Toasters openly admitting 92 & 94 were State teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Well as poorly as milo put his original argument, and susebquent follow ups........

I do not like the idea of the Eagles wearing the W.A state of origin jumper in heritage round. We quite clearly do not represent W.A, almost half the state hate us more than any other club.

The whole topic does raise some interesting queries...here we have a heritage round, yet 3 clubs are 20 years old or less, a 4th only has heritage longer than that due to a merge, while a 5th generates debate every day of the week over the relevance of it's ties to it's SANFL roots.

What exactly should West Coat wear, or Adelaide for that matter?

I know as an Eagles fan, this will make me real popular with my own club's fellow supporters, but as an East Fremantle supporter, I have no trouble seeing the Dockers in the Sharks (well it'll be Old Easts won't it?) jumper. Fremantle drawing on the region's heritage which they claimed to do from day one I have no problem with.

Yes the Eagles were originally the first W.A entry into the VFL, but had only 8 years as the state's sole representative, and I don't believe I can claim the whole state as heritage. Yes, we see players from elsewhere representing W.A at WAFL level in the black and gold, and Cable and a few others did play for Victoria before the SoO rules. But SoO is now remembered as being the opportunity to 'go home' and represent your origin. I have the utmost respect for Chris Judd, and I would imagine wearing a W.A SoO jumper would go close to making him feel ill. He has probably spent the last couple of years dreaming of the return of SoO so he could don the Big V.

If we must do this Heritage Round thing, I would be more confortable as an Eagles supporter wearing an old West Perth Cardies jumper, or Perth Demons...than trying to claim my club now represents that state. Of course this is difficult, as those involved over the years have been too ignorant to line up the 8 WAFL clubs with the two respective AFL teams. It affects us from things like this jumper issue, to where the players play when the are dropped. As for the argument about EF heritage and Dockers players who couldn't find the place.......what about Mitch Brown? Gets drafted to the Eagles, trains with the Eagles, plays round 1 with EF in a derby.

As for recognising 30 years of SoO...very noble. Perhaps a joint exercise between the Eagles and Dockers, and a naming of a 'Team of the 3 Decades' would be more appropriate than our club trying to claim the entire state's heritage.

What a funny thread. I personally don't really care what they wear, but if West Coast didn't come into the comp representing WA, then who were they representing? Where did they draw their support? Poor old milo, I really think his hatred of the Eagles is stronger than love of the Dockers.

For What it's Worth I don't think we should be wearing the state jumper.

But for a 70s theme, I don't know what we should wear.

Seems like it's more of a fancy dress ball than a football game.

Having said that, folks, it's just a football game, and it's just a jumper in the end. Hardly earth shattering stuff.

Agreed.

You trying to tell me there will be blonde tipped, mohawked, bono sun glass wearing, Subi coke head 21 year old eagle fans wearing the WA soo top with some kind of eagles logo on it some where walking around thinking that that their arrogant footy team is the only representation of WA footy?

Give me a break. Never, ever, ever, ever again can an eagles person say anything about Freo 'claiming' Fremantle footy heritage of the past because your team has just done it too... but twice as bad.

Why aren't Fremantle wearing the Claremont jumper? Trying to steal Souths heritage again, tsk tsk. :eek:

For what it's worth, the Fremantle Heritage jumper (white, with 3 red V's, with black shorts) is representative of the original Fremantle Football Club, one of the original teams establishing the WAFL. The current FFC would wear this every year, regardless of the "theme", as recognition of the first ever FFC. The one and only reason for the change this year is the fact the opponents will by the Sydney Swans.

I don't agree that West Coast should wear the SOO jumper, I'm even more outraged that I will be supporting a team that has any resemblance to East Fremantle.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oi !!!

Leave our dignified and noble bird alone...freo already use our colours for heritage round and now the other mob want to use some sort of cheap hungry jacks chargrilled whopper version of the swan...whynot call yaselves the quokka's or quolls or bilby's or whatever that small fury animal is that people shoot on Rottnest Is.

Sort yaselves out then send us a memo...would prefer an original thought though this time...how about the "west coast iron ores"

I like it

The West Coast Iron Ore's:thumbsu:

Maybe Freo could knock a few of their boys' teeth out, dress them in overalls and gumboots and send 'em out to play so they truly represent their mascot heritage?

Why should these guys from interstate be wearing an East Fremantle jumper when they aren't even from WA?
Pavlich
Tarrant
Mundy
Crowley

There a higher percentage of West Coast players from WA, then there are dockers payers from East Fremantle

The argument works both ways
you are a total **ckwit neither south or east freo jumpers were state jumpers & both are affiliated with freo & both have history going back 100 years. state of origin jumpers were worn by WEST AUST born champions of all aust clubs and should be kept that way. if eagles want to wear a wa jumper wear subi/s or swans or one of their affiliated clubs.can you imagine collingwood wearing the big V .I think most sensible eagle fans would think this way. its an insult to all our past champions incl michael,peake,cable,hardie etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Toasters openly admitting 92 & 94 were State teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back