Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran RIP Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2010 Player Sponsor
Jan 2, 2007
McCrae
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
London Silly Nannies
Most of you fellas around this board know me, you've seen my attitude towards the game and our football club. I generally have a positive outlook on most things Collingwood and if I do have a problem with any issue at the football club I try to criticize it in a constructive sense.

I can handle a loss, I can handle a player being in poor form continuously, I can handle having a coach around that has failed to deliver a premiership in the 10 years he has been at the helm, and I can handle seeing players continually selected that seem to have no real future at our club as far as winning a premiership goes.

There is one thing I cannot handle when it comes to football, and in particular the football club I support, and that thing is a lack of passion and toughness and the willingness to fly the flag when needed.

I have been to all games in Melbourne this season which is 6 of the 7. I love to go to the footy, I will turn up whether we are winning, losing, have our best 22 players up and running, or blooding kids and giving opportunities to those whom are on the fringe of selection.

Now observing each game, only once this year have I noticed the passion and hardness that is required to win a game of football. And of course we won the game of football that we focused our attention on hard work and toughness highlighted by a crunching contest in the dieing minutes when the game was still on the line by one of our more senior players.

Unfortunately concerning the other 6 games we have been passionless. We lost a game we should've won against Adelaide (most likely a bottom 8 team this season), after a average first half against the worst football side in the comp, talent and experience got us over the line relatively easily, we then played good football for parts of the night against Geelong, but when the contest went up a notch in skill level and hardness we were exposed. That's ok, Geelong are a great unit, and then came the disaster, losing the unlosable game against a club known to be our 2nd biggest rival, not far behind the mob we play this week. And of course following that we played an injury ravaged side that the Carrum Downs Falcons could beat, but didn't look convincing at stages.

I had noticed a lack of aggression by most players on the field, and a lack of passion up to this stage, and then an incident that I can still not forget that occurred in the final quarter of last week.

Steven Baker attempting to take Dane Swan's head off on the boundary line, intern putting him in doubt for this week. Not a single player, not even the captain who is just about the only player showing toughness at the moment, went over to remonstrate with Baker. Granted we were well behind, and the game was almost over, but to me that is the most important time to show you have fight left in you. At least then when it comes to reading out the positives you can say to yourself, i looked after my team mate, so next time this happens to me, he will do the same. This is how you forge relationships on the field and learn to fight and care for each other out there whether off the field you think that blokes a w***er, or are dirty on him as he is boning your ex girlfriend.

In reality we were bullied last week by a side I don't rate as tough at this stage. That is the sad point for me.

Am I wrong? Maybe. Do I care if you disagree, no, but maybe we are to disciplined on the field, but if it happens for too long team coaches will start telling their players, hey, the pies are soft, they don't look after each other, put Dane Swan off his game because no one is going to protect him.

Well Sunday is our big chance, the problem is, do we face our oldest rival as it is just another game, or do we rev up the boys and play on emotion knowing that this isn't just another game. I can guarantee Carlton would want nothing more than to smash an undermanned Collingwood, Ratten knows about it, he knows what it means to Carlton people to beat Collingwood.

We need to prove to this league that we will not be ****ed with, and what better way to do to it than against those cheating pricks. I honestly do not care if Nick Maxwell is put away for 4 weeks for striking, whether 8 players cop fines for wrestling, or Jack Anthony belts Jamison across the head, just show some sort of emotion.

Teach the boys like Wellingham, Reid, Wood, Sidebottom, Barham, Beams and any other kid in that side why we hate Carlton, why if we don't win another game for the year but beat Carlton we can all rest easy.

Do it for the blokes sitting in the stand that come and watch you every week. Draw a line in the sand, because right now it looks as though you do not care about the bloke standing beside you on the half back flank.

The day is a day built around donating money to sufferers of cancer, and I can tell you, these people do it hard, harder than any of you blokes on the field have done it, so show the sort of fight that these people do, and take it right up to these pricks on Sunday by any means necessary, because I'm getting pissed off.:mad:

Haha, I love your passion man.

At the close of the Saints game I felt fine about it, knowing that we were going to flog Carlton this week. And then I saw the injury list mid-week and realised we were in fact doomed. We can't win this with the out/ins we have. Wood alone is worth minus ten players (bring Bryan in FFS, at least he'll try and can be used as a large forward!!).

