Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

3 top ten picks for a ruckmen with possible knees issues and a slow and old Andrew swallow? Swallow is worth a 3rd rounder and Goldstein is worth a first rounder. We lose that trade big time

It's 2 and a 3 pick downgrade.
Plus you'll be able to keep David.

You guys want 2 first rounders for a bloke who hasn't played a single game in 2 years and may never play another game.

I think you guys underrate leadership, defensive prowess, selflessness and someone's ability to do the dirty work that no else wants to do.

Andrew is a great tackler, and very good inside and under packs and having him would enable Ablett to stay out of trouble and prolong his career.

How many more drafts can you go to and select kids who don't want to be there and will return home?

How many more blokes like Grant, Brennan do you want?

For 2 picks you aee getting a combination that will win enough ball at the coalface to give you an opportunity to get it down to Lynch, 2MP, Day.

But I guess you don't want to make finals, just happy wasting Ablett's career.

Last edited:
Just like anyone with half a clue knows he's in the top 5 players in the game?

He started the year in the top 2 players in the AFL according to MVP voting - He will be top 5 again next season.

Which of the current top 5 rucks let alone top 5 players is "post 30"

Gawn?
Naitanui?
Mumford? Yes but he plays like 15 games a year
Grundy?
Jacobs?

"Big men take time", sure, but are you saying ruckmen are immune to ageing?... I think it is consensus that a ruckman's prime years is from 25-29.

I'm saying Cox, Salmon, Madden ie: the best 3 ruckman of the modern era all played until their mid 30's. And as they get older their skills as a ruckman actually improved.

My point is, all of them will be better at 30-34 than they are now with the exception of possibly Nic Nat.

Comparing Goldstein to Grundy??? Did you not witness the absolute bath that our shit midfield gave your A-Grade midfield???? Why was that? Just a lucky night?

Or the 5 goals he kicked on Gawn in a half playing in the ruck?

Your club gave up picks 14 & 46 for Jolly who was well known to be bone on bone in his knee.

On that basis alone Goldy is worth 2x first rounders.

He started the year in the top 2 players in the AFL according to MVP voting - He will be top 5 again next season.

That is completely different to your initial claim, but I like how you can see into the future as well, just adds all that much credibility to your argument.

Even in a supposed poor year he was ranked pretty highly in all available player ratings systems, ranked second in overall hit outs and kicked 20 goals.

He was again clearly the best ruckman in the league until he hyper-extended his knee against Carlton in round nine. Unsure why at 28 he is suddenly going to go off a cliff.

So you can say he is going to fall off a cliff but I can't say he will get back to his best form?

OK mate. You win.

Where did I say that he's going to fall off a cliff? Why make something up that you can't prove? Bizarre.

I questioned your claim that is a top 5 player in the competition this year, which he clearly isn't.

Where did I say that he's going to fall off a cliff? Why make something up that you can't prove? Bizarre.

I questioned your claim that is a top 5 player in the competition this year, which he clearly isn't.

Yet he is rated at #5 on official player ratings?

Go figure.

You said he wasn't rated in the top 5, yet he is - you said it only adds to the credibility of my future predictions of him to returning to a position he currently holds?!

Ie: Rated in the top 5 on official player ratings.

I don't get what you are arguing mate.

Just like anyone with half a clue knows he's in the top 5 players in the game?

He finished the season @ #5, he is currently @#6 because he isn't playing and Bont has just snuck past him.

What is your point?

LOL He is still rated @#5 on AFL official player rankings after a 'poor' year.
Yet he is rated at #5 on official player ratings?

Go figure.

You said he wasn't rated in the top 5, yet he is - you said it only adds to the credibility of my future predictions of him to returning to a position he currently holds?!

Ie: Rated in the top 5 on official player ratings.

I don't get what you are arguing mate.

He finished the season @ #5, he is currently @#6 because he isn't playing and Bont has just snuck past him.

What is your point?

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-player-ratings

I suggest you look at this link.

On the app he is @#5.
On the website he is @#6

You think that proves anything other than you are anal and that you possibly underrate the big guy????

Do you honestly think that he is currently in the top 5 in the AFL? That was your initial claim, you later changed it to the player ratings, we all know that the player ratings aren't a good measure of current form.

