Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

From the stuff you're writing sounds like you do not value a backline at all. Of course a good defence affects whether you contend or not WTF are you on about LMAO.

You are buying 2-3 years of contention by trading in Barrass. The people running your club know this.
They have the pieces there ready to go, your mids are starting to enter their prime.

Overpaying for Barrass would be trading 2 years worth of 1st and 2nd rounders. A 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder isn't overpaying. It's just good business.

You are 3+ years away from having your own developed KPD.
Your list is great up the ground at not conceding inside 50s, but once it reaches your backline your list kinda sucks. No brainer to chase an elite defender.
I value a good defence. Just that Barrass doesn’t move the needle that far for us.

Our contending is about our work in the middle and winning contests up the ground. Do that and we contend with or without Barrass. Don’t and we don’t contend even with Barrass.

A first and a second is overs for Barrass. Even a first is too much for mine. It’s why eagles supporters on here are more than happy for him to go.

No it's not.

If a 1st and 2nd rounder are worth more than an elite KPD to the Hawks list with there theyre at, why are they worth more than Sicily who is roughly the same value and age?
They have better depth in half backs than KPDs right now so argument could be made that Barrass is worth more to them, not counting captaincy.

You can’t seriously be arguing that Barrass is worth more to Hawthorn than James Sicily lol

You know what else is important when you're bad and rebuiding? Senior players with experience and leadership that build culture and set the standards for young players.

It's not like Barass is 31 / 32 - if he has 4-5 good years left in him, you keep him to help mentor and develop the kids. The issue is, I think WC know he doesn't have that in him - hence the reason they're open to moving him and his salary on..

It's like when you buy that used car....it might look great on the surface, but there might be underlying issues that the buying party can't see....

Sure, where do I say otherwise? The Eagles are only contemplating this because of how bad they are. The Hawks wouldn’t consider letting Sicily leave. Equating the two and saying the Hawks should equally look at trading Sicily because of his age is bizarre.

No because we aren’t giving up significant assets to get him in

What's your expectation for the cost of Tom Barrass in trade?

I do think he is being shown the door which puts some leverage in the hands of Hawthorn but I think too that Barrass could well end up in a red and white jumper as part of a shuffle of players now that he is well and truly on the table.

Get the concern but put it this way:

Without Tom Boyd, Dogs likely don't win in '16. They paid a pretty high price to get him and he retired a few short years later, not really having any standout games other than the grand final.

Would supporters seriously turn down a far better player in Barrass, for much less of an asking price, if it massively boosted their chances of winning another flag?
You would not have picked Boyd as being the difference right up until the day he was. I don't think it's a valid comparison.

St Kilda list management in 2022, James Gallagher, signing Battle to a two year extension until 2024 but not making sure that the second year was paid enough to land him in the top 25% of the squad so he is a restricted free agent (roughly 9 guys paid higher than him currently) is who St Kilda should be filthy at.

Yep. Well said.

Saints need a complete rebuild from my perspective.

I value a good defence. Just that Barrass doesn’t move the needle that far for us.
Right, so you haven't seen Barrass play. That's all you had to say
Our contending is about our work in the middle and winning contests up the ground. Do that and we contend with or without Barrass. Don’t and we don’t contend even with Barrass.
A good defence covers for bad days. You cant solely rely on your midfield to win you games.
You clearly don't value a strong backline.
A first and a second is overs for Barrass. Even a first is too much for mine. It’s why eagles supporters on here are more than happy for him to go.
Once again you haven't seen Barrass play.

“back is cooked” is an opinion.

noun
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I hope that clears it up.
View attachment RPReplay_Final1722484018.mov
This is what I was referring to with “back is cooked” however my comments with ongoing back issues was from the great man himself…

One again…hope this clears its up

Yep. Well said.

Saints need a complete rebuild from my perspective.

The real magic story will be if the pursuit of Liam Henry, with the typical front loading of a trade deal, resulted in Battle no longer being in the top 25% of players in 2024.

McCabe will be more a CHB type.

Barrass hardly affects our push for a premiership at all. Will be all on our up the field work. Our defence has been rock solid since the catastrophe at the start.

