Tim Kelly's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he surprised everyone to an extent including the Cats, with just how good he was from the word go. The Cats were prepared to draft Lachie Forgarty a few picks earlier, who never really showed much (and is now a bit part player at Carlton obviously), so it wasn't like they had Kelly at the absolute front of their minds at the time either. Despite being mature age, I think he would have likely gone top 15 if it were known just how good he'd be straight away.

Animated GIF

Believe it or not I think some AFL players prioritise making as much money as possible from their career over winning a premiership.

If Kelly stayed at Geelong it doesn't automatically mean he plays in the 2022 grand final, he may have got injured..
Kelly could have gone to Fremantle and our club were more than willing to negotiate with them.
I know there was beef with Ross Lyon and Brad Hill but they were both gone from Fremantle at the end of 2019, which is when Kelly was traded to West Coast.
Kelly would be having regrets about not going to Fremantle given the current state of affairs he finds himself in at West Coast.

As for the what if about Kelly staying with us, there's no way we would have been able to get Cameron without the picks we got from the Kelly trade.
It's highly unlikely we win the flag without Cameron so no regrets from our end at all.

Family should always come first before footy.

Geelong supporters should no longer be mad at Telly, they couldn't have gotten Jeremy Cameron without the picks they got from West Coast in this deal.
I’ll speak for myself and say I never was mad at him, or any player tbh that wants to leave, if anyone wants to leave for whatever reason let them go and just focus on what you can get for them & work with what you’ve got. As proved when we lost the great Gary Ablett Jnr (for basically nothing in return) clubs are bigger than any individual, & success can still be achieved.

You really don’t have any comprehension of how these things work do you

keep in mind this was 2019.... So things can change in 2 or 3 seasons.

Tim Kelly at the time though west coast were still good, in which they were as they still made finals in 2020, while on the other hand dockers were rebuilding into a finals contender.

I’ll speak for myself and say I never was mad at him, or any player tbh that wants to leave, if anyone wants to leave for whatever reason let them go and just focus on what you can get for them & work with what you’ve got. As proved when we lost the great Gary Ablett Jnr (for basically nothing in return) clubs are bigger than any individual, & success can still be achieved.

We dont know the players personal situations on why players wanted to leave certain clubs.

Yes Gary Ablett Junior partially left for the cash. but it was to help her sick sister. And yes I was aware he returned back to Geelong a few years later as her sister passed away too.

If a certain player wants to head back to their home state to help a sick relative, then I think that is a reasonable choice.

I wont knock on Tim Kelly either with 2 kids with austism or any illness or phyical or mental problems. Tim Kelly wanted best for the family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won't regret anything, but every major decision in life comes with grief knowing that you have turned down a different opportunity.

So there will be some grief over possibly missing a premiership, but I sincerely doubt he will regret his decision altogether.

Family first, especially your kids, over everything else, always.

re: Deledio, Vickery, Conca etc - my honest opinion is that we wouldn't have achieved premiership success with them at the club. Deledio was a great player but reportedly not a good cultural contributor at the club, probably the opposite, and his trade netted us Caddy who was a solid contributor both on & off field during those first few years.

He was a class act during the entire time he was at the Cats. Sucked it up when he was asked to honour his contract and played at an AA level. Now he's living where he wants to live, earning a truckload of money and playing in the AFL. He'll probably end up with 2-4 B&Fs with West Coast. Got nothing but love for the guy, but I don't think he needs anyone's sympathy.

He was a class act during the entire time he was at the Cats. Sucked it up when he was asked to honour his contract and played at an AA level. Now he's living where he wants to live, earning a truckload of money and playing in the AFL. He'll probably end up with 2-4 B&Fs with West Coast. Got nothing but love for the guy, but I don't think he needs anyone's sympathy.

I always have it on a basic level for anyone that is busting themselves in a team that is underperforming no matter how much they’re earning or how happy they are off the field.

If someone is putting in 100 per cent on the field, it proves one thing: that they are a competitor and if you’re a competitor you don’t want to be getting touched up every week. So I will always have sympathy for someone in that situation

Who cares. Gets to play footy and earn cash.
Take care of your family Tim.
Yep.

Pretty sure Tim Kelly goes to sleep at night fully contented with his wife and 3 children and doesn't lie awake for hours, wishing he had let them go so he could've concentrated on winning a premiership for Geelong.

His wife didn't want to live on the other side of the continent to her parents and siblings while she was having her babies.

Tim had no choice. Family comes first.

Anyway, the Cats used all the picks they got for Kelly to complete the Jeremy Cameron trade with the Giants.
Would they have even won the 2022 flag with Kelly and without Cameron ?

Last edited:
Yep.

Pretty sure Tim Kelly goes to sleep at night fully contented with his wife and 3 children and doesn't lie awake for hours, wishing he had let them go so he could've concentrated on winning a premiership for Geelong.

His wife didn't want to live on the other side of the continent to her parents and siblings while she was having her babies.

Tim had no choice. Family comes first.

Anyway, the Cats used all the picks they got for Kelly to complete the Jeremy Cameron trade with the Giants.
Would they have even won the 2022 flag with Kelly and without Cameron ?
Nail on the head with those bits.

Yes Tim Kellys wife didnt want to live in Victoria. Fair enough.

On the other hand, Fair play to tim kelly for being loyal to Geelong and stay There for 2 seasons.

Geelong were not screwed over in the trade table, they got something back in return.

I think the cats would of won the 2022 flag regardless.

This!

Pretty sure 99% of Cats fans weren't mad at all at him for going. His wife was raising young kids and it was on the other side of Australia away from her support system.

Cats tried everything to be accommodating and Tim played his hardest for us every week.
Definitely left on good terms, he got us Jezza, Max Holmes and a few others plus the 2022 Premiership.

Forever a TK fan <3

Happy wife, happy life.

Twins under 3 with special needs requires family support, you can’t fault Kelly for the move. And he was fantastic in a ball carrying inside role alongside Selwood and Danger. Without crash and bash midfielders supporting him he’s completely wasted.

100 %.
He did what was best for his kids over his career and you cant fault him for that. I doubt he regrets it.

He won't regret anything, but every major decision in life comes with grief knowing that you have turned down a different opportunity.

So there will be some grief over possibly missing a premiership, but I sincerely doubt he will regret his decision altogether.

Family first, especially your kids, over everything else, always.

re: Deledio, Vickery, Conca etc - my honest opinion is that we wouldn't have achieved premiership success with them at the club. Deledio was a great player but reportedly not a good cultural contributor at the club, probably the opposite, and his trade netted us Caddy who was a solid contributor both on & off field during those first few years.
Seriously? This is the first I’ve ever heard. I thought he was regarded as one of the nice guys???

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Kelly's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Back