Time to admit the floating fixture doesn't work

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole idea of the floating fixture was to ensure that "the better games" get "the good slots". For the purposes of this I'm gonna assume "the good slots" are the games that gets FTA coverage in Victoria.

This round Richmond v GWS will be on FTA while Bulldogs v Carlton yesterday was behind a paywall. Richmond who are now coming dead last and only had one win when the floating fixture was released.

Next round has Essendon v Adelaide as the prime time Friday night game while Brisbane Lions v Sydney will be behind a paywall. The Crows are nowhere near making finals and Essendon traditionally have late season slumps, while the Swans are clearly top of the ladder by some distance and the Lions could be a top four side by days end.

In round 23, Collingwood v Brisbane (the grand final rematch) and the showdown (a match that is always a big deal regardless of ladder position) will be paywalled, even though Collingwood v Brisbane would have almost certainly been on FTA had the fixture been set in stone before the start of the season, while St Kilda v Geelong will be on FTA despite the fact the Saints are nowhere near finals, along with Hawthorn v Richmond with Richmond fighting to avoid the spoon and while Hawks could make finals, they did lose their first five games and were unlikely to get anywhere near finals when the floating fixture was released.

The floating fixture is a stain on the AFL, it makes it hard for fans to plan travel or days off should someone work weekends or shifts, and it doesn't even ensure the best games get the best slots.

Edit: in round 22 Richmond v St Kilda is one of the designated FTA games, which further reinforces my whole point considering both teams were nowhere near the finals race when the floating fixture was released.

Last edited:
The whole idea of the floating fixture was to ensure that "the better games" get "the good slots". For the purposes of this I'm gonna assume "the good slots" are the games that gets FTA coverage in Victoria.

This round Richmond v GWS will be on FTA while Bulldogs v Carlton yesterday was behind a paywall. Richmond who are now coming dead last and only had one win when the floating fixture was released.

Next round has Essendon v Adelaide as the prime time Friday night game while Brisbane Lions v Sydney will be behind a paywall. The Crows are nowhere near making finals and Essendon traditionally have late season slumps, while the Swans are clearly top of the ladder by some distance and the Lions could be a top four side by days end.

In round 23, Collingwood v Brisbane (the grand final rematch) and the showdown (a match that is always a big deal regardless of ladder position) will be paywalled, even though Collingwood v Brisbane would have almost certainly been on FTA had the fixture been set in stone before the start of the season, while St Kilda v Geelong will be on FTA despite the fact the Saints are nowhere near finals, along with Hawthorn v Richmond with Richmond fighting to avoid the spoon and while Hawks could make finals, they did lose their first five games and were unlikely to get anywhere near finals when the floating fixture was released.

The floating fixture is a stain on the AFL, it makes it hard for fans to plan travel or days off should someone work weekends or shifts, and it doesn't even ensure the best games get the best slots.
It does work though.

Fox Footy paid the AFL heaps of money for broadcast rights and have asked for marquee games, the AFL have obliged and the floating fixture helps assure this.

The AFL doesn't give a sh*t about who can watch what on FTA, it cares about revenue.

It does work though.

Fox Footy paid the AFL heaps of money for broadcast rights and have asked for marquee games, the AFL have obliged and the floating fixture helps assure this.

The AFL doesn't give a sh*t about who can watch what on FTA, it cares about revenue.
If that's the case, in 2019 Fox got Brisbane v Geelong (1 v 2 at the time) and Richmond v West Coast (3 v 4) at the time in round 22 behind a paywall without a floating fixture. Which means the fixture should be set anyway.

Don't think you'd complain about Carlton not being free to air. I'm in WA but it seems like Carlton have had about 7 or 8 Thurs or Fri night games already. I'd actually prefer to see other teams play and not the same few teams every week. I get that I'm coming from a pure football perspective though and not the $$$ only lens that the AFL and network look through.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Edit: in round 22 Richmond v St Kilda is one of the designated FTA games, which further reinforces my whole point considering both teams were nowhere near the finals race when the floating fixture was released.
You make some good arguments. But I want to expand on 3 parts.

Paragraph 3. On the Essendon vs Adelaide point. That was a symptom of bad fixture to begin with, there's 3 Marvel Stadium games scheduled for that weekend. I think most neutrals would much rather watch Essendon vs Adelaide than St Kilda vs West Coast or Carlton vs North Melbourne.

Then to expand on the paragraph 3 comment re:paywall. This is only the case to 50% of the country. The other 50% (more likely to actually want to watch them) still get access to the game. It's a flawed concept which I do wish they get rid of as I believe it gives a financial and economic benefit to the Victorian clubs. But in simplistic terms, it does make sense.

ps. I do agree with the floating fixture being a problem. When the fixture comes out in November/December - Jump on and get flights for Fremantle and North Melbourne games. However, non-sports tourists have already bought inventory on airlines by the time the floating games have their times released. So it's not the best economics to buy by this time. So even though I had been looking at the Brisbane, Geelong and Essendon games, the cost was prohibitive. I hope the floating fixture *s off. I understand why the AFL does it on a tv perspective. But god does it * over the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to admit the floating fixture doesn't work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back