Gawn has clearly been better than him this year, just to prove how idiotic your argument is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you honestly think that he is currently in the top 5 in the AFL? That was your initial claim, you later changed it to the player ratings, we all know that the player ratings aren't a good measure of current form.

Gawn has clearly been better than him this year, just to prove how idiotic your argument is

OK... That's your issue.

We got to the bottom of it.

Gawn had a better year but Goldstein is the superior footballer.

In regards to the algorithm that is used to rank the players, I don't know if it's right or wrong, all I know is if you are ranked 6th after your worst year in 3 years, there is a good chance that you're comfortably a top 5 player based upon any metric you wish to base it on.

In terms of value, I think because of his endurance and the fact he goes forward and kicks goals, he is more valuable than Gawn and yes in the top 5 most valuable players in the AFL.

Bont
Lynch
Danger
Buddy
Goldy
-----
Kennedy
Rance
Fyfe
Roughy

In no particular order.

You put any of those 5 players into a team outside the 8(except Brisbane) and they probably make finals.

That's how I see it anyway, I'm quite often wrong in life, but that's how I measure best.

I'm saying Cox, Salmon, Madden ie: the best 3 ruckman of the modern era all played until their mid 30's. And as they get older their skills as a ruckman actually improved.

My point is, all of them will be better at 30-34 than they are now with the exception of possibly Nic Nat.

This argument is so ludicrous

Salmon and madden were so long ago, might as well start telling us how everyone should be playing 400+ games because micheal tuck did that one time.

Also , tell me again how Coxs best form came from the age of 30-34. Fantasy is my favourite genre of story.

Someone already posted the truth. Rucks are in their prime from 25-29.

This argument is so ludicrous

Salmon and madden were so long ago, might as well start telling us how everyone should be playing 400+ games because micheal tuck did that one time.

Also , tell me again how Coxs best form came from the age of 30-34. Fantasy is my favourite genre of story.

Cox's best 2 years were 2011 and 2012.

Salmon made Hawthorn's team of century after being traded at age 31.

John Barnes' best year was 2000 as a 30+

Justin Maddens best year was 1995 at 30+

Do you want me to keep going?

Do you actually have any idea or do you just mash keys?

Not everyone is spud Lobbe who peaks at 23 and does nothing but steal other peoples oxygen.

Goldstein's best years are ahead of him, he is 28... You and your mate have no idea, ask any ruckman in the history of the game and other than the athletic types, their best footy is post 28 and all the way into their mid 30's.

Cox's best 2 years were 2011 and 2012.

Salmon made Hawthorn's team of century after being traded at age 31.

John Barnes' best year was 2000 as a 30+

Justin Maddens best year was 1995 at 30+

Do you want me to keep going?

Do you actually have any idea or do you just mash keys?

Not everyone is spud Lobbe who peaks at 23 and does nothing but steal other peoples oxygen.

Goldstein's best years are ahead of him, he is 28... You and your mate have no idea, ask any ruckman in the history of the game and other than the athletic types, their best footy is post 28 and all the way into their mid 30's.
Quite a simply minded analysis here. Football evolves as a sport, and the physical demand of players has increased drastically over the years, especially rucks who essentially need to play almost as a midfielder despite their size. All of the players you mentioned either didn't have their prime years over 30, or simply wasn't part of the modern era of football. With age, not only do they lose their agility and athleticism, but also they're more prone to injuries, and the deterioration of their skill far outweighs the gain of game knowledge. Now answer my question, which of the current top 5 rucks is over the age of 30, let alone being well over 30 like you have suggested.

Exactly. That's why I said pick 8 and 20 odd is overs for 30 year old Oldstein.

Gold Coast are having a mini rebuild. Does not fit their age profile at all.

Quite a simply minded analysis here. Football evolves as a sport, and the physical demand of players has increased drastically over the years, especially rucks who essentially need to play almost as a midfielder despite their size. All of the players you mentioned either didn't have their prime years over 30, or simply wasn't part of the modern era of football. With age, not only do they lose their agility and athleticism, but also they're more prone to injuries, and the deterioration of their skill far outweighs the gain of game knowledge. Now answer my question, which of the current top 5 rucks is over the age of 30, let alone being well over 30 like you have suggested.

Did those players play their best years in their 30's?

Yes.

Are they the best ruckmen if the AFL era?

Yes.

End of.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Back