Time to paint the grass different colours?

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find most insteresting is teh manipulative wording that post titles (and newspaper articles) use as they have here...
ie
is it TIME we considered coloured turf...
not "would it be a good idea if"
Not "how about we"
Not, "I'd like to make a case for"....

no,,, "Is it TIME!"... implying this is something that's already got the weight of previous collective consideration behind it, that it comes with some weight of authority, and more than anything that its a PROGRESSIVE idea, and that to resitst the idea one would have to be, oh no" ANTI-PROGRESSIVE!.

This kind of manipulative language can be very effective, Is it TIME for gay marriage? for example.
It also takes other forms : there are often headings like
"How <person x> changed the way we view <pet issue Y>" By using this language the author no longer even needs to justify their proposition, as by the very title of the piece they have made it a predetermined fact. Now the disagreeing reader is given the challenge of not only being 'anti-prgoressive' but also the obligation to disprove something that wasn't even proven in the first place.

What does it mean? Well, if you know someone is trying to manipulate you, it becomes harder to manipulate you; and it means your counter views can sidestep their rhetorical trap and argue without accepting their premises. But secondly, it means that the writer is insincere in their own virtue, and probably intolerant of dissent or diversity of thought; ie : "my opinion is not open to discussion, agree with me or you are bad."

Not saying this applies to this specific thread, but hell, had to make something worthwhile out of it.
Hippie: Is it time?
Gough: It's time.

So we all know that sponsors logos are painted on to the ovals, but is it time we looked at changing it up a bit and painting the whole playing surface? Imagine how cool it would be to see a black oval for instance. Or what about an orange oval with black lines at a GWS game? Pink oval could be used for breast cancer awareness round while a soft yellow may give off an illusion of the grass being dead. Perhaps a possibility for next years much anticipated AFLX series to trial it out?

Ignore the people here trolling and being rude. I appreciate that you were here looking not to be insulted or ridiculed but instead just wanted feedback on your idea so here goes: it's shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not also have umpires wearing similar colours to the players, to favour certain teams...

Oh wait:

43f53b71240653679ae1195c69711261

Well done Gilligan !!

Fluorescent paint...night grand final.

You're welcome.

lus I've just saved the AFL hundreds of thousands in consulting fees that can be used to hire consultants to make a plan to deal with the hundreds of thousands of dollars I saved them.

Multi-ball !!! 6 umpires simultaneously bouncing 6 different coloured balls (each worth a different goal value depending on who by and where they are kicked from) to commence the game. Chaos and mayhem then ensue.....

Each quarter, one ball is removed at random, meaning everyone has no idea of the final results until 3 weeks after each game ends....

Or have I gone a bit mad ???

You laugh, but soon the ground will be divided into "zones" that must contain a certain number of players at all times, and that zone will be coloured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to paint the grass different colours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back