If I could be guaranteed of some sort of display like this, or a massive brawl, I'd definitely be in a much more chipper mood.

Although I'd rather not see Anthony or Maxwell get suspended. Remember what happened to our forward line last week when we didn't have Hitman? I rest my case. Still, I'd definitely like to see him live up to the name I just referred to him by. He's definitely shown toughness in the past. As for Maxwell, he's the only consistantly good player in our side bar Leon and maybe Pendles (who is never going to be overly tough, let's face it) right now, and we definitely need him.

Right now I can't even find someone to go with me to the game (and I don't fancy going alone, might as well watch it on TV as bad as that is). Like you I've been to every Collingwood game in Melbourne so far, including the NAB cup, and I fear I might miss this one. Hopefully not though, especially if we do pull off some sort of miracle and win. Carlton are ****ing pathetic, and if we weren't so horribly r*ped by injury I'd be so incredibly cocky going into this :(

btw I didn't know this was a cancer survivor gig. They've clearly advertised that well :\

couldn't agree with you more mate, as discussed when there is no fight or passion that is when a club is in trouble, not when they get beaten.

They need to attack the footy the way burnsy and bucks did, especially when against BIG rivals. i remember bucks absolutely nailing camporeale one day and it just lifts you, remember maxwells tackle on rooke in the prelim a few years ago... it set the tone.

pies need to lay some body on body early on show that we might be undermanned in the skill and experience stakes but we still have bodies and passion and we will show that....

KILL FOR COLLINGWOOD!

Great post.....I couldn't agree more.
It's gonna be tough to win this week.
I just hope they go full throttle from the opening bounce this sunday.
Want them to show that passion that you mentioned.
Hopefully,it will unsettle the blues and turn the game into trench warfare,a war of attrition,last man standing affair.
If it's a free flowing game,we're screwed.
This is when we miss the leadership of someone of Scotty Burns' ilk.
If the game was getting away from us,he would go into the guts and turn it into a war.........Just don't think that we have someone with his qualities at the moment.
But, as you pointed out so well in your post,It's time for some of our young guns to show their mettle and hopefully grow into battle hardened generals.
Why not start this week? haha

I have definately seen a lack of passion this season. We seem a little clinical to me.

I was pissed off after the Saints game, not because we lost as I expected that, but because I felt that no-one really stood up. There was never any spark or an attempt by someone to make an imprint on the game.

I would like us to come out with real intent from the opening bounce on Sunday. I want to see the team bust a gut and help each other out.

If one single thing stood out for me about Monday's game is that the Saints wanted it more. They ran harder and always had more people at the contest, and more options because of it. Our players have to learn to bust a gut.

Agree 100% problem is no matter what is said on the board we will see the same collingwood outfit return to the field and show no passion or hunger. I'm not a MM basher, never has been. I love what he has done for this club over the last 10 years. He is the reason we got to where we are today. However hunger usually starts from the guts of the club. That is the coach. When the coach (leader) doesn't get the support of the player we tend to see this softness emerge within the players. It seems the players have given up on Malthouse. :(

Well said everyone. Even when we win this season, I have a feeling in the pit of my guts that our boys lack the hardness and commitment it takes to go all the way. I am truly disappointed in the boys, injury toll not withstanding.

The only time this year have I seen the spirit we need was when Medders took the game on against Brisbane and lifted us across the line, copped a concussion and got back out there and had another crack. That is one player once and it's not good enough.

I actually believe that we have a list that is capable of downing any other team in the competition. It's not the best list but on our day we can do it. It's just that our days are frustratingly inconsistent.

We have fantastic facilities, sponsors and opportunities - and it hurts me that teams that operate out of a garden shed can give us a run for our money.

I don't blame MM - I think he's been good. I put it squarely on the players. And mostly on the senior players and next tier of experienced youngsters (Cloke, Daisy, Pendles especially) It's time to show us that it is not enough for them to wear the black and white and run out infront of huge crowds on Anzac Day and other blockbusters. It's time to dig in, and find some grit and find out what playing in the black and white means.

