if we trade pick 13 for 16.

so, Richmond gets picks 9,10,16 Freo get Bolton & 13

Gale is delusional if he thinks we are turning this around in a couple of years, it really shows how much the club lost it's way towards the end of his time.
I remember the same sentiment back in 2010.

9 & 16? No Get ****ed.

Worst case if we get pick 13 for Baker, I could possibly be swayed if we trade pick 13 for 16.

Sick It'S Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

9 & 16? No Get ****ed.

What? Read your post again... it makes no sense. If we had pick 13 already, why wouldn't be just accept 9 and 10. They can keep pick 16 and we keep pick 13. They won't give up 16 for a 3 pick upgrade and if they would, we wouldn't accept it.

We'll pay as much of his salary for 2 years to get the picks we want.

What? Read your post again... it makes no sense. If we had pick 13 already, why wouldn't be just accept 9 and 10. They can keep pick 16 and we keep pick 13. They won't give up 16 for a 3 pick upgrade and if they would, we wouldn't accept it.

We'll pay as much of his salary for 2 years to get the picks we want.

I get what your saying I was only talking from a perspective that Freo only offer us 9 & 16 for Bolton. (Which is shit and I don't even want to accept 9 & 10).
If we get 13 for Baker then that would mean we only get 9, 13 & 16 for Bolton & Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what your saying I was only talking from a perspective that Freo only offer us 9 & 16 for Bolton. (Which is shit and I don't even want to accept 9 & 10).
If we get 13 for Baker then that would mean we only get 9, 13 & 16 for Bolton & Baker.
In your scenario we get 9-10-16 for Bolton-Baker-13

In what world is that better than 9-13-16 for Bolton-Baker?

It basically means that you give up pick 13 for a 3 spot upgrade to 10.

In your scenario we get 9-10-16 for Bolton-Baker-13

In what world is that better than 9-13-16 for Bolton-Baker?

It basically means that you give up pick 13 for a 3 spot upgrade to 10.

But losing the same. Anyway is just highlighting how shit the offer of pick 9 & 16 really is.

I remember the same sentiment back in 2010.

That was over a 10-year period. not a couple of years.
We still had some tough times as well losing 3 finals in a row.

Still one of the great calls of all time. my biggest fear is it takes not only another 10 years to win another flag but another 20-30 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. TIGERS IN LINE FOR EXTRAORDINARY DRAFT BOUNTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back