Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different sort of players. I would need to see Cerra in his favoured position before I said anything. He has been chucked around everywhere and has had the odd good performance in amongst some disappointing ones. . Brayshaw is a hard nut and has shown some good signs but his kicking is inferior to his junior days.
if freo were to offer cats one of them in a kelly trade i think id rather cerra because of his ceiling, feel like theres plenty of guys around that can play brayshaws role

if freo were to offer cats one of them in a kelly trade i think id rather cerra because of his ceiling, feel like theres plenty of guys around that can play brayshaws role
I think that's the general feeling, but we haven't really seen it yet. Except maybe small glimpses in certain games. People will project forward from his junior days in the midfield, which is fair enough.

I think that's the general feeling, but we haven't really seen it yet. Except maybe small glimpses in certain games. People will project forward from his junior days in the midfield, which is fair enough.
would be a lot easier for him playing in the geelong midfield

lets say that the cats get 2 firsts for kelly, i think theyd offer thier own first and the lesser of the 2 they get for kelly for Shuey. this trade would never happen but i think they'd do it if it was offered to them by the eagles

If that happened I imagine a lot of Geelong fans would be pretty filthy. Giving up two first round picks for a guy that is 29 when you have Danger, Selwood and Ablett the same age or older would be a head scratcher.

But yeah Shuey is under contract and a long time settled here.

If that happened I imagine a lot of Geelong fans would be pretty filthy. Giving up two first round picks for a guy that is 29 when you have Danger, Selwood and Ablett the same age or older would be a head scratcher.

But yeah Shuey is under contract and a long time settled here.

That would not be very smart from us as you say (not that it would ever happen anyway) but assuming Kelly goes our priority would be finding someone to replace his role in the midfield, at least partially. Ablett is no longer a midfielder, Selwood is being phased out of the midfield and we only want to use Danger in bursts in the middle. This has worked well for us this year primarily because Kelly is playing so well as the main midfielder. His departure will expose our midfield a bit.

That would not be very smart from us as you say (not that it would ever happen anyway) but assuming Kelly goes our priority would be finding someone to replace his role in the midfield, at least partially. Ablett is no longer a midfielder, Selwood is being phased out of the midfield and we only want to use Danger in bursts in the middle. This has worked well for us this year primarily because Kelly is playing so well as the main midfielder. His departure will expose our midfield a bit.

I think that was the reason behind the suggestions that Jack Steven would go to Geelong. He's 29 this year also and while he has barely featured this year is a 4 time B&F winner at the Saints. He'd be a good acquisition if physically/mentally right, but you wouldn't give up first round picks for him.

There's nothing wrong with the Cats looking for a ready made replacement for Kelly and if they've budgeted for him from 2020 onward and he's not there that's also a salary cap pickle. I do think it's pretty unlikely you'll find anyone as good, and if he is traded for our picks for example then they aren't that enticing to a club with a contracted player. The only way I see Geelong having any kind of win out of the whole thing is if they can somehow convince Stephen Coniglio to go there. He's the only player I can think of that is potentially available that ticks all the boxes and is worth handing over multiple picks for.

I think that was the reason behind the suggestions that Jack Steven would go to Geelong. He's 29 this year also and while he has barely featured this year is a 4 time B&F winner at the Saints. He'd be a good acquisition if physically/mentally right, but you wouldn't give up first round picks for him.

There's nothing wrong with the Cats looking for a ready made replacement for Kelly and if they've budgeted for him from 2020 onward and he's not there that's also a salary cap pickle. I do think it's pretty unlikely you'll find anyone as good, and if he is traded for our picks for example then they aren't that enticing to a club with a contracted player. The only way I see Geelong having any kind of win out of the whole thing is if they can somehow convince Stephen Coniglio to go there. He's the only player I can think of that is potentially available that ticks all the boxes and is worth handing over multiple picks for.

Agree with all that and I think we will make a play for Jack Steven but not at a high cost considering age and issues. The net result will be a weaker team next year, I would be taking the picks we from the Eagles and our own and digging into the draft with a view to four or so years down the track when Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett, Taylor, maybe Danger will be gone. But depends how Wells rates this draft.

Agree with all that and I think we will make a play for Jack Steven but not at a high cost considering age and issues. The net result will be a weaker team next year, I would be taking the picks we from the Eagles and our own and digging into the draft with a view to four or so years down the track when Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett, Taylor, maybe Danger will be gone. But depends how Wells rates this draft.

I would be doing likewise, but we'll see how it plays out. Geelong haven't been in the position of having multiple first round picks, even if they aren't great ones. You could easily end up with 3 picks inside 20 this year or next depending on wants.

I can't think of any like for like replacements for Kelly but let's say you tried to get someone like Ollie Wines or Zac Merrett who are around the same age. You'd end up stuck trying to get the best you can for a player that wants to leave while trying to convince a club to let a player go that they don't have to. Horrible bargaining position.

He seems really really highly valued. I'd ask for 2 top 10 picks or Nick Naitinui with the Eagles paying some of his salary. Naitinui has little years left but could snag us a premiership if he's healthy at the right time.

There is no way geelong is giving up a R1 for a player that is currently unable to get on the field. Stk have a choice to trade out him and his cap space or they keep him and his cap for another year which they are entitled to .. and he may or may not play. He is a UFA in 2020. So id say the absolute best they get is a R2.. but at 29/30 he is no replacement for TK.

The thing about West Coast offering unders is Geelong can refuse. Then Kelly would go into the draft and likely be recruited by Gold Coast. Paid nothing for a year whilst having to play another stellar season to keep his currency up.

I don't see how the Eagles can think they'll get away with a pick 20 or whatever it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about West Coast offering unders is Geelong can refuse. Then Kelly would go into the draft and likely be recruited by Gold Coast. Paid nothing for a year whilst having to play another stellar season to keep his currency up.

I don't see how the Eagles can think they'll get away with a pick 20 or whatever it is
He'll nominate a salary of over a million $ pa, that will scare most off.

That’s cute.

There is no way geelong is giving up a R1 for a player that is currently unable to get on the field. Stk have a choice to trade out him and his cap space or they keep him and his cap for another year which they are entitled to .. and he may or may not play. He is a UFA in 2020. So id say the absolute best they get is a R2.. but at 29/30 he is no replacement for TK.
This is typical Geelong . Give nothing . Demand everything .

And with the AFL looking for levers to pull to help GCS, TK in the draft going to GCS would fill the AFL with glee.

They would be falling over them selves to see it happen and Gil couldn't rubber stamp it fast enough.

GO Catters

Gold Coast are trying to create a culture of players wanting to go and stay there. I don't think drafting Kelly against his wishes would help that, even though he would be their best player.
For the first time ever I'm doubting if the GC is viable, they must be bleeding AFL money with no end in sight.

For the first time ever I'm doubting if the GC is viable, they must be bleeding AFL money with no end in sight.

They've got problems on every front unfortunately. But the AFL have sunk squillions into the project and participation is up in the region so they won't back out. It's been a graveyard for sports teams for 30 years, the best thing going for the Sun's right now is how badly the Titans are going. The NRL won't prop them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back