I'm with you, brother. Enough of this 'nanny' nonsense. The spanking by the Saints could be the turning point of our season - players take a real look at where they are, what they want, who they are etc. We did it against the Cats in the late 90s after a week of soul-searching, deciding we don't want to be seen as soft anymore and we turned the AFL world on its head and kicked it in the junk. It's time for that fire to be brought to the fore. And there's no better opportunity than to get vengeance, satisfaction and credibility than against the Scum - I hate those arrogant f*cks. The headline writes itself: 'Pies find redemption and bring season back on track with masive spanking of Old Enemy'. This could be the start of something beautiful...

Great post, we do need to lift our intensity and support for each player on the field.

The one thing I have noticed so far this year is the lack in the old one percenters, something MM and Collingwood has prided themselves on in the past.

We have lacked the intensity to tackle hard, smother when possible, shepherd a player with the ball, and the most obvious thing missing has been communication between players.

I dont know whether it has anything to do with missing "major" players just about every week, but it seems the on field "talk" to assist players who have the ball or are going for the ball has dimmed significantly this season.

You are right, it is time to draw a line.

At 3-5 we will be in danger of missing the 8, so this is a must win game under any circumstances, but more so because of what happened last week, the injuries we have and the team we are against.

I wont accept anything other then a win this week, but unlike most I wont be blaming MM if we lose, I will be blaming the players.

Most professionals in the game believe that motivation for players comes from within, and this places the blame on intensity and actions straight onto the 22 that play this week, they must perform.:mad:

You have gone to the touchy heart of the matter, Didaka, and there's plenty of passion and resolve in the responses above. If only we could communicate that to the players. I think it's up to them. MM feeds off passion.

Is there anything we could do as supporters at the game to help rev the lads up? At the 2 Carlton games last year there was more of a contest in the stands than on the field. Opti will probably give himself an aneurysm this time round.:eek:

You've hit upon a pretty critical point, I think it was brought up on this board earlier in the year that we need a bit of the mongrel in us. Of course, it needs to be a constructive kind of aggression, aimed at intimidating the opposition through fierce, hard tackling and fierce attack on the ball, as well as protecting teammates. I too don't mind if one of our blokes belts an opposition player, as long as it's within good reason. (ie trying to reconstruct Fev's noggin):D

I look back to the Brisbane match and what sticks out most in my mind is Presti's intense attack on the ball at ground level, crashing into the Lions player and winning the ball for the team. It's that kind of play which can inspire teammates, and I liken it to Cyril Rioli's desperate tackle on Rooke in last year's grand final which proved to be something of a turning point in the match.

We need more of that, though, and Malthouse should have highlighted this after the Brisbane match and said that this is what is expected of all the blokes on the field. He should have also highlighted Barham's almost manic attack of the opposition player with the ball, because our best footy comes we are harassing and intimidating the opposition as we did to such great effect against Geelong last year.

You mentioned that we were pushed around by the Saints and I agree entirely. Sure, we have some small bodies, but the Saints out muscled us and were just much more desperate and played for eachother. I have to say that I was also hugely disappointed that nobody went to remonstrate with Baker after Swan was belted, we need to send the message to opposition clubs that you are not going to get away with anything while playing the mighty Pies.

You also hit upon a very interesting point about teaching the younger kids to really hate Carlton. I would take it a step further and say that they need to be taught to hate every other team, because almost without exception other teams, especially ones from Melbourne tend to lift a notch against us because they all love to beat us. This would help not only by instill that aggressive edge you were talking about, but also because Collingwood tends to plays best when we've got the "us against the world" mentality.

Couldn't agree more with whats been said in this thread. But the sad truth is, it won't happen. Its just the mentality of the Collingwood football club. For some strange reason, Mick Malthouse has become a robot, and has turned the players into robots. We lack the passion and desire so we don't ever play with spirit. I'm not talking about the flair of Dale Thomas or the dare of Scott Pendlebury or the guts of Nick Maxwell, I'm talking about the passion for the jumper.

Malthouse can easily be promoting the game for the fans, and advising the players to wear the jumper with pride and do the fans proud, but 'its just another home and away game' ect.

I agree! - I just expect one day for collingwood to turn into this team whereby we just play good - like seriously - some of these players we have are just better than other teams' players but we seem to lose to them. Like ffs Adelaide - their list is sh*thouse eg. - swan is tons better than goodwin wtf is the rest of the team waiting for...go for the ball - win the ball and spread out and kick it - wings or not! if we get beaten on the day at least it will be cos we tried and were beaten clearly - either by a better team physically and skill wise or simply by plain luck.

