Restricted Free Agent Tim English [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he's quite good at directing a hitout to his teams advantage...when he wins one. The problem is he doesn't win that many given how many ruck contests he attends

His hit out win percentage is below (and only including actual rucks) Darcy, Cox, O'Brien, Witts, Sweet, Nankervis, Gawn, Goldstein, Grundy, Soldo, Meek , Xerri, Moyle, Visentini, McInerney, Cameron and Reeves

I'm not doubting he's a good player, his ideal role would be tall fwd/backup ruck imo. But he's not the sort you pay up big dollars for imo and I reckon more and more are realising it

He’s not worth anything above a mil, I agree with you there for sure. I’d be disappointed if our offer is above that.

He kicks most of his goals while in the ruck. Other than a short period at the start of 2021 he's been unconvincing as a forward

You're going against the grain with that call
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

he has a decent hitout to advantage % when he does win the hitout

think dogs need him more than their supporters would like to admit. does a bit of work letting them play effectively only 2 key defenders a lot of the time as english will drop back to intercept... almost like stanley for geelong in 2022. his value for other teams would be comparatively less.

Cameron is 31 and can play forward. Gawn is the same age and have been trying to rest him forward when possible. Grundy couldn't rotate with Gawn because Grundy was poor in the forward line while Gawn was rucking. He had to be rotated on the bench and that made things difficult for the Dees.

I think Draper has still more to give but he's been put out because Scott is playing favorites with Goldy atm and Wright is playing that fwd/ruck role. Draper can improve with goldy rucking like English did when Martin was bought in. Dons don't need to sell the farm for English. They just need to develop Draper.

As for Forcing a trade. It would be better if dons traded out players like Parish, Bryan &/or Draper to other clubs then on trade their picks for a good first round and maybe Baldwin if Reid is untouchable.
Darcy Cameron is 28.

It’s unfortunate for English but I reckon clubs won’t want to offer him a long term deal given his concussion history. There is not enough clarity around salary cap implications for career ending concussions. I hope he plays out his career without issue but any sort of doubts make it a tricky trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really understand why other clubs aren't keen.

Tom De Koning is having a terrific year, but statistically this is how he compares to Tim English this season.

1719309701417.png

Tom De Koning is having a terrific year, but statistically this is how he compares to Tim English this season.

View attachment 2030164
Might be his concussion history? He also wants $1mil per year for 6 years

Apparently Dogs have a 5 year contract in front of him.

Are you serious? Your ruck division is terrible. Please don't tell me Matt Flynn is better. Then you've got Bailey Williams who is also not very good and more suited as a forward/2nd ruck.

English would be in your top 5 players if he came to west coast
He doesn't really solve the hitout and ruck contest issue.

Plus we have too many talls on the list as it is.

Hes miles ahead of all your talls. You delist the deadwood and upgrade..
Not really. He's good around the ground but he's not that much chop in the actual ruck.

Don't really want the club chasing a ruckman that gets bullied at stoppages and pays him over $1mil per year for the privilege.

Might be his concussion history? He also wants $1mil per year for 6 years

Apparently Dogs have a 5 year contract in front of him.
Yeah potentially. I reckon clubs would be lining up to pay De Koning one mill per season so I assume it is the concussion concerns.

He’s actually a bog average ruckman. Soft in the contest. It’s his work around the ground that sets him apart. Like an extra tall midfielder that can drift forward or back.
Not ideal, but he's better than what WC currently have and they have the cap space so why not use it? Unless they are locked in on using the cap space on the likes of Warner and Baker, where else is it going to be spent?

View attachment 2030164
TDK's game has gone up a notch or two over the past handful of games - season averages probably don't align with what people are now talking up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back