Free Agency Todd Goldstein [Joins Essendon as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be a good pickup for the Demons, imagine Max Gawn and Todd Goldstein playing in the same team!

I think Goldy’s leadership & coaching would have developed a lot the past 2 years.

At the very least, he was very gracious & a great clubman when it came to being dropped round 1. No signs of dropping his head, or causing angst/tension. Came back and tried his hardest (more than you can say for a full back who had a foot out the door most of the year).

He might not be a vocal leader, or a passionate coach, but I reckon he does the job quietly (just as he racked up the AFL record in hitouts), and does it well.

Bit of saltiness from NM fans here!

The guy would have been within his rights to chase a flag several years ago but stayed.
Who is being salty? North fans wish him well.

Geelong?

Does he have ambition to coach? as i can definitely see a club offering him a 1yr playing role then going straight to coaching.

Would be difficult to find a club that would offer a ruck at that age a 2 year deal focussed solely on playing.

Geelong offered him 4 years in 2019 but with the custody of kids with his ex i dont think he can logistically move to geelong.

Would have to be a club in the inner north corridor..probably essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If im Geelong I just say "Live where you want and come on down" . Different circumstances given he will cost 0 on the trade table and what not.

If Joe Daniher can drive 2 hours a day to and from training sure Todd can make his way down to Geelong

Yes but thats a lot of time each week with his kids to give up. How many kids does daniher have?

A rather stupid decision by North, don't go asking for some priority draft picks next year now, you have become exempt from deserving thatr now.
???? Goldy only played last season because Xerri got a bad injury. Goldy started the season in 2s.

A rather stupid decision by North, don't go asking for some priority draft picks next year now, you have become exempt from deserving that now.
Ah yes, because the surefire template for rebuilding successfully is to...
[checks notes]
...agree to multiyear contracts with 35 year olds.

A rather stupid decision by North, don't go asking for some priority draft picks next year now, you have become exempt from deserving that now.
It's a sneaky good move I reckon. McKay not getting you Band 1 compo? Let's offload Goldy as well.

Issue with Xerri is he is average and injury prone. I’d hope North use the Port pick on a young ruck
Well yeah we don't have a gun ruck man but most teams don't. Xerri is fine if he can stay fit. His injury was pretty unlucky. There is an expectation that we will draft Mitch Edwards late in the first round to fill this role long term.

Well yeah we don't have a gun ruck man but most teams don't. Xerri is fine if he can stay fit. His injury was pretty unlucky. There is an expectation that we will draft Mitch Edwards late in the first round to fill this role long term.
Yeah that’s probably spot on. He is fine but average but need a young up and comer. Eagles in that same boat

Surely Goldstein is a servicable option in the short-term ??

He's postcodes better than Xerri anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Todd Goldstein [Joins Essendon as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back