We should be shillaking some of these sh*t teams we play but we dont... go in for the ball or let another 18 year old magpies supporter play who actually wants Collingwood to beat this sh*t team called Carlton...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100% mate, The successful teams of the past showed that agression and certain cockiness you need to be successful.
Even our 2002 2003 were good but not great teams on paper but we had a strong sense of togetherness, one in all in and we didnt get bullied or pushed around by other sides,
If we wernt good enough so be it but i dont see that bond with the current squad could be because we are a young side but this sort of attitude and ruthlessness must start at the top and senior players are responsible to make sure it gets passed down.

Yes lads,as i have said before the lack of passion shown by the players i reckon has got to,with all the media hype of the coaching role.
I reckon that has palnted the ."why try so hard when MALTY might not be there next year, " Syndrome.
Also another significant factor has to do with the umpiring decisions that have gone aginst us in crucial stages of certain games.
I have seen the palyers work hard to get back from behind,only to drop their heads and lose faith when the umpires have killed us!
Doesn't help when Malthouse makes a big deal about it.

I dont think anyone will disagree with whats being said in this thread , unfortunately . The lack of spirit was very evident in 2nd quarter against the Cats we had them on toast but when the momentum shifted none of our leaders and players gave the yelp , it made me absolutely sick in the guts . The positive is - our young players like Beams , Barham , Sidebottom , Toovey , Anthony etc etc seem to have a lot of spirit about them , it just needs to be nurtured by the likes of Maxwell , O'Brien and Shaw and we will come good in that regard .
Common the Maggies make everyone hate us with passion again !

Teach the boys like Wellingham, Reid, Wood, Sidebottom, Barham, Beams and any other kid in that side why we hate Carlton, why if we don't win another game for the year but beat Carlton we can all rest easy.

Sorry mate I mostly agree with you, but certainly not this part!

Go Didaka! That is where we are at and exactly where we need to be.

We won't win the premiership this year, but by Christ we wont hurt from injecting some ticker. Let's get around each other, players and supporters.

What is sorely lacking is a sense of purpose and perspective. We are the club of struggle and hope so let's bring it to game.

One of my pet hates is when a player is deliberately snipered behind play, or a dirty knock and nobody goes up and backs him up.. to me this is the biggest let down to see. I saw rambo do it last year a couple of times and showed me that he did play for his jumper.

Bryan should have come in for Fraser, maybe both should have come in. But Bryan more, with rocca and trav out, he has more ability than Leroy to play up forward. Im not too convinced on Wood to be honest. Another player that doesn't show heart, last year both Carlton games we lost for the exact reason that nobody looked like they wanted to be out there. Arguably the two biggest days on the clubs calender, and the players didn't even come to play.

This brings me to Scott Burns, i was absolutely gutted when he announced his retirement. He was one of our most important players and it showed when we didn't have him in last years final against Saint Kilda. Superb captain and leader, showed heart which is what we so obviously lack. Todays game is so psychological... If you go with the right mindset anything is possible and at the moment we are playing as individuals.

I think MM just drew a line too;

* 8 Changes after the embarassment of Monday night
* 4 forced changes/ommisions.
* Cook, Reid, Cox, Beams in, all in our best team IMHO.

At least it sends a message that another performance like Monday night will not be accepted.

I want the players to know just how much this game means to us supporters, and how much it means to the club in general. If any of them go into this game thinking "it's just another game", they deserve a great big kick up the arse.

We are Collingwood, playing Carlton as underdogs. Play for the jumper, play for the clubs history and herritage and for ****s sake, play with some ****ing PASSION! We'll provide it in the stands, you provide it on the field. Side by side, we can win.

Actually i will add one thing. Beams is born to be a leader, everytime he has played for us he gives his absolute all, head over the nut every time. There is passion in this one, i sense.

Great Post, loved it.

If i had to describe the season in one word: Flat.

The crowd, the players, everyone around the club seems to be flat, just coasting along only doing just enough to win. I'm waiting for us to rise a notch, and this week is the perfect time to do it.

We need to lift.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to draw a line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back