Restricted Free Agent Tim English [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not ideal, but he's better than what WC currently have and they have the cap space so why not use it? Unless they are locked in on using the cap space on the likes of Warner and Baker, where else is it going to be spent?
Does he suit your age profile though? He’ll be 27 next year, would you honestly see your mob contending in the next 4-5 years?

Does he suit your age profile though? He’ll be 27 next year, would you honestly see your mob contending in the next 4-5 years?
I would think at worst WC should be contending in 4 years. When Reid, Ginbey, Hewett and another gun mid from this years draft are 20-21, there will be no excuse not to be good with the entire midfield being first round picks

I would think at worst WC should be contending in 4 years. When Reid, Ginbey, Hewett and another gun mid from this years draft are 20-21, there will be no excuse not to be good with the entire midfield being first round picks
Fair enough. TBH I wouldn’t be overly upset to see him go. We have a plethora of talls and with Darcy coming on nicely and Croft yet to debut we could use the compensation to replenish our midfield, trade for a KPD (?Barrass) or target another small forward. Those are the missing pieces of the puzzle for us to have another crack at a flag whilst Bont is still in his prime.

I don't really understand why other clubs aren't keen.

Tom De Koning is having a terrific year, but statistically this is how he compares to Tim English this season.

View attachment 2030164
The problem is the price.

eg. I'd have no problem with North getting Tim English for 650k. He could play a variety of roles around the ground. But he's not a damaging game winner deserving an 800k+ salary. And he's looking for that kind of top salary.

I don't really understand why other clubs aren't keen.

Tom De Koning is having a terrific year, but statistically this is how he compares to Tim English this season.

View attachment 2030164
Bearing in mind these are skewed a bit because TDK has played a handful of games as 2nd ruck to Pittonet, the big ones for me are contested possessions and clearances.

English is good at what he does, but he’s an outside player. I don’t believe that translates to the ruck position overly well. For the record I’m also not a huge TDK fan

English, if he is to move, he needs to go to a club where his addition would take them to the next level, like grundy to Syd.

Carlton makes sense as a top class ruck could be their final missing piece.

Hawk would also make sense but that's only if they could also get battle and smith, then plus enligsh, hawk would become a lower top 8 side.

As for the other sides, he's either the wrong age bracket or the other teams don't require another ruck.

English, if he is to move, he needs to go to a club where his addition would take them to the next level, like grundy to Syd.

Carlton makes sense as a top class ruck could be their final missing piece.

Hawk would also make sense but that's only if they could also get battle and smith, then plus enligsh, hawk would become a lower top 8 side.

As for the other sides, he's either the wrong age bracket or the other teams don't require another ruck.

Errrr.

TDK just produced the best month from an AFL ruckman in CD records.

I think they are fine there.

Still waiting to hear of any offer he has in front of him from another club. It’s always “Eagles are keen” as opposed to any dollars attached.

True answer is English is better then any ruck we have, but he isnt 1 mill per year better for us, nor is he a difference maker. If we are going to spend 1 mill a year on someone, it needs to be a midfielder
Not many out there that you can give Mil without giving up a first round pick. Eagles ain’t in a position to do that.

English can help the mid but least type of ruck they need. Non physical and doesn’t want to get his hands dirty.

Gotta pay someone I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having any excuse, and it actually happening are two different things though.

Reid will be a superstar, and could hypothetically carry that midfield on his back in a couple of years.

The other two though are just standard young mids, which almost every club has at their disposal at the moment.

Not having any excuse, and it actually happening are two different things though.

Reid will be a superstar, and could hypothetically carry that midfield on his back in a couple of years.

The other two though are just standard young mids, which almost every club has at their disposal at the moment.
Hewett actually looks the better player than Ginbey but has not played for a long time due to injury

Hewett actually looks the better player than Ginbey but has not played for a long time due to injury
Agree with that, Hewett's the more natural footballer of the two. Sucks that he's missed this year and he does have talent.

I don't mind Ginbey and I think he'll make it, but he's more of an athlete than a footballer at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, they're good kids. I just don't think they're that different to what most sides have in their ranks right now. It's only really Richmond who haven't taken first round mids in recent times.

Reid is absolutely the point of difference that you build around, and hopefully you pick up another one with an early pick this year.

..Anyone want him? Someone? Free up some coin so the Dogs can get a competitive ruck-man who knows the word ''aggression''
Don’t think he is that keen to leave though. I reckon the Eagles would have a decent offer sitting there for him. Not sure it’s enough to get him to leave and they probably won’t go to those levels

If another club (or yours) offers this guy a long term big money contract they are BONKERS.

It sucks for Tim but he won’t get a 5 year plus mega deal.
I think that is the final hurdle, we are offering 5, he wants 6. Happy to bump the per year cash to avoid the contract going into a 6th year. It does seem he would bolt though if the Eagles came in with 6 years at $1m per.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back