I have no problems trading in a KPD. Overpaying for one who’s going to be 29 is silly given our list. If the price is at least a first it needs to be someone we will get a lot of time out of.

Luckily for Cats supporters the Geelong recruiting team didn't agree with your strategy when they paid plenty to trade in a 29 year old Cameron.

A massive part of their last premiership.

Brian Lake......remember how that story ended?

I do think he is being shown the door which puts some leverage in the hands of Hawthorn but I think too that Barrass could well end up in a red and white jumper as part of a shuffle of players now that he is well and truly on the table.
Well it seems most expect it to be something along the lines of our current first and 2nd which is more than I am willing to part with.

Honestly I think if they are happy to move him on and take our first, add in DGB as change I am okay with it. I’m against adding anything more.

If they truly want to keep him I hope they just extend him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2065218
This is what I was referring to with “back is cooked” however my comments with ongoing back issues was from the great man himself…

One again…hope this clears its up
I know exactly what you were referring to and nowhere does he say his back “is cooked”. He describes the management of it and makes no reference to his football output. That his back is cooked was your opinion based on no facts and now you’re realising you have no way of justifying it but if you want to try I look forward to reading it.

I know exactly what you were referring to and nowhere does he say his back “is cooked”. He describes the management of it and makes no reference to his football output. That his back is cooked was your opinion based on no facts and now you’re realising you have no way of justifying it but if you want to try I look forward to reading it.

His justification has repeatedly been stated as "talked to Tom Barrass himself"

Luckily for Cats supporters the Geelong recruiting team didn't agree with your strategy when they paid plenty to trade in a 29 year old Cameron.

A massive part of their last premiership.

Brian Lake......remember how that story ended?
Cats were in a win now stage and had to go all in to try and win a flag before all their players got too old.

Same with Hawthorn getting Lake who cost a lot less and was a better player.

Hawthorn isn’t near this point in their list build.

I would have thought not having to travel across the country in economy class every second weekend would mean Barrass will be better off and will keep that crippling back injury at bay.

Right, so you haven't seen Barrass play. That's all you had to say

A good defence covers for bad days. You cant solely rely on your midfield to win you games.
You clearly don't value a strong backline.

Once again you haven't seen Barrass play.
He’s a really good player but it’s not like we have bad players in our defence. Hence why he marginally improves us.

We control the high ball well which is where he really shines. We need him to lockdown a key forward more than intercepting. Saying that I’d still go for him if not for his age.

It’s more our midfield and the up the ground work can be really good or really bad. On those bad days we could have every star defender in the league and it wouldn’t matter.

Barrass was interested in a move to Sydney last year because his sister lived in Sydney, she is now moving to Melbourne.

So don't think the lure to Sydney will be as strong as last year

I would have thought not having to travel across the country in economy class every second weekend would mean Barrass will be better off and will keep that crippling back injury at bay.
It certainly wouldn’t hurt, it doesn’t mean his back will be fine. Simply put no one knows for sure if it will affect him during his career or not.

Eagles fans will have an opinion on what they want for Barrass.
Hawks fans will have an opinion on what they would pay for Barrass..

Both will be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

A deal somewhere in between both will be the most likely result.

The logic and motive behind a deal fits both clubs.
Hawthorn looking to make a finals push, and Barrass significantly improves their chances.
Eagles desperately looking for young talent and want to cash in on a star KPD in his prime who most likely does not fit the timeframe for their next finals push.

Win/Win

Wow that was exhausting. Hopefully eaglevision understands now.
I understand perfectly. Again, I’m asking you to elaborate on your understanding of Tom’s injuries, likely prognosis and how specifically they affect his footy. I could say I had coffee with Don Pyke and that puts me in a position to comment on anything WCE related.

He’s a really good player but it’s not like we have bad players in our defence. Hence why he marginally improves us.

We control the high ball well which is where he really shines. We need him to lockdown a key forward more than intercepting. Saying that I’d still go for him if not for his age.

It’s more our midfield and the up the ground work can be really good or really bad. On those bad days we could have every star defender in the league and it wouldn’t matter.
Hawks are the best team in the comp for restricting entry’s into d50 but are the second worse once the ball gets in you absolutely could use barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back